Google starts censoring multiple search terms as of today

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 1:14 pm

Quote:

Weren't sure where to find the best illegal files online and thought you'd turn to Google for help? It just got a wee bit harder. Google is living up to its promise to cut down on enabling piracy through its search engine by removing piracy-related terms from its autocomplete. Now, if you want to find certain sites related to file sharing, you'll have to know exactly what you're looking for if you want it to turn up on Google.

Google's autocomplete feature has become the stuff of legend, turning up strange observations about human nature and helping the world's Internet users get to their Web destinations that much faster. However, users began noticing that searches for BitTorrent, RapidShare, uTorrent, and the like aren't being autocompleted anymore—they'll only show up if you type the complete phrase into the search engine and hit enter.

The change doesn't come as a huge surprise—Google outlined its plan to "prevent terms that are closely associated with piracy from appearing in Autocomplete" in December as part of a new approach to digital copyright. In addition to the autocomplete changes, Google also said that it would work with rightsholders to "expel violators" from AdSense and "experiment to make authorized preview content more readily accessible in search results."

Still, Google's position is controversial, as some of the sites being censored also offer legitimate content, and plenty of other P2P sites (such as the Pirate Bay, Vuze, and MediaFire) are apparently not being censored. "What Google may not realize is that our technology is used for many purposes that provide significant value to the technology industry, companies, artists and consumers at large," BitTorrent VP of Marketing and Product Simon Morris told TorrentFreak.

Vodo founder Jamie King agreed, arguing that Google was willing to censor for China (until it wasn't), and now it's doing the same job for Big Content. "I guess it’s simple: our favorite search monopoly cares less about helping the thousands of independent creators who use BitTorrent to distribute legal, free-to-share content than they do about protecting the interests of Big Media in its death throes," King said.

Source

Don't be evil my ass.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 4:20 pm

I don't count this as censored. I would only count it as censored if it did not allow the torrent sites to not show up at all in the searh results. For example, I type "bitorrent" and press "enter" and a piracy website is the first thing to come up.

Google has had so many lawsuits against it due to content and privacy violations. Some of these lawsuits have been won by the content owners and so they can force Google to change their search engine so as not to help people gain access to copyrighted material.

This is concerning, because it makes one realize that free content, while great in theory, is prone to political, power, and legal battles in practice just like everything else.

"Don't be evil" is hard to be when the powers of the world don't agree on your definition of good.

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 4:36 pm

techn0teen wrote:
For example, I type "bitorrent" and press "enter" and a piracy website is the first thing to come up.

How is a BitTorrent client a piracy website?

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 8:49 pm

kra17 wrote:
How is a BitTorrent client a piracy website?

I am using the content owner's point of view of piracy. If I had to guess, their definition of piracy is more rigid than your own.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 10:50 pm

They already block many words. Anyone who's searching for BitTorrent already knows what they're looking for, I don't think it's going to hurt them all that much.

If they started blocking search results though, I would have a problem with that.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jan 2011, 7:00 am

Nice. The pirate bay shows up though.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 10:35 am

Google has been filtering results for years. This is nothing new.

Lots of legitimate sites I used to go to now no longer appear. Most all results tend to favor advertisers over a more correct match for your search.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 12:09 pm

Turns out we all made a mistake. Google's slogan is actually "don't be evil to advertisers".

Darth_Aspie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Feb 2011, 10:47 pm

Oh no, now the pirates have to hit "Enter" every time they search for "torrent rapidshare warez downloads"! They'll be delayed by entire fractions of a second! The horror!

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 4:05 pm

Darth Aspie, you are right it seems almost trivial what they are doing now. But since we do nothing now (because it is trivial) they will continue to show less and less and eventually stop. This is where google stops being a search engine and starts to become a massive advertisement corporation.
The block on bittorrent is ridiculous.

Biokinetica
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2011, 3:45 am

Darth_Aspie wrote:
Oh no, now the pirates have to hit "Enter" every time they search for "torrent rapidshare warez downloads"! They'll be delayed by entire fractions of a second! The horror!

Yes, that's essentially what's happening. Most people with matured typing speeds will not be deterred by this, but it will stop a few who don't already know what they're looking for when the time to search comes.
Quote:
Darth Aspie, you are right it seems almost trivial what they are doing now. But since we do nothing now (because it is trivial) they will continue to show less and less and eventually stop. This is where google stops being a search engine and starts to become a massive advertisement corporation.
The block on bittorrent is ridiculous.

I agree with your overall point, but I think it's more productive to try and understand what other powers that be are at play. There's no way some engineer in the conference room stood up and said "we just gotta stifle all this free traffic that's keeping us the defacto default search engine on earth". I think this was something the company did as a show of good faith to the broadcast and recording industries (and the broadcasters are also the ISPs now), whom they're going to have to play nice with if they ever want this IPTV thing to get off the ground.

If this is the case, it might be more productive to show that you're willing to pay for content offered in a fair manner, rather than use the "torrents by themselves aren't illegal" argument, which broadcasters are just plain sick of hearing. I agree that it's not the torrents to blame, and it's much more complicated than that, but it's tough making that argument since that's how the majority of piracy occurs.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 4:50 am

Biokinetica wrote:
I think this was something the company did as a show of good faith to the broadcast and recording industries (and the broadcasters are also the ISPs now), whom they're going to have to play nice with if they ever want this IPTV thing to get off the ground.

If this is the case, it might be more productive to show that you're willing to pay for content offered in a fair manner, rather than use the "torrents by themselves aren't illegal" argument, which broadcasters are just plain sick of hearing. I agree that it's not the torrents to blame, and it's much more complicated than that, but it's tough making that argument since that's how the majority of piracy occurs.

As such, I think this is a great compromise. It might just make the big boys a few more moneys and it also doesn't 'hard' censor anything; you can still get your free crap if you want.