Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 7:14 am

I can't think clearly under florescent lights and i feel ill-at-ease..They have to be well dispersed in order for me to tolerate them...

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 4:03 pm

Has anyone had any luck explaining this feeling to others, without getting a judgmental response?

Saying "these lights are making me ill I can't work/take this exam/etc." doesn't seem to work.

I've never tried, since even saying "these lights are making me ill" to people I know isn't met well.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 5:26 pm

it's the flickering of fluorescents that bothers me most.

DirtDawg wrote:
How about analog light?

Does anyone really like candles for soft lighting like I do?

i like candles a lot, but flickering sometimes bothers me with candles too.

anything striped in my peripheral vision will flicker though, also. if i'm wearing something with thin stripes on it, for example, and trying to read, i will have to cover the stripes or change my clothes.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 5:32 pm

DirtDawg wrote:
I have my computer monitor set to 125Hz, I can detect 75Hz and it causes fatigue.

jdbob wrote:
I've also been known to change other people's PC monitor settings from 60hz to 70 or 75hz

how do you do this?

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2010, 10:50 pm

I find that I have the exact same problem myself: people just don't understand why some things bother me, so they get upset.

Schizotypes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 May 2010, 12:20 am

those lights usually knocked me out in school. the teacher tried to make an example of me one day because I had my head on my desk. It was biology and he was talking about "osmosis" he thought I wasn't paying attention at all and napping but I was paying attention though I had a wicked migraine from those fool lights. So the teacher's plan to embarrass me backfired on him when I said the correct answer. Ah that was a sweet victory moment.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 2:22 pm

When I attended school, half the classrooms had old style lighting with glass globes containing round bulbs. The other half of the school building had been upgraded to fluorescent strip lighting.
Interestingly I did not achieve good results in subjects where there was strip lighting.

At home I use modern eco-bulbs all placed in uplighters to reduce glare.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 4:48 pm

They have never actually bothered me. The only kind of light that I'm not too keen on is the light produced by the sun.

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jun 2010, 10:43 pm

What about LED lights.

I also heard from Ms Temple Grandin that laptop screen do not flicker.. is that true?