How Can I Stop Thinking About Autism Or Asperger's?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2011, 10:49 pm

I just realized I would be a lot better off NOT thinking about "asperger's" or "autism".

Ever since I suspected I might have AS I thought about it, EVERY DAY! Now I'm pretty sure it fits but also that "knowing" has done nothing for me.

These thoughts are annoying me. I feel like I was actually better off, even socially NOT thinking about this. This has brought me too much anxiety. I would rather not waste a single thought on AS. It makes me more self-conscious. I want to nip the self-consciousness in the bud.

But my problem is I can't stop. For one thing this board is too alluring. There's been some interesting and stimulating conversations going on here. And then I'll always want to see if someone responded to my posts, I find myself back here, and then I keep thinking about Asperger's.

Also how do you think to stop thinking about something? You can't. If I'm thinking about not thinking about something then I'm thinking about it.

Any ideas on how I can stop thinking about autism/asperger's?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 11:03 pm

DGuru wrote:
Ever since I suspected I might have AS I thought about it, EVERY DAY! Now I'm pretty sure it fits but also that "knowing" has done nothing for me.

Sounds like a new special interest. Imagine that :lol:

Quote:
Also how do you think to stop thinking about something? You can't. If I'm thinking about not thinking about something then I'm thinking about it.

This is your brain on Asperger's

Quote:
Any ideas on how I can stop thinking about autism/asperger's?

Self DX something else?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 11:40 pm

Say hello to a new special interest.

This is from someone who constantly switches special interests: No, you can't prevent it. But remember that for you this is perfectly normal. This is the way your brain works, the way your brain is supposed to work.

The anxiety, on the other hand, may be an issue; and that I can see is somewhat of a problem for you--your worrying that you aren't good enough because you are Aspie or perhaps that it means you can't do what you want to do.

I highly suggest learning about the autism rights/neurodiversity movement, learning about disability pride and why it's important. Yes, autism can be a positive part of your identity--not a source of shame. People often take it for granted that autism is a bad thing and must always be a bad thing, but that is simply not true. Neither autism nor disability in general are anything to be ashamed of. They are a neutral part of who you are, just like your gender or your race or your hair color.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

JSMC
Raven
Raven

01 Mar 2011, 12:07 am

Well, I got this new interest for a few months now. It bothers me a lot in my school since I miss classes just because I took another Aspie Test or instead of doing homework I read on Asperger. But I think this "interest" will go away soon. I have a meeting with a neurologist this friday. I have the feeling that I just need someone else to tell me what I have. Something like waiting for a new beginning which I can't start without a 100% sure of what's been bothering me for 27 years!! !

Also, I began to tell some friends I have this, they are really comprehensive. One of them told me he found it great that I try to find what's wrong with me. It's not something anybody could do, only aspies ;).

Because I made many research on the subject, I will be fully loaded to go see my neurologist. I don't think it will take me long before he conclude to the same diagnosis as me.

So the only thing I could suggest you. Go find someone that will give you a final answer to your question. I know it's hard to be only 99.99999% sure. I hate it, doubt is not for me, I need certainty!

Kvornan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2011, 4:26 am

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 4:30 am

Wear super tight underpants, and all your other worries will go away

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2011, 4:45 am

Callista wrote:
The anxiety, on the other hand, may be an issue; and that I can see is somewhat of a problem for you--your worrying that you aren't good enough because you are Aspie or perhaps that it means you can't do what you want to do.

I'm more worried about people guessing. In fact someone already did but he has it to so that makes it OK. I'm just worried about NTs I know guessing and treating me differently.