Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 4:13 am

Once you don't give a s**t about drama and you figure out who causes it, you don't have to deal with it. I have very few family members on it for that reason.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Feb 2011, 12:56 pm

bigbadbeast2007 wrote:
I dont hate facebook, but I hate when family and freinds sending stupid app and game requests. :evil:
I only use it catch up and chat. (not that half my freinds go out of there way) but it's probably just me!

Just make a generalized announcement, like I did. I said something like: "To all my friends on FB, please don't invite me to play games. I am avoiding apps on FB because of past problems. Thank you." Hope that helps! :)

redlightgreenarrow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2011, 1:53 am

I hate Facebook as well. I hate seeing how popular my "friends" are and I am just at the very bottom of their list, and they only added me as a friend to increase their friend count. I then see all the wonderful things that so and so did together etc, and it just makes me depressed. I stay off.

bigbadbeast2007
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2011, 2:57 am

hartzofspace wrote:
bigbadbeast2007 wrote:
I dont hate facebook, but I hate when family and freinds sending stupid app and game requests. :evil:
I only use it catch up and chat. (not that half my freinds go out of there way) but it's probably just me!

Just make a generalized announcement, like I did. I said something like: "To all my friends on FB, please don't invite me to play games. I am avoiding apps on FB because of past problems. Thank you." Hope that helps! :)

Already done! now let's see if it continues! :D

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Feb 2011, 2:16 pm

Also, I mistakenly sent a friend request. When I realized my mistake, I tried to cancel it, but couldn't find it! I went to the help section, and asked how to delete a friend request, and it said to just go to the requests page and cancel it. Well,, there was no sign of my request, yet when I go to this person's page, it is still saying that my request is pending. WTF? I hope she doesn't respond! I never liked her. I just wanted to see if she was on FB.

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 5:24 pm

GreySun369 wrote:
A few months ago I was bored and thought I'd give FaceBook a try. At first it was fun, I enjoyed adding my closest friends and some members of my family and I enjoyed uploading pictures of my interests and posting my thoughts. But then people I don't like started adding me as friends. I added them just to be polite but started regretting it because they would get all in my business so I tried deleting them, but somehow they found out and kept adding me as friends, and the one person who I hate the most sent me an ugly message about deleting him. So I decided to just cancel my account and just stick to using my MSN messenger and forums to keep in touch with my friends. I know I could have just blocked those people, but since they all know my phone number and know where I live that would have just caused more drama...

So who else here hates FaceBook as much as I do for similar reasons?

You know what, I found out that you can block people, report abuse, or even report them as spam. You had every right to add or delete who you wanted and they had no right to pick on you. You could also set your privacy settings so that just you and your closest friends could see your business.

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2011, 1:13 am

For one, I don't like people, so if they are popular among the fellow primates of mine, so be it.

It is all crap. People won't put pics of their crappy lives on facebook, just the ones that make their lives great. It should be called Fakebook instead.

rabbit90
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Mar 2011, 7:24 am

I don't have a face book, because I know kids I never liked wil try to add me just to snoop on what I'm doing, because I've had the balls to do things that are 'not typical' i.e not go to university, move a lot, live life etc etc

I don't hate facebook, but I don't agree with it. It's sinister, people try and say google is evil, well if google is meant to be evil, wtf is facebook then?

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2011, 9:22 am

Well, I have facebook, as roddy p carbonell, which is not my name, and my birthdate is 1989, which is a lie. My profile is empty.

I just want to keep up with my friends in the USA. I am in Panama now. And that's it. The rest of it can go to hell. Facebook is like a bad internet inside the internet. They have it all in there, but it isn't much.

tomboywriter101
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: In my writing, where things are the way I want them

16 Mar 2011, 12:24 am

I used to have a Facebook account. My friend asked me to get another Facebook/reactivate it so we can talk. I figured don't bother...

Agree: 4,6,13,16,18,19,20,22,39,41,45: 1 point
Disagree: 1,3,10,11,14,17,27,30,32,36,38,44,47,48,49: 1 point
Score: 26

chinatown
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2011, 2:18 am

I love Facebook! Okay, the word love is too strong in this context, but since it's the opposite of hate...

I'd like to maintain some contact with the outside world, but like most people here, I struggle with it. Mom used to be the one telling me what my sisters and cousins had been up to. Now I can say "Oh I know, I read it on Facebook. I even saw a picture :lol:". One guy I had a one-night stand with vented through private messaging. Without Facebook, I would never have known how he felt. Information is key!

Me, I post a few status updates and links per year. I comment on and like other people's statuses more often.

bigbadbeast2007 wrote:
I dont hate facebook, but I hate when family and freinds sending stupid app and game requests.

I'd tell you to block the apps and notifications (hover and click on X) and ignore the little numbers in the sidebar. If people bug you by contacting you personally, that's a different story.

Revival
Raven
Raven

17 Mar 2011, 10:58 am

I signed up with a fake name, so I could avoid a***holes trying to add me.
(I would be too polite to ignore some requests)

I still ended up deleting it a few days ago... because I can't trust almost all of my main friends. I've been taken for a ride for years. Marvellous. (there are possibly 2 left I will get back two)

I'm alone now, but it was empowering.

Dear op, if you can trust your main friends, why not try starting a new profile with a fake name and only giving it to the pople that matter the most. I pray you don't end up in my situation. :(

Nathalie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2011, 11:24 am

I like facebook, but hate all applications. I use it for the chat and to keep in touch with friends.
Don't think facebook is the problem, people cause problems. I just never post very personal stuff on my facebook, only general posts about the whether etc. and things everybody can know. Never had any real problems with it so far...

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 1:25 pm

GreySun369 wrote:
A few months ago I was bored and thought I'd give FaceBook a try. At first it was fun, I enjoyed adding my closest friends and some members of my family and I enjoyed uploading pictures of my interests and posting my thoughts. But then people I don't like started adding me as friends. I added them just to be polite but started regretting it because they would get all in my business so I tried deleting them, but somehow they found out and kept adding me as friends, and the one person who I hate the most sent me an ugly message about deleting him. So I decided to just cancel my account and just stick to using my MSN messenger and forums to keep in touch with my friends. I know I could have just blocked those people, but since they all know my phone number and know where I live that would have just caused more drama...

So who else here hates FaceBook as much as I do for similar reasons?

These are excellent reasons to hate Facebook. I haven't figured out why so many people want longer friend lists, Can anyone explain why they want longer lists? Anyway, I keep my list extremely short and I never invite anyone. I was able to check on my sisters in Okinawa and Taiwan recently through it, so it can have its merits. But I agree with those here who suggest limiting what you say about yourself on it and who can read it. I also find it easier to ignore a friend request than to delete a friend later. If they don't like it, they can deal with it. It's just Facebook.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Mar 2011, 1:55 pm

Nathalie wrote:
I like facebook, but hate all applications. I use it for the chat and to keep in touch with friends.
Don't think facebook is the problem, people cause problems. I just never post very personal stuff on my facebook, only general posts about the whether etc. and things everybody can know. Never had any real problems with it so far...

That's they way I am. I never talk about personal stuff, and I share things like what I had for supper, or remarks about weather, or like/respond to something I find amusing. After all, I wouldn't broadcast my every thought to the world at large before FB existed, and I don't intend to do it now.

Medallion2012
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Mar 2011, 7:02 pm

I like it because I get to see all kinds of stuff and see how people think etc. But I hate it because it's just like being in a crowed room at a party, I'm the only person there. Like people will post something stupid about Glee or a random comment about something on the train and get dozens of comments. Yet when I post something socially or politically important, or make some kind of insightful remark I may get one comment from a friend if I'm lucky, otherwise I'm just as invisible as I am in person. Meanwhile when I post a comment on a group page it's like I'm a rock star at times. lol I know that looking for validation of any kind on something as shallow as Facebook or Myspace isn't the place to look for it, but I need it from somewhere. It's also not easy because sarcasm and wit do not translate to the typed word all the time. Nor at times does genuine emotional support. Rather it's viewed as obsession. I can't help if if I'm the Only person commenting on anything that they post.