Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Isyiliah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2011, 11:17 pm

What's your personal take on the Tales series? Favorite game?

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 2:02 pm

I'm most fond of the original: Tales of Phantasia.

flamemasterelan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2011, 2:13 pm

Personally, Tales of the Abyss is my favorite. I just connected with the characters so much more in that game. I like almost all of them, though.

I really hate the SNES version of ToP, though. The PSX version beats it in every possible way. Better sprites, gameplay, multiplayer, skits, etc. Plus it's the first Tales game that allowed P1 to control someone who wasn't the hero.

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 10:44 pm

Yeah, but are there English patches for the PS1 version? The GBA version is really the only legit translation.

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2011, 7:29 am

Tales of Vesperia is my favorite so far.
I didn't like symphonia at all.

Akari-Seishin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2011, 2:44 pm

I've only ever played Symphonia and the sequeal to it, and the sequeal, or what looked like it to alot of people, Phantasia.

Memories are only as great as people make them, so make every moment as memorable as it can be.

flamemasterelan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2011, 4:39 pm

FireMinstrel wrote:
Yeah, but are there English patches for the PS1 version? The GBA version is really the only legit translation.

Two of them, actually. There's the Absolute Zero patch, which is 100% complete, and the Phantasian Productions patch, which is still being worked on. The difference is that Absolute Zero was aiming at the most accurate translation possible, due to their distaste over the DeJap translation for the SNES version, whereas PP is aiming at an official-looking localization, hence changing some names in the game to match their official titles, like changing Hi-Ougi to Mystic Art, changing Mint's Boin-chan title to match with Sheena's "Wow!" title. (the title obtained for having the biggest bust in the party)

Overall, I have to say I like the PP patch better, but since it's only been released in its demo form(they disabled saving, and the game "ends" when you first meet Dhaos), it's not really playable for anything more than experimentation. The Absolute Zero patch, however, I've played through the entire game with, and actually beat it for a change since the PSX version fixed the HORRIBLE encounter rate that kept me from finishing the SNES version. (every three steps, new fight! Great, now I'm tired of one of the most interesting combat systems in an RPG of the time...)
Akari-Seishin wrote:
I've only ever played Symphonia and the sequeal to it, and the sequeal, or what looked like it to alot of people, Phantasia.

Tales of Symphonia is definitely the prequel to Phantasia, and it's more obvious in the non-official translations, oddly enough. There's a book in one of the libraries that refers to Aselius' two moons as Sylvarant and Tethe'ala, the Eternal Sword plotline, and the references to Derris Kharlan. Plus, y'know, Martel and Yggdrassil.

Akari-Seishin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2011, 4:40 pm

Akari-Seishin wrote:

Tales of Symphonia is definitely the prequel to Phantasia, and it's more obvious in the non-official translations, oddly enough. There's a book in one of the libraries that refers to Aselius' two moons as Sylvarant and Tethe'ala, the Eternal Sword plotline, and the references to Derris Kharlan. Plus, y'know, Martel and Yggdrassil.[/quote]
yea. just i forgot when each was released xD besides saying symphonia's sequeal is the same as saying phantasia's prequeal..i think.

Memories are only as great as people make them, so make every moment as memorable as it can be.

flamemasterelan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2011, 4:49 pm

Akari-Seishin wrote:
yea. just i forgot when each was released xD besides saying symphonia's sequeal is the same as saying phantasia's prequeal..i think.

I thought you meant that you didn't think Phantasia and Symphonia were connected. >_>

By the way, where the hell do the names come from? At first, Phantasia made sense, until I found out the planet's name was actually Aselia, and there's no "Phantasia" there at all. Destiny could make a bit of sense, if I played it enough to remember. I think I remember Dymlos saying that Stahn was "Chosen" but then revealed that was a lie to fool him. Eternia's the name of the combined world, makes sense. Symphonia's kind of weird. Since Symphonia isn't actually a word. And sounds like a world. The two worlds coming together would work for symphony, I guess, but Symphonia?

Akari-Seishin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2011, 4:51 pm

flamemasterelan wrote:
I thought you meant that you didn't think Phantasia and Symphonia were connected. >_>

By the way, where the hell do the names come from? At first, Phantasia made sense, until I found out the planet's name was actually Aselia, and there's no "Phantasia" there at all. Destiny could make a bit of sense, if I played it enough to remember. I think I remember Dymlos saying that Stahn was "Chosen" but then revealed that was a lie to fool him. Eternia's the name of the combined world, makes sense. Symphonia's kind of weird. Since Symphonia isn't actually a word. And sounds like a world. The two worlds coming together would work for symphony, I guess, but Symphonia?

Oh sorry about that confusion.

I don't know where they get their names. I played Symphonia to remember they use it alot in the theatures in the games but still doesn't mean they have to name the whole game that. the others..they made no sense to me really, just figured they wanted a name and stuck that there.

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2011, 5:34 pm

When do I get my first achievement in the newest one :(

Regal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2011, 11:03 pm

Symphonia is probably my favorite game of all time. Really disliked Dawn of the New World, though.
I've played through Abyss, which I thought was amazing as well. Beat Legendia, which was okay. Couldn't get through Vesperia no matter how hard I tried, for some reason it bored me...

Trying my hand at Phantasia and Destiny on emulators at the moment. They look pretty promising so far.

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 12:57 am

I've played Symphonia and Vesperia. I thought they were ok. Well, actually, Symphonia was quite good, actually - though the ending made me groan in disappointment. I played it on the game cube - epic two disks. Very satisfying and fun. Got tons of hours on that game just going through the story too. TONS. Took forever to beat and I had fun getting to the end. So... Yay. (:
Also, DEMON FANG! DEMON FANG! DEMON FANG! DOUBLE DEMON FANG! FIERCE DEMON FANG! DEMON FANG! DEMON FANG!
I don't think that attack will ever fully leave my ears. :lol:

My sis is a huge, HUGE fan - she's played through those two as well as all of Abyss, Legendia and some other one as well, so I've seen parts of them as well.

I like the combat, though it is very button mash-friendly. But man oh man, those world maps and endless places that you wander through doing baby puzzles that just use the sorcerer's ring (and the like) to activate stuff... And that godawful 'mew' thing in that one game whose name I don't recall... I cannot stand the pointless wandering, I get bored. Not enough to do outside of battle. I demand sidequests!

But I really like that the boss fights are often pleasantly challenging - enough that you really feel accomplished after beating them but not so hard that you want to put down the game for a month. The plots too can be pretty good - varies from game to game though.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2011, 9:06 am

Tales of Vesperia is so very very beautiful.

But I liked the story in Tales of the Abyss and Legendia more. Phantasia had a good story too.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 7:09 am

I really like Tales of Symphonia 1 and 2 for the Nintendo Gamecube and Wii. TOS2 is probably the best Wii game I've played that isn't published by Nintendo by the way.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2011, 8:42 am

Anyone try patching and playing the Tales games that didn't get English versions?

http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64255

I've played the Tales of Phantasia translation patch. That was fun. I would need a DS cart to play the Tales of Innocence one though. :/

Using walkthroughs for imported versions is fun too.