Interesting Article on Cracked on Music's effect (w/ Autism)

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chickenbird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2011, 8:06 pm

Really interesting idea/observations. I learned to play guitar at 14 and have always had a song on the brain or been singing one.
And one aspie trait I don't have is a monotonous voice, even though my content can be boring.

I've also got this idea that singing regulates your breathing and stops anxiety build-up. So would ritual prayers and chanting.

Changed score with attention to health. Still have AS traits and also some difficulties.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 8:40 pm

It's a fascinating idea, really. I've often wondered how dramatically my musical upbringing has affected my ability to "reach out" to the world, and what I'd be like (and, consequently, how others would perceive me) if I were less musical.

Some of it may relate to the idea that non-musicians tend to cut musicians more slack on the "weirdness acceptability" scale; they are less likely to hold particular quirks against them.

"Well, he's quiet and a bit strange, but he's such a good musician!"
"He constantly sings and hums to himself and dances down the hallways, but he's a musician so that's understandable."
"He's so into his music he doesn't have time to socialize."

Growing up, I wasn't really understood, but I was supported: first by my parents, then by my teachers, and finally (much, much later than typical age) by my peers. I would certainly not be the person I am today had I not had that support.