i hate facebook, yet i keep one anyway. :/

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 10:39 pm

so..all these people that i used to know from high school are on my friends list on facebook. while i was great friends with at least half a dozen of them in high school, i have little contact today.

so i live in a rural place...but i commuted and recently came out of my shell and went to two parties! started up multiple conversations, both in person and on facebook, introduced people to each other, and....damn... lol..i have tried my f***ing damndest to reconnect, but it ain't happenin. i even tried to reconnect two of my friends (they are kinda talking on facebook) who hadn't contacted each other for a couple years, one of whom said he wanted to hang out with me. now he's being flakey ("busy") and it's really pissing me off...similar story to last time... every time i log in i get mad. i just sit alone all day long.

delete fb, or keep? i feel like id be killing two birds with one stone if i deleted - 1. id stop thinking about this bs, 2. i know i could effect some degree of revenge, some tend to realize what they actually "had" once it's gone... im feelin like theres a downside, but im not quite sure what it is... delete or keep? any thoughts for me? plz&thanx.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 10:54 pm

rocknrollslc wrote:
so..all these people that i used to know from high school are on my friends list on facebook. while i was great friends with at least half a dozen of them in high school, i have little contact today.

so i live in a rural place...but i commuted and recently came out of my shell and went to two parties! started up multiple conversations, both in person and on facebook, introduced people to each other, and....damn... lol..i have tried my f***ing damndest to reconnect, but it ain't happenin. i even tried to reconnect two of my friends (they are kinda talking on facebook) who hadn't contacted each other for a couple years, one of whom said he wanted to hang out with me. now he's being flakey ("busy") and it's really pissing me off...similar story to last time... every time i log in i get mad. i just sit alone all day long.

delete fb, or keep? i feel like id be killing two birds with one stone if i deleted - 1. id stop thinking about this bs, 2. i know i could effect some degree of revenge, some tend to realize what they actually "had" once it's gone... im feelin like theres a downside, but im not quite sure what it is... delete or keep? any thoughts for me? plz&thanx.

Keep it. At first when i got it i did not like speaking to old friends but as time went on i got a bit more used to it, found common ground and met new people across the world and locally with similar interests.

Even if facebook is not good now just use it now and again to see what happens then decide over time.

Arman_Khodaei
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2011, 10:57 pm

I have found Facebook very important for me. But, that may not be the case for everyone.

I have a daily blog that discusses my experiences on the autism spectrum, and a daily YouTube series to compliment it. Please check them out. I also have a podcast that is updated weekly including an Al

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2011, 11:09 pm

I was just going to post a separate thread about Facebook, as I have just started to use it and only have a couple of "friends" so its making me feel that old insecurity/inferiority that I used to feel in high school (about thirty years ago!!) Some people have hundreds of friends--how do they do this?

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 11:35 pm

thanks for the answers patrick and arman.

@pekkla - i have 195 friends.. i was in youth group in high school, and for me, meeting new people came farrrr more naturally in a socially structured environment.

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 1:32 am

i should also point out this really isn't just about the reconnection i was speaking of earlier. it's just that over the past year and a half, facebook hasn't served much purpose. maybe i've just answered my own question, i really dunno....

Allstar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2011, 11:25 am

Facebook profiles = popularity poles

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2011, 1:49 pm

Allstar wrote:

Yeah--which explains why I feel like I'm in high school again Very hard to understand how people get 200+ friends. :(

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 3:21 pm

Allstar wrote:

Maybe your friends are all twits?

Try and befriend some more interesting/less egotistical people.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2011, 9:04 pm

rocknrollslc wrote:

I would say keep your facebook. You might make new friends IRL that you want to add on facebook and have meaningful relationships with them.

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 1:35 am

seems i'll be keepin it for now. im pissed.