Which do you prefer Fantasy or Science Fiction universe?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2011, 8:44 pm

I prefer Science fiction universe my self. I for some reason think that most people with AS would pick Science fiction over fanfasy but I am not sure about that. What is your oppinion.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 8:56 pm

I would also prefer a science fiction universe. I'd get to play with all those quasi-futureistic toys. Just think about it....Austin Powers in Space. :razz:

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 9:03 pm

I don't see the barrier between science fiction and fantasy :?. If I were to choose one though, I'd pick fantasy just because it can also include sci-fi, but sci-fi can't be all fantasy :P

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Feb 2011, 10:22 pm

I pick science fiction to. I never been a huge fan of fantasy maybe because I wasn't exposed to it as much when I was younger. StarTrek was on a lot & there were other syfy shows on to but I don't recall any fantasy shows unless those shows specifically for kids count. I think Aspies may prefer science fiction because Aspies tend to be interested in computers & other science stuff because it's more logical, This post might should be a poll

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 10:25 pm

I'm a Science Fiction kinda guy....only problem is there isn't enough GOOD science fiction out there.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:22 am

While I enjoy a little of both, I much prefer fantasy, because you can stretch the audience's suspension of disbelief further with fantasy than you can with science fiction. With science fiction everything has to at least sound plausible, whereas with fantasy, things don't have to make sense for them to be awesome. Also, the settings and costumes in fantasy works tend to be more... well... fantastical and whimsical rather than futuristic and technology-driven as one would find in sci-fi.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:22 am

science fiction, preferably a space opera.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Feb 2011, 12:29 am

IdahoRose wrote:
While I enjoy a little of both, I much prefer fantasy, because you can stretch the audience's suspension of disbelief further with fantasy than you can with science fiction. With science fiction everything has to at least sound plausible, whereas with fantasy, things don't have to make sense for them to be awesome. Also, the settings and costumes in fantasy works tend to be more... well... fantastical and whimsical rather than futuristic and technology-driven as one would find in sci-fi.

That may be one of the rezones why I like science fiction. It makes sense when I analyze it. Shows that don't make sense tend to confuse me unless their comedies. Might be related to being logical

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 03 Feb 2011, 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:30 am

I'd prefer a mix of both.

But to choose, hmm.
I'm going to pick fantasy because magic is awesome. Unless it's disgusting à la Harry Potter. (opinion)
Ahhh, and evil gods. And demons. :D

When it comes to tv shows and movies, I'd pick sci-fi. Tends to be more interesting.
Fantasy stuff in tv and movies tends to be awfully über-cliché stuff like Legend of the Seeker :lol:
It can be awkward to watch.
...I did get into that one though, it got more interesting after the first season. Still had the awkwardness, though.

But I really like both fantasy and science fiction :)
I most like the kinds where there are races other than humans involved.

utherdoul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2011, 1:35 am

I enjoy sci-fi and fantasy but sci-fi will always be my favorite. Theres only so much you can do with magic, swords, and demons.

rereading the Golden Age trilogy by John C. Wright one of the best series I've read in a long time.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 2:01 am

Fantasy, because it has less of a limit and include just about anything.

But with actual media, I find a lot more science fiction to be tolerable than fantasy which is so often rubbish.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 3:56 am

Sci-Fi esp. Space Opera

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 4:16 am

Like Lace-Bane, I don't consider there to be any significant difference between the two. But if I had to pick, fantasy. Firstly, because sci-fi has too much spaceships and robots and what-not, which I only enjoy as antagonists. I prefer my fictional worlds to be more Biological in nature. Living things are just cooler. I also like how fantasy gives power to philosophy and conviction.

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 9:19 am

I like better science-fiction, but especially a kind of sci-fi which is not too futuristic. I liked more the Terminator, Starship Troopers, Battlestar Galactica, 1984 or Cthulhu Mythos universes than Foundation, Dune or Star Wars ones.

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 9:29 am

Yeah... I prefer not-too-advanced sci-fi myself. I really like life in the X-universe. I've spent 100s of hours there...

On a side note, I'd say Star Wars is a good example of a Fantasy World with science fiction elements rather than pure sci-fi.

Sam2001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Feb 2011, 9:31 am

I would have to go for Science fiction. I like the futuristic cities. Look at the film Metropolis it was set in a future but the people were driving cars and wearing clothes from the 1920's. Though I enjoyed Harry Potter I always find that when I watch fantasy it seems to be set in place with no technology like the middle ages.