Better at interaction with certain age groups

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 12:32 am

I tend to interact with people in different age groups better.

I tend to interact with older people better than younger people. When interacting with someone my age, you would probably guess that I had mild AS, however, when interacting with older people, unless I had a meltdown, you may not realize unless I had a meltdown.

Why do I interact with adults better than peers? I know it's autism-related, but, why could one's social skills be alright with certain people, but not so well with others?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Jan 2011, 12:36 am

Let's see: I related best to adults as a child and teenager. I had more trouble with those in my own age group.

In my 20s, I started hanging out primarily with people my own age, but still related well to people older than me.

In my 30s, I started hanging out primarily with people in their 20s, and not so much with people my own age or older.

I'm 41 now, and this continues to be true.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 12:51 am

I'm the worst at interacting with my current age group. When I was in elementary school, I was more comfortable with adults. In middle school and high, adults and little kids. Now, older adults and kids middle school age or younger.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 2:56 am

Most of my frends are either 5 or 75,
not alot in between.

I bumped into a group of really cool
older folks at the ham radio club
mostly in their 50s to 70s and I
get on very well with them.

I have been alive for 42 years
but the doc tells me I am about