DNC caught trying organize protests in Wisconsin

Page 7 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 8:50 pm

Makes sense, I dunno how I didn't figure that out. I suppose it's cuz I've been home all day today and haven't done jack s**t but study and post on WP lol. The starting pay in Michigan is about as much as my parents make yet they gotta work 14 hours instead of 6. The $20,000 range is still ridiculously low though, that's bordering on the poverty line.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 8:54 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
@ marshall: Is that with a bachelor's or master's degree? And what state are you talking about? They seem to be radically different from state to state.

In Canada high school teachers with a bachelor's start out with $35,000-$50,000, whereas a teacher with a master's after 10 years can make more than $80,000. Some of the states in the US are wacked when it comes to beginning wages. Apparently the average begining wage in Arizona is $23,548 and for North Dakota it's $23,591.

They are radically different from state to state, the hilarious part is that many of the states that pay less and are less union friendly actually have kids doing better in school.

Specific evidence to back this up? (I'm looking for a cross-country comparison of student performance against teacher compensation) One or two anti-union states having good educational systems could easily be due to other factors (each state has a different educational system, so maybe they're doing something else right) but a consistent pattern of a negative correlation between teacher income and student performance would be interesting.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 8:55 pm

The plan is to make the unions useless and then ask the members every year if they still want to pay dues towards a useless union or just dissolve it. It includes a provision to let people opt out, creating a situation where people start fleeing the sinking ship - this helps damage the union even more. People can only bargain to the rate of inflation. So if it's year one, 1% inflation, DENIED!, year 2, 2% inflation, DENIED!, year three 2% inflation DENIED!, that 5% is lost forever. It's a permanent lowering of the standard of living. That's this man's vision. He openly praised a company that blackmailed workers by threatening to move to Oklahoma, demanding wage cuts. It seems that Walker loves wage cuts above all other things. He thinks in terms of a Third World potentate trying to lure sugar daddy corporations to state with cheap wages and desperate poverty. He's like Jean-Claude Duvalier.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 9:00 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

Well apparently they get over 100k in salary and benefits in Wisconsin.

Only a few senior teachers make that kind of money.

ruveyn

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 9:48 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Makes sense, I dunno how I didn't figure that out. I suppose it's cuz I've been home all day today and haven't done jack sh** but study and post on WP lol. The starting pay in Michigan is about as much as my parents make yet they gotta work 14 hours instead of 6. The $20,000 range is still ridiculously low though, that's bordering on the poverty line.

Considering the time they spend preparing and grading, they work a lot more than 6 hours a day.