Space
Veteran
Veteran

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 9:49 pm

RIP Jordan.

I dislike violence and hatred of any amount.

It is a burden on our society which I am optimistic can be changed if we lived in a less materialistic society and started to show compassion towards everyone.

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Feb 2011, 6:13 pm

"Swarmed"-a new term for Neurotypical cowardice.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 7:14 pm

Luckily they are being tried in the Dominican Republic where they will face a stiffer sentence. I hope our government lets them serve their sentences down there in which case it will be the full sentence. I have more faith in the Dominican system than I do the Canadian one where people can kill an autistic and walk away. I hope my tax dollars are not being wasted in assisting these NTs. If our govt assists them Harper can kiss my vote goodbye since i will no longer vote Conservative if that happens. I would also cancel my conservative party membership.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 11:18 am

I know this is off topic because the two boys were over the age of 20, but in Canada doesn't the legal system pretty much make it easy to get away with murder if you're under a certain age? I've seen two episodes of Deadly Women on Investigation Discovery where teenage girls commited really gruesome murders on their own families and only served very minor prison sentences for it. What's really messed up is that Canadian law protects their true identities so that the public won't know what evil monsters they are when they get released from prison.

I think that's ****ed up. People can talk about America's "violent teenagers", but at least we actually punish them and keep them locked up when they commit murders.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 1:33 pm

agmoie wrote:
"Swarmed"-a new term for Neurotypical cowardice.

That is nothing but appalling egoism.

First, you make the unwarranted assumption that the assailants were NTs. That might well be the case, but there is nothing to support that assumption. Second, by focussing in on Jordan's AS and his assailant's supposed typicality, you draw the implication that the swarming was due to Jordan's AS. Again there is nothing to support that assumption.

This is a repugnant crime of violence against a person who, coincidentally, was an Aspie. But let's not drag out our deck of victim cards and start playing the, "Aspies are better than NTs because..." game. That is an insult to NTs, an insult to Aspies and an insult to Jordan.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 1:43 pm

Tory_canuck wrote:
Luckily they are being tried in the Dominican Republic where they will face a stiffer sentence.

Actually, they won't. The maximum penalty they would face in the Dom.Rep. will be 30 years. In Canada they would face life imprisonment.

Quote:
I hope our government lets them serve their sentences down there in which case it will be the full sentence.

I hope to see the end of a political view that sees people's rights as citizens end before they are even convicted of an offence, a political view that suggests that government is free to pick and choose among its citizens who will receive the benefits of citizenship and who will not.

If Canada has signed a transfer of offenders treaty with the Dominican Republic, then Canada has an obligation to receive and fairly consider an application from a Canadian citizen imprisoned in the Dominican Republic.

Quote:
I have more faith in the Dominican system than I do the Canadian one where people can kill an autistic and walk away.

Typical inflammatory language. Cite your case, and let's talk about the legal principles behind it. Don't mask your political arrogance behind the sound bite.

Quote:
I hope my tax dollars are not being wasted in assisting these NTs.

How do you know that they are NTs? Would the tax dollars be wasted if they were Aspies like their victim?

Every Canadian is entitled to consular assistance. Even NTs.

Quote:
If our govt assists them Harper can kiss my vote goodbye since i will no longer vote Conservative if that happens. I would also cancel my conservative party membership.

Given where you live, that is an entirely irrelevant and empty gesture. But every conservative who sits on their hands on polling day is good for the Liberals, so more power to you.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 2:18 am

Life imprisonment in Canada is 25 years then parole which is for first degree murder. These punks will most likely be convicted of second degree murder at the most and get a lesser sentence or manslaughter which carries an even lesser sentence since the killing was not premeditated. And there is no guarentee they will serve the full sentence for any cuz criminals can be let out after serving 2/3 of their sentence. The Conservatives are trying to get rid of that and put forth mandatory minimum sentencing but the Fiberals, bloc heads, and dippers are preventing that. Im sure they wont mind living next to a halfway house for sex offenders and murderers.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 9:42 pm

The article says that they face 30 years under Dominican law. You may not know it but the penalties for murder in Canada are quite severe, with some of the longest sentences. Dominican law is not so severe.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 11:54 am

visagrunt wrote:
Tory_canuck wrote:
Luckily they are being tried in the Dominican Republic where they will face a stiffer sentence.

Actually, they won't. The maximum penalty they would face in the Dom.Rep. will be 30 years. In Canada they would face life imprisonment.

Quote:
I hope our government lets them serve their sentences down there in which case it will be the full sentence.

I hope to see the end of a political view that sees people's rights as citizens end before they are even convicted of an offence, a political view that suggests that government is free to pick and choose among its citizens who will receive the benefits of citizenship and who will not.

If Canada has signed a transfer of offenders treaty with the Dominican Republic, then Canada has an obligation to receive and fairly consider an application from a Canadian citizen imprisoned in the Dominican Republic.

Quote:
I have more faith in the Dominican system than I do the Canadian one where people can kill an autistic and walk away.

Typical inflammatory language. Cite your case, and let's talk about the legal principles behind it. Don't mask your political arrogance behind the sound bite.

Quote:
I hope my tax dollars are not being wasted in assisting these NTs.

How do you know that they are NTs? Would the tax dollars be wasted if they were Aspies like their victim?

Every Canadian is entitled to consular assistance. Even NTs.

Quote:
If our govt assists them Harper can kiss my vote goodbye since i will no longer vote Conservative if that happens. I would also cancel my conservative party membership.

Given where you live, that is an entirely irrelevant and empty gesture. But every conservative who sits on their hands on polling day is good for the Liberals, so more power to you.

Murder and Justice topic

I too was upset when I found out Jordan was AS. I was angry that he might have been targeted. My son knew of him and he was known as a nice, if quirky guy around where I live in Barrie. According to my local paper, Jordan's father said he was not having an Aspie moment before his murder took place.

Of course, the two men who have been charged with his murder will see justice dealt, no matter where it is. And if they are sent back to Canada, they will not be set free. One of the accused is facing charges that were not addressed when he left the country. What I would like to know is how and why this negligence occurred, and how to prevent this in future. :evil:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 4:13 pm

In Canada inmates serve sentences concurrently so he will get a two for one deal. Also like I said, they will at the most only face a second degree murder charge or manslaughter which carries much shorter sentences along with the almost guarentee of early release after 2/3 of their sentence. If Khadr is brought back to Canada, he will be released when he touches Canadian soil because of how our system works. If we had mandatory minimums with no early release that would be another story but fiberals have made our system more favourable to the rights of criminals than the victims. I hope Justin's family SUES the killers in civil court and then sieze their homes and assets because that will be the only justice they will get if the killers are repatriated.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 11:53 pm

That's very sad. :cry:

I hope that one day we will live in a world that's accepting of all differences.