how to find support groups for people who HAVE aspergers?!?!

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2006, 11:07 am

I joined an autism society in Denmark. They only have activities for parents, parents and smaller children, and siblings. Not for ASD's at all. I'm not a member any more. Oh and theres a lot of courses for proffesionals.

I found a support group run by a psychologist but it costs a lot of money.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2006, 11:14 am

Krex,

If you have someone willing to go with you, I know the AuSM group allows visitors to be there with first timers

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

ericmc783
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jul 2006, 2:21 am

ljbouchard wrote:
Eric,

I cannot get an idea as to where you are at so I cannot say much about availablity.

I'm an american, living in the Northwestern Ohio Area (Toledo/Bowling Green). I'm more tha willing to research groups in this area myself, but i was hoping someone could lead me to a good website that lists info about such groups in different areas.

The replies i have read in this thread certainly do not make me feel any better. It appears as if i am not the only person with asperger's that struggles with this stupid stigma about our world.

There needs to be support groups, in real life, for adults who have AS. Especially the ones who arent so impaired that they can atually have meaningful discussions with people.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2006, 6:28 pm

ericmc783 wrote:
grrrrrrrr. i have done much searching online for support groups relating to AS (ones that actually meet in real life, not on a website). while i have found many AS related support groups, pretty much all of them dealt with support for parents of a child with AS, or siblings of an AS child. its as if there is no such thing in the world as a support group for adults who actually HAVE AS.

Agree strongly. Irritates me so much that I'm considered "too old" and "too functional" for existing supports-oh please ! Wasn't dx'd AS until in my 30's-before that a variety of other labels were applied. It's very frustrating. Neither willing nor able to travel hours away from home in order to find an "appropriate" group.
Do I have to BECOME a parent, just to find a proper group ? I'm joking, but see my point ?
I shouldn't have to be inaccurate/dishonest/untrue to myself (by procreating when that's NOT my wish, or committing crimes, or exaggerating my difficulties) in order to meet criteria for needing help. I meet the Asperger's criteria (according to my counselors) & I happen to be an adult-is that so rare ? I like where I live, but apparently there aren't enough of "us" nearby...

Jennyji
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2006, 6:39 pm

aspergers.meetup.com

I found this website online, but I'm not sure if it'll be a help, but it might help if you are looking for friends in your area that are dealing with AS as well.

ericmc783
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jul 2006, 11:01 am

ive already looked on that meetup site. there are only 3 ppl in my general area registered on that site for aspergers, and they al live like an hr away. oh well, i might as well register there too.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2006, 11:14 am

Eric,

Don't let the distance worry you. I attend a group that is about a 1 hour drive away and it is worth it. Besides, the only way you will find people closer to you is if you register too.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

ericmc783
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jul 2006, 11:43 am

ljb, im about to do the same thing if i cant find a group thats closer. :? :)

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2006, 11:48 am

I went to a parents support group last month, and was able to provide some advice based on my own experiences, simply so that their kids don't have to go through the kind of things that I did.

But of course, the mere fact that they are going to a support group means that they're putting a lot more effort into it than my parents ever did. They pretended nothing was wrong, and when they did awknowledge that something was going wrong, they simply offloaded any problems to someone else (like doctor or the police (when I was beaten outside of my own home), or whatever)... and nothing productive ever came out of it, and eventually things with my siblings went bad enough that I simply hid what was going on through the worst of it.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2006, 1:55 pm

GRASP has a bunch of meeting groups out east and a few in the midwest (it is what I go to) and if there isn't one near you start one :).

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

ericmc783
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jul 2006, 6:22 am

GRASP?

vivreestesperer
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jul 2006, 2:12 pm

I can't believe it took this long for someone to mention GRASP.

www.grasp.org its the largest network of support groups for adults in the xcountry

its based out of NY, it has groups on the east coast and midwest

ive gone to AS adult groups in Washington DC and my hometown in Maine

Where do you live, i can help look for a group for you, ive doen that for some people

also contact your local autism society to see if they know of any

I really enjoy them and love meeting other people with AS

Kate

SheDevil
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2006, 3:26 pm

Washington, DC has an adult group that meets, only those w/ AS may attend. Also, New England has a strong group, AANE, with chapters in several states.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2006, 5:51 pm

You could try here http://grasp.org/res_sg.htm or look in their links for other areas

ericmc783
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jul 2006, 10:38 pm

GRASP is just slightly out of my region, with the farthest west current groups being in PA, im in western ohio. maybe they'll continue expanding.

:cry: :( noone will ever understand me unless i find other ppl with as to hang with. :(

parts
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2006, 6:23 am

They are expanding you could always try and email them to see if they know of anything in your area