Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 5:38 pm

I know a lot of people here suffer from anxiety (in addition to AS or other co-morbid conditions). Have any of you tried anti-anxiety medication? If so, what is your take on it? Did it help?

I ask because my therapist suggested it might be worth look into. I'm easily startled and jumpy most of the time. I've been that way most of my life, so I'm guessing there's probably a genetic link.

kat_ross
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Feb 2011, 5:57 pm

Hi,

I have never been prescribed medication specifically for anxiety, but I did briefly take hydroxyzine hcl for neurodermatitis (skin itching/rash possibly caused by nervous reaction). This medication can also be used for short-term treatment of nervousness and tension, so I was technically taking an anti-anxiety med. It did make me feel more calm, peaceful. Sometimes, depending on what time of day I took it, I would feel a tiny bit tipsy or sleepy. But most of the time there were no side effects. I would say that it was a positive experience, it was helpful.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 6:23 pm

kat_ross wrote:
Hi,

I have never been prescribed medication specifically for anxiety, but I did briefly take hydroxyzine hcl for neurodermatitis (skin itching/rash possibly caused by nervous reaction). This medication can also be used for short-term treatment of nervousness and tension, so I was technically taking an anti-anxiety med. It did make me feel more calm, peaceful. Sometimes, depending on what time of day I took it, I would feel a tiny bit tipsy or sleepy. But most of the time there were no side effects. I would say that it was a positive experience, it was helpful.

Hi, thanks for the response!

Any medication has its side-effects. Some are certainly worse than others. It doesn't sound like yours was too strong, so that is good. :)

Maybe I'll look into it. I don't really like taking medication all that much, but anxiety is something that's been an issue in my life for a long time. It might worth having something around just in case.

Skepkat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Feb 2011, 8:14 pm

Currently on Paxil, but therapist is thinking of switching me to Zoloft. Both are for anxiety, but the Zoloft might help more with my OCD issues. Does it help? Before I started Paxil, I was on edge ALL the time. Now I feel mostly normal - not normal-normal, but normal for me before my life turned upside down last year.

kinftw
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2011, 8:15 pm

I'm currently taking Prozac, and Klonopin, and I have to say, they have been life-savers.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 8:48 pm

I'm taking paxil for depression. It is also useful against social anxiety. I find that it helps. It makes it a bit easier for me to deal with people. It's effects are on me are a bit odd; it doesn't help against general anxiety, just social anxiety.

Millstone
Raven
Raven

18 Feb 2011, 9:00 pm

started escitalopram

had a panic attack

stopped escitalopram

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 9:31 pm

Hmm, that's interesting. Thanks for the responses, everyone! Sounds like they may be worth looking into. Even fixing the "generalized" anxiety would be a big help.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 9:33 pm

Millstone wrote:
started escitalopram

had a panic attack

stopped escitalopram

Ouch. A panic attack from anti-anxiety medication? That sounds like an unusual side-effect.

Have you tried any others? Or do you think you'd just have another panic attack like before?