Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2006, 4:27 am

Ask your friends.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2006, 1:14 pm

I feel that it's important to have friends, because it feels good to be around people who are willing to understand my Quirks. Friends are the special breed of people who will listen to you, instead of telling you that your problems are all in your Head. Friends are the people who make you you feel safe and wanted.

blackduck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2006, 12:08 am

Good topic Captain and good answers to think about.

Why do I (me) think I need friends? Depending on what mood I am in you would get different answers. But I do need friends. For example, the opening of duck season is something of a reunion for me. I can see some friends I haven't seen since last duck opening. A couple of years ago the season was cancelled and we still got together. Nothing could keep me away. Duck opening is a social thing.

There's been times I felt like I had no friends which is ok. Feeling you having friends is better.

It might be an instinct carried down since cavemen, when if you weren't part of a group, you didn't survive.

lol (I just worked out what that means)

:)

Cool_aspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2006, 7:27 pm

Captain_Brown wrote:
Why do you think friends are important in life?

Friends are important because they fight lonelieness, depression and stress. There is nothing better than talking to a close friend about your issues in life when you're feeling like crap. Friends are also a part of our health because if you have no friends you'll probably go through life depressed and lonely, which is not good for the body. :(

AaronAgassi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2006, 9:00 pm

"It's not what you know, but who you know."

Meaning, of course, that connections even for the most rank incompetents and scoundrels are all too often so much more key to success even than the very greatest ability, all too often unrecognized and unrewarded. Or, var: It’s not what you know or who you know, but who you sorta-know. In other words, six degrees of separation and all that. -Facility in extended networking has been found to bring to light the competitive plumb opportunities first. Or, var: It's not who you know, but who knows you! Purport: It shall be the propagation of glowing reputation and standing that draws oppportunity and opens many doors.

"He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare,
And he who has one enemy will meet him everywhere."
-Ali ibn Abi Talib, 4th caliph (602-661)

"Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate."
- Thomas Jones

4:7 Then I returned, and I saw vanity under the sun.
4:8 There is one alone, and there is not a second; yea, he hath neither child nor brother: yet is there no end of all his labour; neither is his eye satisfied with riches; neither saith he, For whom do I labour, and bereave my soul of good? This is also vanity, yea, it is a sore travail.
04:9 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.
4:10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.
4:11 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?
4:12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

-Ecclesiastes, King James version

"Philosophers, writers, artists, even scientists, not only need encouragement and an audience, they need constant stimulation from other people. It is almost impossible to think without talking. If Defoe had really lived on a desert island, he could not have written Robinson Crusoe, nor would he have wanted to. Take away freedom of speech, and the creative faculties dry up."

'Conversation with a Pacifist' by George Orwell
http://www.resort.com/~prime8/Orwell/pacifist.html

"I think a man only needs one thing in life. He just needs someone to love. If you can't give him that, then give him something to hope for. And if you can't give him that, just give him something to do."
-James Liddle

Memorable Quotes from
Flight of the Phoenix (remake, 2004)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377062/quotes

True love does not come by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.  
— Jason Jordan

lightsounds
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2006, 10:57 pm

no, they're not.

Last edited by lightsounds on 24 Aug 2006, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AaronAgassi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2006, 5:02 pm

?