Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

E-FrameZenderblast
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2011, 2:17 am

Is being wrong not necessarily a part of learning, of becoming right? To learn from your mistakes? Of all people, I would not have expected this from you, Philologos. You should not despise being wrong. To me, you seem like a sort of Socrates of the modern age, reading some of your posts (though some of it may just be the language you use, which I greatly admire for its strangeness and beauty). Being wrong is awful, being right is awful when my friends refuse to admit defeat, but we are mere humans. We are fallible, even you, and to believe that you can not make mistakes is just stupidity no matter how logical you are. Some times I have been constructing a theory, and reached a dead end, trying to look ever deeper, but I then find the answer is on the surface.

Being wrong just tells you that one way does not work, and so you will have one less way to worry about.

And I would not even know the difference between starlings and cowbirds myself, the latter of which I have never heard of before. The fact that you know that one of them lays its eggs in other birds' nests merely shows how great your general knowledge is (unless you are possessed of a desire to study birds).

By the way, you should read the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it is brilliant.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 9:40 am

E-frame - Oh, I have read it. There is in fact a lot of good stuff there, though I generally like my sci fi older and more obviously serious.

I am old enough that I can take my fallibility philosophically - pretending it is like the flaw several ethnic groups including fround here the Norse are said to put in their crafyings "intentionally" as a tribute to the fact only God is perfect. I no longer try to bluff or cover it up.

But as I have said, protoplasm does not learn. When I goof in private these days, no big deal.. But when I goof publicly, it still bothers me a minute. In this case I decided to flow with it.

At least I never was about to kill myself for committing a stupidity - else would I not be here.

I CAN still blush at my big 5th grade public mistake - an honest mistake based on indequate data, but it does not help. Think of it - scattered around the plandet are 20+ people my age who might any day remermber that and point at me the finger of scorn!

mightypen515
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2011, 1:49 am

It's not "Yes I can go bananas," it's "Yes we have no bananas."

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 2:08 am

Das weiss ich.

I language play for fun and profit and emphasis.

Point being I am capable A of random errors and B of irrational reactions.

-----

Does anyone know :

Was Yes we have no bananas inspired by hearing someone utter this perfectly grammatical and wellformed utterance and recognizing it as linguistically interesting, or is it just based on ethnic stereotyping like Polish jokes , Pat and Mike jokes, and the song Manana [I am too tired to go through wahat it takes to insert a tilde]?

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 3:29 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7fhoYu8FJc&feature=related[/youtube]

This is slightly off topic, but does anybody else think Weird Al should parody this song by making the main chorus "liberate bananas"?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 10:28 am

Would Woody Allen be offended or need to sign off?

Combining Liberate and Bananas might pose legal issues.

He was better before he decided to be arty.