Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:44 pm

For some reason the thread title made me think of a classic cheesy sci-fi show from the late 1970's/early 1980s

For your viewing enjoyment (link)

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:48 pm

Vigilans wrote:
For some reason the thread title made me think of a classic cheesy sci-fi show from the late 1970's/early 1980s

For your viewing enjoyment (link)

not allowed to view that video in my country(USofA)

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:49 pm

You can't view youtube? :(

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:53 pm

The nerd apocalypse.

This is a topic that springs up a lot in sci-fi these days. They hint at something like this happening in Dune, which resulted in the Butlerian Jihad to destroy thinking machines. David Marusek has his own version of the Singularity and resulting Butlerian Jihad in his short stories.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:54 pm

Vigilans wrote:

no i can view youtube just not the video in question

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:54 pm

Vigilans wrote:

That specific video has been banned from YouTube in the USA by NBC.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:55 pm

Jesus, its just the starting credits to Buck Rogers in the 25th century. :lmao:

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:56 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Jesus, its just the starting credits to Buck Rogers in the 25th century. :lmao:

in case you werent aware, America is kinda like a dictatorship run by copyrights and law suits these days

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:57 pm

I'm going to open an Internet Refugee Camp for all of you Yanks who want to watch s**t that's copyrighted

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:59 pm

Vigilans wrote:
I'm going to open an Internet Refugee Camp for all of you Yanks who want to watch sh** that's copyrighted

as they called it in American Dad Camp Refoogee lol

is no one interested in my other topic about how Harvard successfully reversed aging?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 7:46 pm

Kind of related issue - not of course identical.

A relative by marriage of mine is part of one of those cryogenic facilities - freeze you till they can fix you and all that.

This is another situation I would not want to get into - hard at best to see what the positive perks would be.

Whatcha feel about that?

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 7:53 pm

Philologos wrote:

A relative by marriage of mine is part of one of those cryogenic facilities - freeze you till they can fix you and all that.

This is another situation I would not want to get into - hard at best to see what the positive perks would be.

Whatcha feel about that?

are you referring to te cryonics being a bad idea or life extension movement as a whole? im confused

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 7:57 pm

Philologos wrote:

when i talk about indefinite life extension i am generally referring to manipulation of aging because honestly Singularity is very terrifying to me and manipulation of aging im at least able to remain myself in Singularity who knows what we will be after but i can almost guarantee it will not be us and thats my fear

Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 8:09 pm

TheKing wrote:
yes i heard about the documentary i believe its going to go along the same lines as his book as i am to understand it i cant wait to see it

There is also a singularity is near documentary. Also, if you have a vimeo account the singularity summit presentations are available there.

TheKing wrote:
off topic i know but im so jealous of my friend Cheyenne because she read The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking over the weekend i have been wanting to read that since it came out last year

I have read it, I did not think that much of it.

Was not spoken of the soul.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 8:16 pm

TheKing wrote:
is no one interested in my other topic about how Harvard successfully reversed aging?

I am but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 10:16 pm

The King:

I have strong issues with any version of immortality in time.

We will skim over the aging issue, the freezing the immortal at a particular growth point issue, the what do you do about resources and procreation issue, all of which [with many others] scifi has explored many's the time sometimes favorably and sometimes not so.

Forget even the what kind body or non-body this will be.

Go straight to what do you do with your 13th century.

Already - with a good bit of my first century left to go - I run into a lot of been there done that. I do not bore easily - find lots to occupy a not wholly inactive mind - but you got Hawking saying [misquoted? I would like to think so] all the good problems are solved. The more memory piles up, the more the days speed up like reel to reel tape or motion film when the takeup reel has a pile on it and the other gets smaller. Are we going to get extra disk drives for the excess memories? What's to do when I have learned all the languages?

Then there is the fact this IS a time-bomb universe. So we live to the heat death of the universe ... and what? You go to all the trouble of getting immortal and you get to experience going down with the universe. Big hairy deal. Or say you big crunch and my suster is right and we have God forbid to start over?

As for the frozen meat business:

My take: you gamble. You bet who knows how much money that you really ARE doomed,

AND that the company can really freeze you without turning you into mushy strawberries.

AND that they actually will maintain you in a steady state for a span of years [unlike my wife's "life membership" paid for in a Co-op that then redefined it as NOT permanent].

AND that there will be no natural disasters or acts of war or terrorism destroying the facility.

AND that there will not be power cuts beyond the capacity of their backup generators.

AND that when the time comes the technology to revive you will be in place.

AND that the deterioration from temperature and anticrystal chemicals will not be so much as to make you a vegetable [frozen peas?]

AND that medical science actually WILL find a way to cure your condition before the firm goes heels up or your deposit runs out and they have to dump you.

AND the government will not make any laws that convert you to hamburger or organs for senators.

I am not THAT much a gambler.