Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 11:08 pm

cave_canem wrote:
If I found a planet like Vulcan, I wouldn't bombard them. I'd move there.

:lol: Me too
Quote:
Well, to make a long story short after the humans get on the space ship for their wonderful excursion they find out that the book was a Cook Book. Old shows like the twilight zone were great; almost no special effects but the meaning of each show was unique and made a person think a little deeper about life; they were quite a commentary on the nature of existence.

I love that episode, and that show. Classic
Quote:
My own personal thought about the advancement of humans is we are moving toward a pleasure based motiff and away from the ability for critical consciousness. Advancement is what it is; but not necessarily advantageous.

Some part of me suspects we will replace ourselves with artificial intelligence at some point. It will likely outlive us. If we find an advanced alien race, I suspect it will have gone through a similar transition to synthetic life with superior cognitive abilities, in addition to just about everything else.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Some part of me suspects we will replace ourselves with artificial intelligence at some point. It will likely outlive us. If we find an advanced alien race, I suspect it will have gone through a similar transition to synthetic life with superior cognitive abilities, in addition to just about everything else.

This is easier for me to imagine than an organic life form achieving it. Just the environmental factors (excluding the effect of man) on our planet may result in our extinction long before an organic life form might achieve this.

Whereas space travel seems to be limited by government funding; the funding and motivation in the private world that could lead us in the artifical intelligence direction may be more likely.

We are already well on our way to achieve this. Our memories on hard drives, virtual sex on a computer screen, communicating without gesture, voice, or penmanship, etc. The exoskeleton of our mind is a loose fit, but it is all around us.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:45 am

aghogday wrote:

Whereas space travel seems to be limited by government funding; the funding and motivation in the private world that could lead us in the artifical intelligence direction may be more likely.

Space travel is limited by the laws of physics. No amount of money will be able to move a non-zero mass at the speed of light.

ruveyn

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:20 am

aghogday wrote:
You may not have seen reruns of the old "Twilight Zone" shows. One of my favorites was "To Serve Man". A group of "Nine Foot Tall Aliens" visit the earth and promise wonderful things to humans. They offer a visit to their planet and carry a book with them whereever they go that looks like a Bible and is titled "To Serve Man".

Well, to make a long story short after the humans get on the space ship for their wonderful excursion they find out that the book was a Cook Book. Old shows like the twilight zone were great; almost no special effects but the meaning of each show was unique and made a person think a little deeper about life; they were quite a commentary on the nature of existence.

My own personal thought about the advancement of humans is we are moving toward a pleasure based motiff and away from the ability for critical consciousness. Advancement is what it is; but not necessarily advantageous. The humans in the twilight zone show found that out.

I love the Twilight Zone

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:22 am

ruveyn wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Space travel is limited by the laws of physics. No amount of money will be able to move a non-zero mass at the speed of light.

ruveyn

it IS true you cannot go the the speed of light BUT you can come close just never actually reach that speed and hell even coming close would be a technological marvel

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:26 am

TheKing wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
aghogday wrote:

ruveyn

it IS true you cannot go the the speed of light BUT you can come close just never actually reach that speed and hell even coming close would be a technological marvel

Review the formula for relativistic mass. Where do we get the energy to move , say I kg of matter at 99 percent of the speed of light? Answer: No where. It is outside the envelope of our technological capability for the foreseeable future.

Money will buy a great deal but it will not buy a miracle and it won't buy technological advances on demand. That depends on genius which occurs at random.

ruveyn

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:30 am

ruveyn wrote:
TheKing wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
aghogday wrote:

ruveyn

Review the formula for relativistic mass. Where do we get the energy to move , say I kg of matter at 99 percent of the speed of light? Answer: No where. It is outside the envelope of our technological capability for the foreseeable future.

Money will buy a great deal but it will not buy a miracle and it won't buy technological advances on demand. That depends on genius which occurs at random.

ruveyn

i never said right now it is literally impossible for humans at this point BUT it is possible though sometime in the most likely very far future......very far so it is very difficult to be on your end debating what technologies(following the Laws of Nature as this one is) will be available in the future

as a futurist, assuming mankind doesnt drive itself to extinction with its pointless and detrimental wars, i hae high hopes for possible future technologies

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:31 am

ruveyn wrote:
aghogday wrote:

ruveyn

That is also the way I understand it given our current state of technology and our understanding of the laws of physics. I doubt the laws of physics will change, but what might be achieved by what we can only imagine as an Synthentic Artifical Intelligence life form more intelligent than we are thousands of years in the future is no more real than Star Trek at this time.

If an artifical intelligence synthetic form like this exists thousands of years into the future, here or somewhere else, it is more likely that the two shall meet either here or there. The chance may be zero, limited by our present understanding of the law of physics, now and forever, in that case it is as likely that an alien of some kind will find us tommorrow.

I don't think I'm in a position at this point in time, to say the chance will always be zero for us, or an artifical life form that comes after us, or even zero, now, for an alien form from somewhere else.

Given everything I know from what is possible in the present, my opinion is, it is not likely.

There is less limitation on imagination than reality, but at times the two can meet.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:35 am

aghogday wrote:

I don't think I'm in a position at this point in time, to say the chance will always be zero for us, or an artifical life form that comes after us, or even zero, now, for an alien form from somewhere else.

Given everything I know from what is possible in the present, my opinion is, it is not likely.

There is less limitation on imagination than reality, but at times the two can meet.

The more our technology is improved and our experimental methods are advanced, the more evidence for quantum physics and relativity theory. If some one discovers a way around the limitations on speed it will be a major fluke or an exact of overwhelming genius. In any case, do not hold your breath until it happens. Relativity Theory is just about as true as theories can be in physics.

ruveyn

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:38 am

ruveyn wrote:
aghogday wrote:

The more our technology is improved and our experimental methods are advanced, the more evidence for quantum physics and relativity theory. If some one discovers a way around the limitations on speed it will be a major fluke or an exact of overwhelming genius. In any case, do not hold your breath until it happens. Relativity Theory is just about as true as theories can be in physics.

ruveyn

I dont mean to burst your bubble but i dont think you gotta worry about him holding his breath that long its kind of impossible
lol

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:47 am

TheKing wrote:

I dont mean to burst your bubble but i dont think you gotta worry about him holding his breath that long its kind of impossible
lol

I have not had burstable bubbles for nearly fifty years. I am a pragmatic pessimist. I expect little but I am willing to celebrate an unlooked for break.

ruveyn

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:49 am

ruveyn wrote:
TheKing wrote:

lol

I have not had burstable bubbles for nearly fifty years. I am a pragmatic pessimist. I expect little but I am willing to celebrate an unlooked for break.

ruveyn

im onlt a pessimist regarding MY life but humanity as a whole i have(hopefully not missplaced) hopes about the future

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:53 am

TheKing wrote:
aghogday wrote:
You may not have seen reruns of the old "Twilight Zone" shows. One of my favorites was "To Serve Man". A group of "Nine Foot Tall Aliens" visit the earth and promise wonderful things to humans. They offer a visit to their planet and carry a book with them whereever they go that looks like a Bible and is titled "To Serve Man".

My own personal thought about the advancement of humans is we are moving toward a pleasure based motiff and away from the ability for critical consciousness. Advancement is what it is; but not necessarily advantageous. The humans in the twilight zone show found that out.

I love the Twilight Zone

Good to know someone that is 17, can still take advantage of what Rod Serling had to offer close to fifty years ago. Alfred Hitchcock put out some great stuff too, but I'm not sure it is still out there, other than DVD.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:56 am

aghogday wrote:
TheKing wrote:
aghogday wrote:

I love the Twilight Zone

Good to know someone that is 17, can still take advantage of what Rod Serling had to offer close to fifty years ago. Alfred
Hitchcock put out some great stuff too, but I'm not sure it is still out there, other than DVD.

Rod Serling was an amazing man TBH i LOVE the Twilight Zone i started watching it when i was a kid didnt care for it much back then but several years ago i became a fan of it

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 2:09 am

ruveyn wrote:
aghogday wrote:

ruveyn

A collection of overwhelming genius got us where we are now in regard to quantum physics and relativity theory. It might be amazing what flukes occur between now and thousands of years in the future. I think we are in pretty good agreement on what is possible with our current state of knowledge. I wouldn't want to live a thousand years even if I could, so I will breathe easy before it happens.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 4:42 pm

All it takes is one UFO to be actually an alien spacecraft for there to be evidence that there may be a way around the speed of light being the absolute speed limit.