Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 12:31 pm

I have a music talent. I don't know whether or not this has to do something with Asperger's Syndrome. Can Aspies even do this.

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2006, 1:58 pm

I have a musical talent 2, wat kind of musik u do?

Stop talking trash

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 7:12 pm

Look at my username :P

I'm not sure it's particularly an Aspie trait - my friend is an amazing musician but is nowhere near being an Aspie. Actually most of my friends are musical and non-Aspies (I'd not quite class them as NT though - they're not Aspie but they're not *quite* NT ... )

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2006, 3:34 am

Aspies can do anything they put their minds to, just like anybody else. It's just that we get deeply interested in things. If you have musical talent, it could be a deep interest. When I get into something, it sizzles with passion and excitement. You didn't say what sort of musical talent you're into.

- Ray M -

CurbRider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jul 2006, 12:19 am

i play bass

im into all kinds of rock music from the 50's to the present...

and i'm an aspie!

Composer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2006, 12:37 pm

I am composer, and I am sure, that there is a connection to the syndrome. It makes you use A LOT af time on composing, which really trains you. In my case, I love reading Music Theory too, so its a big + having the syndrome.

Ryebot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Aug 2006, 2:32 pm

i have a really good ear for music but i never really learned to read music. by the way i play bass too. i also play guitar and keyboard (poorly).

Astreja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2006, 2:27 am

I play keyboards, guitar, bass, clarinet and violin. Getting in enough practice time is my main problem. I'm going to be teaching guitar and bass in the fall, so that's what I've been reaching for most lately. I read music for all of the above instruments and also can play by ear.

My musical tastes are fairly comprehensive but I don't know much about rap, hiphop or country.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2006, 5:48 am

Musical_Lottie wrote:

I'm not sure it's particularly an Aspie trait - my friend is an amazing musician but is nowhere near being an Aspie. Actually most of my friends are musical and non-Aspies (I'd not quite class them as NT though - they're not Aspie but they're not *quite* NT ... )

Hey there fellow brit. Just wondering do you compose your own music? If so what kind of style?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2006, 8:06 am

I like what most people consider as music you learn from.

However, if I hear a song that is strange, it gets stuck in my head for a long time.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2006, 8:11 am

Classically trained pianist.

- Emerson

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2006, 8:46 am

Jonny wrote:
Musical_Lottie wrote:

Hey there fellow brit. Just wondering do you compose your own music? If so what kind of style?

Yes, I do compose a bit. Style? Um, pretty tame and i guess quite classical in that I much prefer balanced phrasing and diatonic harmonies, etc. Though I'm always adamant that all instruments in my pieces have near enough equal prominence at one point or another. And ... it just sounds a bit weird, I think. Somehow my stuff always tends to sound a bit baroque, and it's repetitive and boring ... gha. I think I have possibly one piece (completed) with which I am actually pleased, the rest just bug me. But anyway.

How about you? Are you musical? Do you play / compose / both / or just like listening?

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2006, 10:03 am

I play the guitar and compose but i'm not classically trained, and I don't create classical style music (can't more like). I have made a few instrumental music using string samples and stuff but its nothing like those godlike classical composers, more like film music.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2006, 11:51 am

Film music's always good! :)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 8:50 pm

Self taught guitar player. I can also play bass. I've also taught myself to play drums, and would like to learn more at some point. I've also taught myself a little bit of piano/Keyboards, as well as some sequencing.

A couple of really well known musicians that I think may have Asperger's are Eddie Van Halen, and John Wardle, aka Jah Wobble. EVH is also a self taught guitar player who doesn NOT interview well at all. Jah Wobble, who essentially picked up a Bass and was voted one of the best new Bass players several months later walked away from PIL, as well as all session work in the mid 80's to work on the London Underground. Wobble is gigging again with a new band, but I have to ask who but an Aspie would walk away from a promising music career to work on a Subway system?

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 7:02 pm

I'm a trombone player (jazz and classical) that practices almost every day (or tries to during the summer; sometimes it gets to where I skip a day or two and come back to it). Anyways, I can compose music in my head, and I also can understand what a composer means by a piece of music often, since I get a picture of it in my head. I love music with a deep passion, and I'm honestly thinking of learning how to be a music educator and maybe in that career I can teach at an all-aspie school to teach others what music and band has taught me. The band has also been like a second family to me; it's been quite nice having band to go to at school.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.