"I knew there was something creepy about him."

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 2:45 am

http://rawjustice.com/2010/08/09/12-of- ... l-killers/

I know some folks here don't like the use of the word "creepy," but people who make up the list above are the reason females (especially young ones) like to err on the safe side. The vast majority of victims of serial killers are female (especially college-aged, teenagers, and preteens), with mostly preteen boys, gay guys, and--in the U.S. at least--non-white guys making up the minority. There are of course female serial killers, but they make up a teeny tiny percentage of all serial killers, and their victims are usually little kids or the elderly. The males they would kill are usually their spouses or someone they've been in a long-term relationship with, not people they've been on a date with two or three times.

So the next time someone calls you creepy, don't take it personally. It's not you, it's these serial killers who came from a similar background as you (loner, socially awkward, crappy love life, love-hate attitude toward women as a group, a superiority complex based on a 120-something IQ, etc. etc.).

(Also, while reading stuff about serial killers, I came across a story about an old man in the early 1900s who liked to kidnap little kids and ate them. For whoever made that thread about strangers, that is probably the reason most of us were taught not to talk to strangers no matter how harmless they seemed.)

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 3:33 am

Well, the joke is on those who think that the 'successful' serial killers ran around looking creepy, holding a bloody kitchen knife in their teeth, and carrying around a duffel bag with feet sticking out. What made a lot of those killers 'successful' is that they were quite socially charming, and socially intelligent (i.e. good liars, good con artists).

So, while you're standing nervously at the subway station at 2am, fearing the creepy-looking guy in the corner, the serial killer will be that other guy -- the one who looks safe, and gives you some non-verbal signals that say, "stand over here by me, I'll protect from that creep over there..." -- who then later eats your liver.

Of dangerous people, the worst are the ones who don't look dangerous.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 3:40 am

The first week my parents moved to Buffalo, NY everyone of the neighbors told them that we lived on a safe street. Right at the end of their first week on our street a serial child sex predator kidnapped a girl raped her then threw her off a bridge on an Indian reservation in hopes to drown her. He weighted her down but she landed in shallow water and was able to hop her way to the bank since the water was up to her shoulders deep enough to break her fall but shallow enough to keep her head above water. The guy was caught it turned out he was linked to several kidnappings that ended in the death of the children involved. Thats the reason I was told not to talk to strangers or play close to the edge of the road. :wink:

The serial killer you were talking about was Albert Fish the gray ghoul and the gray man.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Feb 2011, 4:55 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Well, the joke is on those who think that the 'successful' serial killers ran around looking creepy, holding a bloody kitchen knife in their teeth, and carrying around a duffel bag with feet sticking out. What made a lot of those killers 'successful' is that they were quite socially charming, and socially intelligent (i.e. good liars, good con artists).

So, while you're standing nervously at the subway station at 2am, fearing the creepy-looking guy in the corner, the serial killer will be that other guy -- the one who looks safe, and gives you some non-verbal signals that say, "stand over here by me, I'll protect from that creep over there..." -- who then later eats your liver.

Of dangerous people, the worst are the ones who don't look dangerous.

+1 the Media gives the wrong impression.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 8:05 am

Quote:
So the next time someone calls you creepy, don't take it personally. It's not you, it's these serial killers who came from a similar background as you (loner, socially awkward, crappy love life, love-hate attitude toward women as a group, a superiority complex based on a 120-something IQ, etc. etc.).

+1 that this is a media misrepresentation.

Even the list of people you linked to doesn't support the idea that serial killers "look" like Aspie Guys.

Case in point: When I was a kid, Orange County was terrorized by Rodney Alcala, who actually appeared on "The Dating Game" and won.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 8:08 am

aren't serial killers superficially charming - generally speaking?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 8:24 am

Wait, is this thread about aspies being really crap serial killers?

If so, I agree.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 8:26 am

emlion wrote:
aren't serial killers superficially charming - generally speaking?

In general, yes - that's how they attract their victims.

In actual practice, a woman should be a lot more wary of a charming, outgoing guy than a shy, awkward one - but this whole thing is stupid because serial killers are (thankfully) extremely rare - driving a car is FAR more dangerous...

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 8:28 am

haha yes, it's quite a hypothetical discussion. >.<
i'd quite like an awkward guy with a super-cool car. 8) the perfect amount of danger.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 8:42 am

emlion wrote:
i'd quite like an awkward guy with a super-cool car. 8) the perfect amount of danger.

What would you regard as a super-cool car?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 8:59 am

Fairly recently, someone in the UK got a gun and shot a bunch of people from a taxi before killing himself. Before the incident, everyone in the village thought he was a normal, nice member of the community. This is a common theme among such incidents.

It's the "normal" people you've got to watch out for.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 9:26 am

Yeah, quite right. The bike path rapist in Amherst was a baseball coach and valued community member. His hobbies included raping and killing women on the bike path. The person originally arrested and convicted for those chain of rapes and murders, though, was the "creepy" guy -- a schizophrenic living at home. He never confessed to the crimes and was later released when found not guilty, because they had found the murder, which happened to be his charming, "good guy" nephew, Altemio Sanchez.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 9:38 am

Grisha wrote:
emlion wrote:

anything which doesn't have a roof. 8)

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 9:45 am

Asp-Z wrote:
Fairly recently, someone in the UK got a gun and shot a bunch of people from a taxi before killing himself. Before the incident, everyone in the village thought he was a normal, nice member of the community. This is a common theme among such incidents.

It's the "normal" people you've got to watch out for.

I remember that incident. But whilst some people said he was normal, many talked about how quiet he was compared to his twin and how odd he was.. (I'm prepared to believe that this may be at least partially due to the current stereotype of 'it's the quiet ones you need to watch').

Also, I think he technically counts as a 'mass murderer' rather than a serial killer.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 10:19 am

emlion wrote:
Grisha wrote:
emlion wrote:

anything which doesn't have a roof. 8)

My Jeep doesn't have a roof!! ! 8)

I am soooo Alpha...

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 10:30 am

If you've ever met a potential serial killer before, you would know that they do stand out, but in a less creepy way. The way they are portrayed in movies isn't too terribly accurate. Then again, most people haven't met any, or recognized how to spot the ones who are at risk. They all have the same kind of body language, the same kind of expressions, (especially the facial expressions upon first meeting and talking to them) the same kind of superficial charm someone mentioned, but of course it differs from person to person because everyone is different.

I say potential serial killer because not everyone like that ends up as a serial killer. Their personalities are all the same though, but something has to push them over the edge, and most of the time, it doesn't happen.