Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Do you get very nervous when you have to give a speech in front of the entire class?
All the time 34%  34%  [ 21 ]
All the time 34%  34%  [ 21 ]
Sometimes 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
Sometimes 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
Never 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Never 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 62

Bashful
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2005, 2:57 pm

I get extremely nervous when I have to speak in front of the entire class.

dce
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2005, 3:01 pm

I get very nervous if I have to speak in a group of people larger than about 4 or 5 people. This included just normal conversation

As a side note I also get nervous putting my opinions out in a place that more than about the same number of people will see. That is one of the reasons I don't comment on more posts.

Astro
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jan 2005, 3:56 pm

When I was in grade school, I could not do oral presentations. I'd make any excuse or take a failing grade to avoid public speaking.

In high school I got better and was able to talk in class in response to questions etc. It seemed that if i was an "expert" in something, I had no difficulty expressing myself.

When I got older, I started a company and HAD to give public presentations. The interesting thing was that I didn't get all that nervous speaking in front of tens or hundreds of people because, again, I was an expert at the given topic, which gave me great confidence.

I still flub in social gatherings of more than 2-4 people because usually I don't have any confidence in what I'm saying. And I usually don't mind posting on-line because it's so anonymous.

PeredeMocha
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jan 2005, 5:34 pm

I got heckled in HS giving a speech. Lauged at . To show you what a loser I am, one of those [edited by moderator - racial slur deleted] who heckled me, became the only person who I ever really talked to during high shcool. He talked to me jst to put me down and criticize me. I got straight A's and got into 2 Ivy League schools, but I still got s**t dumped on me by him. Is there ANY treatment for AvPD or AS? i've the lowest self-esteem. Worthlessfeelings all the time.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2005, 5:39 pm

Bill Clinton always asks for oral presentations...

I feel so dirty...

Astro

09 Jan 2005, 8:00 pm

Quote:
I got straight A's and got into 2 Ivy League schools, but I still got sh** dumped on me by him. Is there ANY treatment for AvPD or AS? i've the lowest self-esteem. Worthlessfeelings all the time.

Sucks to be you, eh?

I can relate. My best advice is to know that you can get the last laugh by using your gifts to make something of yourself while those losers will be buried in your home town after having added little positive to the world.

I was major geek in HS. Science club. Computers. Astronomy. Then I went off and started a software company while in college (1984). Now, I can go to the grave knowing that I've made a positive difference in many lives.

Realize your potential! People will ridicule you out of their own insecurity and inadequacy. I know it's practically impossible to not let their derision bring you down. But if you keep reminding yourself that these other people are absolutely insignificant and have no bearing on your ultimate happiness, that can help. Worked for me :-)

Also, bag the negative talk. Telling everybody that you're a loser programs your own brain to think that you are one. That will work against you later in life because, sooner or later, you end up actually believing it. You're far better off reminding yourself that you're a brilliant person who will become the best *insert your obsession here* the world has known.

Good luck!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2005, 4:51 am

I do get nervous. Beacause of that, I don't do as well as I could.. I usually get good marks for my clear and loud voice, but I juat hate being stared at by so many people. :(

If I didn't have to look at them it would be different.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2005, 8:53 pm

Ugh... I am never able to speak properly when in front of people. I fumble over all the words, forget what I am supposed to say. My mind just slows down to a snails pace. Luckily I haven't had to do it too much.

I even took a speech class in high school. Didn't help too much, but I did improve over the course of the class. I guess like anything if I do it enough, I'll eventually grow accustomed to it and it will come naturally. But as it is I have tons of problems.

I just hope I am ever called upon to give a speech in front of a boss, it seems as the pressure goes up the more I choke.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2005, 11:21 pm

In my first semester of college (now four and 1/2 years ago), I took public speaking. I had to give several oral presentations, each timed and graded in areas such as flow, eye contact, language use, content, among other things.

During one presentation, which was to be six minutes long, I was so nervous I sped thru it so fast and failed it since my six minutes actually turned out to be 2:54.

One classmate said to me "Nice speech, too bad we couldn't understand a word of it you said"

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2005, 11:29 pm

Quote:
During one presentation, which was to be six minutes long, I was so nervous I sped thru it so fast and failed it since my six minutes actually turned out to be 2:54.

This reminds me of my speech class. The first couple of speeches I did were way off... much too short. Then later in the class I did a speech that went way too long, nearly twice the time I was alloted.

One of the last speeches I did, I finally got it right though. It was on the pythagorean theorem and various proofs of it. It was actually the one time where I actually was effective at doing a speech.