Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

irishdutch21
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Feb 2011, 8:30 pm

I have heard that many autistic people have trouble sleeping because their bodies produce lower levels of melatonin. Is this true?

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 8:46 pm

I don't know, but I've just recently purchased some melatonin, and it actually allows me to fall to sleep, and wake up the next day without a hangover, which is just brilliant. It feels like real sleep as well, not drugged sleep. I only have to use 1mg of it, it's a lifesaver.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 10:22 pm

I take 3mg a night and sleep like a rock.

missykrissy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2011, 12:01 am

irishdutch21 wrote:
I have heard that many autistic people have trouble sleeping because their bodies produce lower levels of melatonin. Is this true?

that is what we were told by our pediatrition

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Feb 2011, 12:29 pm

I just did a little reading on it, and I'm going to try it. (This was coincidental to this thread; not as a result of seeing it here). I've never had trouble sleeping before, but I'm now having a little trouble staying asleep due to extremely low body fat. At least that's what my doctor and several fellow bodybuilders have suggested. Evidently, we consume body fat during sleep, and if there is a lack of it, we wake up feeling hungry in the middle of the night (my situation). This never happened to me until I was below 5% body fat, so I guess it makes sense. If this topic is still alive in a couple months, I'll repost.

Charles

Jojoba
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2011, 2:14 pm

I take melatonin - 3mgs time release tablet around 30 minutes before bed. Typically sleep well through the night after I began taking this. Guess it is good at lowering blood pressure a little also.

Melatonin for high blood pressure?
http://www.heartscanblog.org/search/label/Melatonin

Idiotchief
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2011, 10:18 pm

What everyone else said. Whether or not it's related to the spectrum i'm unaware

sandrana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2011, 9:33 pm

I've taken melatonin to help me fall asleep (a friend told me it was initially recommended to him for jetlag but works for regular sleeping problems as well) but then I became a beekeeper, and beekeepers believe that honey and pollen cure just about everything! The old home remedy of a spoon of honey in warm milk seems to work, apparently it stimulates melatonin production in our brains (plus it's yummy and warm ;) )

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 11:26 pm

I have taken melatonin to help with insomnia as well as with jet lag. It works, but even when only taking 2.5mg, it still leaves me very groggy and struggling to wake up the next day.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 5:25 am

I have taken to taking a cup of feverfew tea at night. It contains melatonin. It is a weed, and it is starting to take over our garden.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&xh ... 26&bih=606

Be careful when picking herbs, be sure you've got the right thing.

One reason people are suffering more from insomnia and melatonin deficiency is because of too much artificial light. If you turn off your computer and lights earlier, you may find your pineal gland produces the necessary melatonin to make you sleepy by bed time.

If you're interested in sleep, dreams and health, here is an excellent podcast with sleep medicine practitioner Rubin Naiman:

http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/2011/01/2 ... aiman-phd/

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 7:45 am

RaceDrv709 wrote:
I take 3mg a night and sleep like a rock.

+1

Before that I could never, in my life, fall asleep at will.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Aether
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 May 2011, 9:20 pm

Maybe this is another suggestion that I could have Asperger's? When I was having sleep troubles, Ambien did nothing. My doctor gave me a small dose of Melatonin, and it put me out like a light.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 9:24 pm

I use it when i have to work overnight shifts. I can never fall asleep during the day before my shift, so by the time 7am rolls around, ive been up for 27 hours already.

If i take a 3mg tablet, i can fall asleep around 3pm, sleep til 10, work 11-7 and be able to stay up all day until about 8pm.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 4:32 am

Aether wrote:
Maybe this is another suggestion that I could have Asperger's? When I was having sleep troubles, Ambien did nothing. My doctor gave me a small dose of Melatonin, and it put me out like a light.

I've done some superficial research, and there does appear to be a link.

Jaz1787
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2011, 1:02 am

i remember having alot of trouble getting to sleep as a child.

these days i just run myself into the ground, hit the pillow and am alseep before i know it

Lahmacun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jun 2011, 10:23 pm

I also take 3 mg melatonin every night and it works like a charm! If I'm really stressed or know I'm going to miss too much sleep that night because of late night/early morning, I'll take two and be just fine except for a little early-morning grogginess. However, melatonin can give you BIZARRE dreams...or perhaps just make you remember dreams you would otherwise forget!