Dark Souls (the spiritual succesor to Demon's Souls)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 11:36 pm

Here's the trailer, although I suggest checking out youtube so you can fullscreen it in all its glory:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEZHPuUBZh4[/youtube]

Some additional info:

-Multiplatform: will launch on both the PS3 and 360
-There will be a lot more exploration in Dark Souls, featuring wide open. seamless fields in which to traverse. Anything you see on screen, you can reach. That castle or dungeon in the background? You will get there eventually.
-The game has no map, just a position marker.
-Dark Souls will be as challenging as Demon's Souls. The team wants a game that will be tough, but ultimately rewarding. A sense of achievement is paramount.
-The game will play similarly to Demon's Souls. The plan is to kill you a lot, so you get better.
-Dark Souls is not set in the same world as Demon's Souls, and will have an original story. It will not have the same "hub" format, either, instead featuring a variety of maps connected to a seamless open world.
-Level designs will be more complex.
-Inspired by medieval dark fantasy, contains themes like "high fantasy of kings and knights", "death and the depths of the earth", and "the flames of chaos."
-Players will get a lot more freedom with how they choose to play the game. Character creation will not be class based. The number of spells and weapons will be increased, as will attack animations.
-Co-op and PvP will appear, with online connectivity similar to that of Demon's Souls. Just like the last game, you can watch other players die, and read messages they leave behind.
-No Soul Tendency this time, as the studio doesn't want dedicate servers. Instead the focus will be on "mutual roleplaying", something that will be detailed at another time.

So who else is excited? I know I am.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 8:35 pm

It looks interesting, but not promising. Having a different team make the game could be a setup for epic failure, and I would place money on the fact that if the game doesn't use dedicated servers... the multi-player element will likely be horrendously unplayable do to lag. There's no fun in a game that can kill you quickly when your character doesn't respond quick enough due to a cruddy host connection :roll:.

Aside from those two things though it does look fairly intriguing... I'll probably be more interested when more info and actual game play footage comes out about the game :).

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 10:14 pm

Lace-Bane wrote:
It looks interesting, but not promising. Having a different team make the game could be a setup for epic failure, and I would place money on the fact that if the game doesn't use dedicated servers... the multi-player element will likely be horrendously unplayable do to lag. There's no fun in a game that can kill you quickly when your character doesn't respond quick enough due to a cruddy host connection :roll:.

Aside from those two things though it does look fairly intriguing... I'll probably be more interested when more info and actual game play footage comes out about the game :).

From software, the original developing team, is still making the game, they just can't call it demon's souls 2 cause Sony owns the rights to the name.

Also, more info:

Got plenty of screenshots on this article, just click to enlarge:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... Dark-Souls

A Q&A with the director of the team:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/ ... more-44673

A preview of some (not all) of the things to come in the game:
http://www.destructoid.com/dark-souls-t ... 3226.phtml

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 10:28 pm

Oh alright :D... I had forgotten it was done by fromsoftware because Atlus is stamped on the front, but had forgotten it was fromsoftware who made it. There is hope for a really good game then 8)

I have to say I'm intrigued that the game will not be based on a hub world like Demon's Souls. I didn't like that it didn't really feel much like a world when none of the worlds were connected. Also in Demon's Souls there didn't feel like there was a whole lot to do once you mastered the game... because the worlds just felt incomplete to explore as if every area was just meant for killing things.

Dark Souls does look very interesting to Lace-Bane :D