What people do for fun.. how the hell is it fun?! !

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2006, 11:03 am

Ok, so some people from work were going out for some drinks.

I only ever drink to get drunk, because I find the taste of alcohol absolutely PUTRID. SO I throw down a few glasses of the stuff trying not to gag in the process. It's revolting, it tastes like turpentine. So this part of the night was no fun at all.

Random people that come and talk to me make me feel akward. I said I was a lesbian to one to try and get rid of him but I ended up having to pretend to go somewhere else.

By this stage, I was still not drunk, and couldn't bear the thought of any more revolting alcohol. I danced heaps, but at about 3am the noise started getting to me, and I was getting bored. How can people do this and not get bored? It's so boring. No mind fulfilling talk, work, creativity or stuff. You can't hear what people are saying anyway, even if you yell.

In the end I was so bored, and I was begininng to have a brain shutdown because of the horrible music, so I just yelled "I'm leaving" and walked out.

The solution is not to do it, but I used to find this enjoyable to a degree, but I just don't understand why NT's love it so much.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2006, 11:16 am

Because... I guess some people find it fun. Many people don't, which is why they don't do it. I've just been out for a pint on my own for the first time. I'm 18. It's a slow process but eventually I'll be my own man. :)

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2006, 11:54 am

It's not fun. It's just that people go to show themselves off or numb their minds or look for Mr. or Ms. Right (which is really stupid). Some ADHD or hyperactive and self-destructive people that I have known actually do think it is fun. They are drawn to noise, crowd, drama and buzz! Some people go to avoid going home and can't find anything else to do. Some people actually enjoy listening to the music or seeing a live band. Some like to go so they can dance. Some go for the pool table (that would be me).

That's all the reasons that I can think of. I agree with you that it is mostly unsatisfying and gets downright irritating after awhile.

emp
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2006, 12:17 pm

I think it is one of the least enjoyable ways to spend an evening. I have tolerated such evenings on occasion. It is not fun at all. Typically it is nothing more than a boring social obligation for me, and I am just waiting for it to end.

Some people must have really low standards for fun. Or they are just so damn lazy and disorganized that they cannot bring themselves to organize doing something that is actually fun, or they leave it all until the last second, and then there is nothing else to do other than go out for drinks. So they go out for drinks just by default. Or they just lack the brainpower necessary to have the inspiration to do something better. It is ridiculous.

I am a member of an active outdoor adventures club, and I find that these people tend to organize more interesting things to do. For example, instead of inviting people out to drinks, the last thing I was invited to was lawn bowls + drinks. Now, I know lawn bowls is not the most exciting thing in the world, but I can tell you that this event was certainly better than the standard going out for drinks crapola. (i.e. it was not fantastic, but it was substantially above average.)

-----------------

As for getting drunk, my blunt opinion is that I think it is a stupid thing to do. There are a million better and more enjoyable things to do than get drunk. Getting drunk is the lowest standard for having fun.

The older a person becomes, the more stupid it is for them to get drunk, because the worse their hangover the next day. By the time they are 35 or maybe 40, they spend more hours feeling like crap than they do feeling good while intoxicated. i.e. the hangover time is longer than the drunk time. It is ridiculous.

Furthermore, most people have NO real idea about what their behavior is like when they are intoxicated. They typically act like morons and they either do not remember their behavior at all, or they remember it inaccurately. It is a medical fact that being intoxicated with alcohol screws with your memory.

If you have never seen a video of yourself when intoxicated, then most likely you do NOT know what you are like when intoxicated, or have an inaccurate idea of it.

Imagine if every so often, you behaved in a certain way, and you were unaware of what that way was. A scary thought, no? Well, that is what getting drunk is like for most people. Many people will insist they know their drunk personality, but no person accurately knows it until they have seen a video of it later when sober.

Re the taste of alcohol, beer and wine taste like crap to me. However for me, it is not the ethanol that tastes bad, it is something else about beer and wine. And if anyone is thinking that I am just inexperienced, that is rubbish, I have sampled numerous alcoholic beverages and I know of ones that taste great to me, and ones that taste like crap (and beer and wine are almost always in the crap category).

-----------------

Regarding going out for dancing, friends tell me that there are better ways to enjoy dancing than at some crappy pub or nightclub. For example, joining a weekly latin salsa dancing class, or whatever rocks your boat -- there are various dancing options that make nightclubs look like the worst choice for dancing. Or so I am told.

-----------------

Is it not true that nightclubs are just a phase that everyone grows out of, some quicker than others. No? Correct me if I am wrong, but the older people become, the less likely they are to go to a nightclub. It is just a temporary phase for a certain age group -- I think this is a true statement ?

Sundy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2006, 12:40 pm

I like going out like that on occasion. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, you'll never find me at a club/bar later than 2:00...and only that late if I've gotten there late. On Monday night, I went to watch a friend of mine play guitar at a club/bar. I went the Monday before and it wasn't too busy, but the next Monday, the place was packed. I didn't even go with anyone else I knew. But, I stayed until 2:30 because I found other people I knew and then I was helping my friend out after his show. Even when I was there hanging out, I didn't drink so much that I became intoxicated.

I drink beer. I like it. It likes me (unlike liquor which makes me beligerent...not cool). I don't like being drunk because I hate that feeling. But I am always up for getting a beer somewhere. I like going to bars with one or two other people. But I really like bars that are nearly empty. When I was at my friend's show on Monday, there were way too many people there and I got anxious. There was just a little too much going on. A good thing about knowing the person on stage is that they can see you and if some weirdo starts chatting you up, you can always say, "I'm here with the guitar player." They get the hint real fast.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2006, 12:51 pm

I don't go anywhere near bars/clubs. The only alcohol I drink is wine at communion (I'm Lutheran, BTW).

Tim

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2006, 12:52 pm

I don't go anywhere near bars/clubs. The only alcohol I drink is wine at communion (I'm Lutheran, BTW).

Tim

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2006, 1:06 pm

Alcohol smells bad and wine tastes really bad.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2006, 1:23 pm

emp wrote: I am a member of an active outdoor adventures club, and I find that these people tend to organize more interesting things to do. For example, instead of inviting people out to drinks, the last thing I was invited to was lawn bowls + drinks. Now, I know lawn bowls is not the most exciting thing in the world, but I can tell you that this event was certainly better than the standard going out for drinks crapola. (i.e. it was not fantastic, but it was substantially above average.)

I agree with everything you said (except I think wine tastes delicious), but what in the heck is "lawn bowls"??

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2006, 1:23 pm

I don't think NTs enjoy actually getting drunk.

When drinking the typical NT ((talk about word redunancy))
.goes with friends
.talk to people they wouldn't normally ((loss of inhibitions))

I think it's more the social aspect.

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2006, 1:28 pm

For the most part everything you said sums up how I feel about going out and drinking. I find it heinously boring and it's more often than not completely unfun to get get trashed. The only time I've found any of this truely fun was when I was with some pretty rare individuals who made it fun. Otherwise I've come to the conclusion that the experience absolutely sucks.

I had been very sparing, only drinking on the rarest occasions when I thought it might be worthwhile. But now I practically do not drink at all.

Most people respect that and just lemme play the role of DD when I'm with them, but it makes me really mad nowadays when someone starts insisting I drink. Used to, I would drink a little something to keep up appearances but now I don't even bother. These days if someone isn't going to take no for an answer, I'm proactive and I'm quick to tell them to respect my space or "f*** off". Most people see this as a surprisingly hostile move from me (I'm generally seen as a really nice, layed back guy), so they quickly get out of my business and I'm able to enjoy the rest of my evening as much as possible.

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2006, 1:41 pm

Get cola.

It's black dog if anyone asks.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2006, 2:15 pm

I've gotten bored at a club and said "I'm leaving" and walked out without another word. Must appear quite random to the other people!

I like to drink but I HATE dancing. How is it fun at all? Useless expenditure of calories without any benefit.

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2006, 2:23 pm

Iammeandnooneelse wrote:
Get cola.

It's black dog if anyone asks.

I used to do something like this at parties (the ol' vodka in orange trick), but it's not to my taste. I'm a forthright, candid person which is one of the things people respect me for -- I've found lots of ways besides being simply gregarious to earn respect and friends. I'm something of a strait shooter, so I either let the respect other people have for me precede me or I tell someone deadpan what I'm all about, while respecting that other person for what they are as long as they respect me. People appreciate me for that style and these days a don't have any use for pretending I'm doing something which I am not.

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jul 2006, 3:58 pm

Wow, for most of my adult life(well since about 13 really) i've been telling people how dull, boring and tedious going out pubbing and clubbing is and this is the first time i've met anyone( et alone several people) who agreed with me. WOW!!
I don't really like pubs and i hate clubbing. All that noise, drinking and giggling. I get bored, start stimming from the stress and end up getting completly overloaded by the lights, noise ect. then i sort of phaze out completly until whomever i'm with rescues me at going home time.
i used to really like dancing - cant for medical reasons now - and spent about 6 months when i was 18 or so, going to a goth club once a week. Because i loved the music, i could spend the night dancing, wouldn't have to talk to any drunken idiots and could cope with the sensory overload. I kind of phazed out into the music.

And that is the extent of my enjoyment with clubs! I rarely go now. Pubs are ok if their not crowded or too noisy but i can't relax in them and never choose to go to one. I only go if friends invite me. whic is about once every 4 months or so....just the way i like it!

AaronAgassi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2006, 4:56 pm

Mindless recreation often really only means the desperate struggle for oblivion in order to recover from the stress of work, and on one's own time and at one's own expense. Whereas any true fulfilment is by far the more demanding.