Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 3:14 am

You state "if"

Life can not exist without other life as life manages the ecosystem. To be ignorant and say there is only life on this planet is stupid.

It's very much a certain fact that life exists on other planets. Which ones we do not know. It would therefore be safe to assume they have other life on that same planet.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 6:31 am

Keith wrote:
You state "if"

Life can not exist without other life as life manages the ecosystem. To be ignorant and say there is only life on this planet is stupid.

It's very much a certain fact that life exists on other planets. Which ones we do not know. It would therefore be safe to assume they have other life on that same planet.

An assumption is only valid if it can be validated or invalidated. We don't have the means at the moment.

ChrisVulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2011, 4:55 pm

Vigilans wrote:
If there are any aliens within 80 light years we have been bombarding their planets with sh** television. I hope to christ I'm not around when Jersey Shore gets to them

If the movie "Galaxy Quest" is any indicator, the aliens have been watching old Star Trek for decades now. :lol:

Watch Doctor Who!

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 5:23 pm

then they are closer than i would have imagined, i need my tinfoil hat.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 11:03 am

ChrisVulcan wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
If there are any aliens within 80 light years we have been bombarding their planets with sh** television. I hope to christ I'm not around when Jersey Shore gets to them

If the movie "Galaxy Quest" is any indicator, the aliens have been watching old Star Trek for decades now. :lol:

Theyve been watching Mltion Berle's Texaco Hour even longer.

Radio has been going on for almost a hundred years. Broadcast TV for sixty five (or maybe 80) years.
A hundred light years may not seem like much in a galaxy 100K light years across, but since each star system averages about five or six lightyears apart that means that our TV broadcasts have reached several hundred star systems, and several thousand have been hit by our radio broadcasts.

But how many of these star systems have inteligent life equipped with radio recievers? The odds are that none of these star systems have any living thing even as advanced as a bacterium.

But even if there were a number actual ET civilizations within these "shells" of distance ( 100 light years, and 65 light years) that had the right kind of recievers to get our radio and tv signals you still wouldnt have to worry about ET Television critics panning our civilization because our embarrassing TV programing.

The experts have recently concluded that TV and Radio signals become jumbled and devoid of information content by about two light years distance (about halfway to the next star).

So ET's would be alerted that we were capable of TV/radio broadcast per se- but even at the nearest star all they would get would be static.

ChrisVulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2011, 9:55 am

naturalplastic wrote:
ChrisVulcan wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Theyve been watching Mltion Berle's Texaco Hour even longer.

Radio has been going on for almost a hundred years. Broadcast TV for sixty five (or maybe 80) years.
A hundred light years may not seem like much in a galaxy 100K light years across, but since each star system averages about five or six lightyears apart that means that our TV broadcasts have reached several hundred star systems, and several thousand have been hit by our radio broadcasts.

But how many of these star systems have inteligent life equipped with radio recievers? The odds are that none of these star systems have any living thing even as advanced as a bacterium.

But even if there were a number actual ET civilizations within these "shells" of distance ( 100 light years, and 65 light years) that had the right kind of recievers to get our radio and tv signals you still wouldnt have to worry about ET Television critics panning our civilization because our embarrassing TV programing.

The experts have recently concluded that TV and Radio signals become jumbled and devoid of information content by about two light years distance (about halfway to the next star).

So ET's would be alerted that we were capable of TV/radio broadcast per se- but even at the nearest star all they would get would be static.

So odds are, we're not watching extraterrestrial TV shows or radio, either. That's disappointing. :(

Watch Doctor Who!

Mindtear
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 10:45 am

If an alien race were to spend the investment in time and resources to get to a place like Earth, would it arrive in a friendly manner, or take what they need to suvive and kill everything in the process?

Is broadcasting our existence a good idea when the resources required to get here would be so vast?

Assuming Clarkes 3rd law "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" An advanced alien race would seem godlike. Would they even be aware of us, or would they care we existed?

Wondering peoples take on these questions.