Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 5:32 pm

ScientistOfSound wrote:
Soppy talk.

E.G

Husband: You're my snicker doodle pie!
Wife: You're my pooky bear!
Husband: I love you my beautiful darling!
Wife: I love my hubby!

If I ever actually hear that conversation in public, there will be bloodshed.

Yes soppy/sappy talk in public is definitely a "no no" to me as well. Also I do dislike annoying TV ads that are always much louder than the TV show. Sometimes TV ads are well done and even funny, but most often they are annoying. :roll:

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 5:35 pm

nemorosa wrote:
The recent (last 5 years or so) trend in the use of the word "passion", especially by presenters at the BBC who really should know better.

It is both cringe worthy and infuriating at the same time to hear people say "I'm so passionate about..."

The word should be used in the sexual or religious sense but no other. Instead it is attributed to the most mundane things. I almost foam at the mouth with rage.

What is wrong with "I really like..." or "I enjoy..." ?

Yes sometimes trendy words can be annoying and get old. A trendy word that is very annoying now is "artisan". This is "artisan" so it makes you want to buy it more or not. :?:

Mithra
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Apr 2012, 8:08 pm

I cannot stand the name "Keith". I don't know why, but it really bothers me to hear or say it.
The phrase "take it for granite". The word is granted! Granite is a rock!
I could care less. No, what you mean is that you could not care less.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 8:26 pm

Oldout wrote:
How can you say that?

It's easy I just did and would say it again. NTs are just so naive when it comes to reality.

^Those sort of questions...
"How can you like that?" - I just do, do I really need to justify my preferences?
"How can you eat that?" - I just did, would you like to try some?
"How can you not understand?" - Uhh, now I'm supposed to be able to explain how my brain thinks?

And also the questions that people dont want honest answers to.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 9:43 pm

The word "blister" is not pleasant to me.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 9:47 pm

A lot of words. And Doodle or Die earned me a hatred of any descriptions related to Dragon Ball Z.

Lukas64
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Apr 2012, 1:42 am

A phrase I really hate that a lot of teachers/administrators use...
When they refer to my mom as such: "Well, I'm sure Mom would..."
Just no...she is not your mother. I didn't refer to her as "Mom", I call her my mother or by her name. It irks me immensely.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 1:57 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
As sound as a Pound. That would be almost as bad as saying, "As happy as money."

I've been staring at this for the last few minutes, trying to parse what that expression even means...
8O

I write about computers and technology for a living, and technical jargon really irks me, mainly because it's almost all universally meaningless. "Distruption" as a term to describe how one company can completely change an industry is my least favorite, followed by the word "solution" when used to describe a product.

On the other hand, I find "food" to be a rather amusing word to say. :)

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 2:09 am

Lukas64 wrote:
A phrase I really hate that a lot of teachers/administrators use...
When they refer to my mom as such: "Well, I'm sure Mom would..."
Just no...she is not your mother. I didn't refer to her as "Mom", I call her my mother or by her name. It irks me immensely.

Oh yeah, when people use words incorrectly in a way that doesn't make sense, it truly grates on me as well. For example, my mum used to say I have a birthday, when she actually meant I'm going to someone else's birthday. 8O

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 3:01 am

My mum used to say "keep your eyes peeled" meaning keep on the look out, however being a very visual thinker, what I saw in my head was someone peeling their eyes with a peeler 8O

ThatKidInTheCorner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2012, 12:29 pm

Quite a few of them, actually, but they tend to be the nastier, more violent ones. I've learned to be a bit more accepting as this is how people talk, even if it is a little callous.

nukey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Apr 2012, 1:19 pm

"Strike a light" ... even the thought of this phrase makes me feel physically ill.

HairlessAlbinoCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2012, 5:25 pm

Bethie wrote:
Ebonics
Poor grammar, especially subject-verb agreement
Redundancies (ATM machine, PIN number, KFC chicken)
"I could care less" when used to express apathy
Referring to women as "girls" or "chicks"

Add to this: ppl hu tlk n txt tlk n ppl hu dnt no how 2 spell "ASPERGERS", WHEN THEY HAVE IT

^^^^
this

HairlessAlbinoCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2012, 5:34 pm

Cogs wrote:
My mum used to say "keep your eyes peeled" meaning keep on the look out, however being a very visual thinker, what I saw in my head was someone peeling their eyes with a peeler 8O

For Tom Cruise's sake!! !, now I am seeing it ! !! help...

________
It was an All-in-One and One-in-All of limitless being and self — not merely a thing of one Space-Time continuum, but allied to the ultimate animating essence of existence's whole unbounded sweep — the last, utter sweep which has no confines and which outreaches fancy and mathematics alike. It was perhaps that which certain secret cults of earth have whispered of as YOG-SOTHOTH, and which has been a deity under other names; that which the crustaceans of Yuggoth worship as the Beyond-One, and which the vaporous brains of the spiral nebulae know by an untranslatable Sign...

— "Through the Gates of the Silver Key" (1934) by H. P. Lovecraft and E. Hoffmann Price

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 5:40 pm

Gig, I always imagine radio 1 DJs saying it.
Blood, sweat and tears! I'd rather not have those things all over what you're presenting to us. Especially when you're on Masterchef.
"Shabby Chic" or rustic when used as a selling point.

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

08 Apr 2012, 8:58 pm

When someone refers to another person as 'Baby' as a term of endearment or attraction. Especially when that person is someone they have or want a sexual relationship with. It brings to mind child molestation :? 8O