Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 5:43 pm

Is Middle School a big transitioning from Elementary School? That's why they wanted to keep me in Special Ed. Do you know any reasons why?

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 5:59 pm

You have alot of teachers.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

11 Jul 2006, 6:20 pm

I found it a big transition, but then I moved halfway across the country between elementary and middle school. It didn't seem that different to me learning-wise, but I found that kids were a lot nastier at that age.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 6:25 pm

it is a big change. I found the kids in middle school to be much meaner and the teachers a little hard-headed(not all of them)....

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 6:47 pm

A couple of reasons why middle school is harder:

1) You are changing classes so instead of one teacher, you now have 6 to deal with
2) The schedule may not be the same each day (although you will usually stay with the same group of children)
3) The social scene is more complex
4) The other students tend to be meaner

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 6:41 am

also the school work will be a bit harder, and might have to have essays to write. there is no "recess" like in elementry school. you might have homerooms or study halls to study and get work done that you havent had time to finish in classes. classes might be a bit longer in duration. some schools use a method of scheduling called "block" scheduling were one day you will have periods 1,2,3 and next day you might have 4,5,6 then next day back to 1,2,3.

never know though captain, you might find it easy and love middle school. I sure loved it!!

about the kids, when i went to middle school, the kids tended to pick on me on the bus such as telling me my epidermus was showing(at time I had no idea what an epidermus was(your skin!) (i guess i should blame my special ed elementry school on not teaching me what epidermus was) :oops: kids have also put gum in my hair, tapped on my head then deny it(id sit behind the driver so i can look up into the mirror to catch the pranksters in action)

whatever happens dont let it get to you because kids at this age get a thrill out of messing with kids they might find odd or "weird" in a way. if they ask a stupid question dont answer. i heard it is best is ask it back. if bully dont answer it just shows how stupid he/she really is. (and immature)

also if they try to bug you use the deaf method, act like you dont even hear them they will stop messing with you over time and find someone else to mess with.

heres another thing, in elementry school I went to they also had a fire prevention week. not being told about it stopping in middle school. I embarrassed myself on my first day of 6th. I asked aloud to teacher "when is fire prevention day??" THEN I was told that fire prevention day don't happen in middle school.

many middle schools also have state wide testing to test the academic level of each student. depending on what your IEP says you might be exempt or givin longer longer time to complete testor have it read to you.

I have no idea how they have it setup now but when i took mine, it was mostly multiple choice and some "open ended questions" that means no selection of possible answer you have to write in answer and explain your reason for answer.

on your first day (usually day before day the returning students start school) they will show you around and tell you what will happen during your years at middle school.

I hope this has helped in reducing any anxioty or fears you have about middle school and to help in the trasnition process.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 8:40 am

The good thing about my Middle School is that they're against bullying.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 9:02 am

yea many schools have a zero-tolerance policy (it has been around since after the columbine high school massacre to prevent bullying and violence in schools to make a safe learning atmosphere)

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 1:40 pm

Differences between elementary school and middle school.

:arrow: Teachers stay in the same classrooms, you're the one moving around.
:arrow: Cliques are forming at an alarmingly fast rate.
:arrow: Kids are meaner, more obnoxious, and less tolerant of differences.
:arrow: More homework than before.
:arrow: Wear Abercrombie and Fitch is now a requirement.

Sorry to pain such a bleak picture, but that's how most American middle schools are.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 9:04 pm

ljbouchard wrote:
A couple of reasons why middle school is harder:

1) You are changing classes so instead of one teacher, you now have 6 to deal with
2) The schedule may not be the same each day (although you will usually stay with the same group of children)
3) The social scene is more complex
4) The other students tend to be meaner

All true but for me, 3 and 4 were the most true, especially 4. Grade 8 was absolute hell for me. The social scene, the pressure to do things like go to dances, have a girlfriend, date, etc. was too much to bare. Many students find a reason to torment you and no matter what you do, it doesn't change. I got tormented for having a very deep voice, liking shortwave radio, not being very athletic, and not having any interest in having a girlfriend. Having no support at home, including parents who blamed all my problems on my behavior and often punished me for what happened, made it next to impossible to cope.

Sorry to paint such a bleak picture, but it is my personal experience. Hopefully others facing this will at least have support at home, which might make it a little more tolerable.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

21 Jul 2006, 10:04 pm

Captain Brown wrote:

doordoctor wrote:
yea many schools have a zero-tolerance policy (it has been around since after the columbine high school massacre to prevent bullying and violence in schools to make a safe learning atmosphere)

Yeah, so was mine. That didn't prevent my classmates from throwing things ranging from licked candy to English textbooks at my head for the entirety of middle school. (A friend of mine recently remarked that she stopped feeling sorry for me when I threw the aforementioned textbook out the bus window. I didn't take it lying down; I'm still not sure if that made it worse or not.)

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 11:55 am

SolaCatella wrote:
Captain Brown wrote:

doordoctor wrote:

Yeah, so was mine. That didn't prevent my classmates from throwing things ranging from licked candy to English textbooks at my head for the entirety of middle school. (A friend of mine recently remarked that she stopped feeling sorry for me when I threw the aforementioned textbook out the bus window. I didn't take it lying down; I'm still not sure if that made it worse or not.)

Sad to say, mine did not. The worst thing that happened was some of the kids doing the bullying were sent to the counselor's office for counseling! They weren't disciplined in any way, not that discipline would have made a difference.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"