Do some words/phrases make you cringe?

Page 1 of 10 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 1:07 pm

Like metaphors due to their literal meaning, a dislike of the sound of a word, or a bad experience with a word or phrase?

The phrase "lost your head" gives me the willies for a couple of reasons. First of all, the literal definition of it is a bit unsettling AND when I was younger, I used to joke about this person's head falling off and turning into a rock for some reason and now I feel like that was mean because person I was joking about was a real person.

Anyone else?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 1:11 pm

"Baby dancing"
*shudder*

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 1:20 pm

Yes. Two especially.
Can't even type them.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 1:41 pm

The phrase "believe in evolution" always makes me wince; I always try to use the phrase "I accept evolution" instead of "I believe in evolution."

The phrase "why do NT's..." always sets me on guard as well. Obviously it's convenient for something like a thread title with limited room, but unless the post contains a "I know not all neurotypical people do this, but this is something I've observed in many different people" disclaimer it makes me cringe. At worst, it's a lead-in to an anti-NT rant, and at best it's ignorance about mental diversity even within a "typical" population (which is better, but still not good).

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

03 Mar 2011, 2:08 pm

Ebonics
Poor grammar, especially subject-verb agreement
Redundancies (ATM machine, PIN number, KFC chicken)
"I could care less" when used to express apathy
Referring to women as "girls" or "chicks"

Add to this: ppl hu tlk n txt tlk n ppl hu dnt no how 2 spell "ASPERGERS", WHEN THEY HAVE IT

Last edited by Bethie on 03 Mar 2011, 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 2:16 pm

As sound as a Pound. That would be almost as bad as saying, "As happy as money."

Zeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 2:18 pm

One of the things that makes me cringe is when people I don't know say "How are you?". It's a rhetorical question, the answer is good or fine. Why ask if you don't want to know!?!?

Mar1976
Raven
Raven

03 Mar 2011, 3:04 pm

Cake (the sound of the spoken word makes me cringe, also reminds me of situations in my childhood where 'cake' was involved, most people spoke with their mouths full of cake.....yuk; also the occasions a cake would appear, were often occasions I felt uncomfortable/bored, I don't eat cake!)
Scone
Any derogatory term to describe peoples genitalia, male or female, (I won't type a list of them!)

There are probably others, but can't think of them now, my brain has probably deleted them.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 3:07 pm

Quote:
(ATM machine, PIN number, KFC chicken)

This X 1000.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 3:08 pm

Ugh too many to remember at once.

Teamwork. (In reality it means getting along with coworkers socially, and doing their work when they aren't competent. Nothing to do with a team or with my work.)

If you or your loved ones suffer from.... (Ambulance chaser lawyers. Piss off.)

Talk to your doctor about %pill%. (How about getting the twinkie out of your mouth and jump on a treadmill instead???)

Synergy, action item, opportunity (meaning sales lead, AKA a sucker willing to give us money), budget, committee.

Think of the children. (Everything and anything can be justified as long as it's some sort of a sacrifice in the name of security, especially for the children. It has nothing to do with children.)

It's best for the shareholders. (Corporate equivalent of the above.)

Do you have your advantage/saver's/club card? (At the grocery store. No! I'm not an idiot... The data they gather with it is worth more than the piddly "savings" for using it.)

Sir. (I'm not THAT old. Besides: STOP CALLING ME SIR NUMBNUTS! DROP AND GIVE ME 25!)

Pay just %huge dollar amount%. The more you buy the more you save!! ! One day only! For a limited time! (Seriously, how stupid do they think we are?)

Drivel from pretty much every religious text ever written.

Partly cloudy with a chance of rain. (Really? Well THANK YOU for that incredibly insightful and useful forecast.)

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 3:31 pm

Most anything Ben Franklin ever wrote - you know those little witticisms he was so fond of? "A penny saved..." "A friend in need..." and so on. Stupid idiot flew a kite during an electrical storm. Numbnuts.

"Oh my word!"

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

03 Mar 2011, 4:01 pm

Living in the south...the word n*ggar is used like some people use the word "cool". To me this is verry offensive. I know some black folks that are more dignified than these bigots could even try to be. I also find racist, homophobic, chavanist jokes to be shallow and stupid and not funny...obviously fishing at the shallow end of the gene pool.

I also find abrievations for illnesses kinda anoying, although I use them myself to save space.

As far as words go....too many without purpose really anoys me like graduation speeches that drag on for 45 minutes rambling on about crap that is not reality anyway.

tv drug ads....the part where they have this calm music with a soft female voice telling you all the side effects....somehow that tactic just erks me.

I would have more but I am not with it yet

Jojo

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

03 Mar 2011, 4:30 pm

Dilbert wrote:
Talk to your doctor about %pill%. (How about getting the twinkie out of your mouth and jump on a treadmill instead???)

8O

Not sure which group of people you're stereotyping, but I'm positive it's offensive.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 5:20 pm

jojobean wrote:
As far as words go....too many without purpose really anoys me like graduation speeches that drag on for 45 minutes rambling on about crap that is not reality anyway.

I feel that the majority of words that people speak are without purpose. And my graduation "speech" was under a minute long. :lol:

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 5:36 pm

Bethie wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

8O

Not sure which group of people you're stereotyping, but I'm positive it's offensive.

yeah, the treadmill ain't a cure-all.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 7:16 pm

pat2rome wrote:
The phrase "why do NT's..." always sets me on guard as well.

Oh yes, me too... so very much.

~

"Aspie" and "aspergian" both annoy me when I see them.