Do some words/phrases make you cringe?

Page 10 of 10 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

HairlessAlbinoCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2012, 3:09 am

I am practically never around people speaking in English, so I can only comment on grammar errors: I don't get how some people seem to think you're & your are interchangeable.
Now some things that make my eyes seem like a have an awful tic (in Spanish): When people pronounce the "ll" as a "y", "v" as a "b" and "z"s & "c"s (before "e" and "i") as an s. But mostly when people add a "j" to words like "alar" (to go away), "retahila" (series, string), halar (to pull) etc. Also when people omit "c"s, "p"s, "g"s, "d"s and "b"s as in "contracto", "subscripto", "persignar", "adbasía" and "abducto" respectively (to contract, to catch; subscribed, to cross o.s., kiss and abducted respectively). Or even worse, when people confuse the word "deparar" (to provide) with the word "reparar" (to repair). Which bring me to the thing that makes me cringe the most; mark my words, because this is going to back fire horrendously for the church; how at least in the Hispanic world all around, Christian liturgical vocabulary is being replaced with more and more words supposedly intended to make the common people more acquainted with the word of god, I mean it's like bible for dummies. I am not Christian and actually an ignostic, practically atheist but very interested in theology. I just don't get it, if this is your god you're praising why do they go about in to church to have what not many decades ago could have been depicted as a heretical ho down of the word???, I found it very baffling indeed :? .