Do library books make you want to wash your hands?

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 11:56 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
Immune system.
Mine works.

And what happens if a person with a communicable disease, such as HIV, handled a book that you later handled? What's the probability of transference?

I couldn't say offhand, but I'd imagine that the chances would be about the same as catching HIV from a toilet seat, which, as I understand it, are low.
What if someone sick sat on a park bench that I rested my hands on while sitting on it? What if someone coughs on me on the train?
I'm not going to stop doing things that I enjoy, such as going to parks, catching trains and reading books that I can't afford to buy, just because of some small risk of illness.

Stopping? Not saying to do that. However, I still find it disconcerting to think of how easily any disease can spread within a city.

Do you know of any citywide or larger epidemics that could be realistically traced back to germs transmitted via library books?

No, and since I don't know there is therefore no probability of pathogen transfer?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 12:05 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
Immune system.
Mine works.

And what happens if a person with a communicable disease, such as HIV, handled a book that you later handled? What's the probability of transference?

I couldn't say offhand, but I'd imagine that the chances would be about the same as catching HIV from a toilet seat, which, as I understand it, are low.
What if someone sick sat on a park bench that I rested my hands on while sitting on it? What if someone coughs on me on the train?
I'm not going to stop doing things that I enjoy, such as going to parks, catching trains and reading books that I can't afford to buy, just because of some small risk of illness.

Stopping? Not saying to do that. However, I still find it disconcerting to think of how easily any disease can spread within a city.

Do you know of any citywide or larger epidemics that could be realistically traced back to germs transmitted via library books?

No, and since I don't know there is therefore no probability of pathogen transfer?

That's not what I'm saying at all; what I'm saying is that since it is so rarely recorded, at least as far as both of us know, then the probability of widespread infection would seem to be low.
I would think that pathogen transfer would be likely, since microorganisms are tough little things, but not likely in high enough numbers to cause widespread illness.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 12:09 am

I'm more worried about fines. I seem to have a hard time remembering to return the books.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 12:19 am

Jediscraps wrote:
I'm more worried about fines. I seem to have a hard time remembering to return the books.

That's one reason I prefer to buy any books I read: I have all the time I need to read them. If I have a deadline to keep, my goal shifts from reading to merely making sure the deadline is kept.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 11:35 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
Immune system.
Mine works.

The probability of transference is zero. The HIV virus cannot live outside the body, which is why it can only be transmitted through sexual contact or blood transfusion/shared needles. You can't catch HIV from an infected person by shaking hands with them or breathing the same air, much less from reading a library book they have handled.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 11:46 am

Quote:

if it was a book about washing my hands in a special and fun way eg. "the joys of hand washing", then i guess so.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 11:47 am

No.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 11:55 am

I have a mild case of Mysophobia, so I usually carry instant hand santiser inside of my pocket at all times. When visiting the library, this hand sanitiser comes in highly useful.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 12:23 am

I am your worst nightmare. :twisted:

I read about 10 library books a week.
I read them while having a bath.
I read them while sitting on the toilet.
I read them while eating and spill crumbs on them.

And worst of all sometimes I use the corners of the pages to clean under my fingernails or pick my teeth. :twisted:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 12:26 am

Wombat wrote:
I am your worst nightmare. :twisted:

I read about 10 library books a week.
I read them while having a bath.
I read them while sitting on the toilet.
I read them while eating and spill crumbs on them.

And worst of all sometimes I use the corners of the pages to clean under my fingernails or pick my teeth. :twisted:

Longitude and Latitude so that I may relay your terrestrial coordinates to my fleet in orbit, please? :twisted:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 9:27 am

b9 wrote:
Quote:

if it was a book about washing my hands in a special and fun way eg. "the joys of hand washing", then i guess so.

:lol:

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 11:48 am

Quote:
And worst of all sometimes I use the corners of the pages to clean under my fingernails or pick my teeth.

8O Nooo!! !! !

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 1:50 am

ryan93 wrote:
Quote:
And worst of all sometimes I use the corners of the pages to clean under my fingernails or pick my teeth.

8O Nooo!! !! !

I was tempted to type the same comment.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 1:56 am

I think I'd wash my hands anywhere I went after touching any types of objects that aren't clean :?. It's not like every time I touch something I go wash my hands, but before I eat or touch my eyes or whatever... I definitely wash my hands. So yeah I'd wash my hands eventually after touching a library book... just like I would because I had to grip the handle of the door to enter the place :P. Hehe, the door handle would probably be dirtier than any book inside :lol:

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 2:12 am

I can't remember the last time I stepped into a library let alone touched a book in one.

Books of any age leave a gritty dusty feeling on my hands which I don't like, so I'd end up washing my hands after touching them anyway.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 3:26 am

The last time I read a library book I got a paper cut to the eyeball from reading without my safety glasses on.