Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 10:16 am

Well, here's the scoop . . . as some of you know, I'm working two part time jobs (both of which are customer service oriented, which I hate), moved back in with my parents after 4 years living solo. Currently one of the jobs has cut back over half the hours I used to work (ie 28 hours/week down to 14), and will likely cut more this coming week. My parents have been getting onto me to find something, but the pickings are still slim, and I want the hell out of customer service. I've tried Craigslist, Monster, and Careerbuilder, recently revised my resume, and still getting the phishing customer service emails. I don't know what to do . . . and my parents aren't exactly patient. I know they're wanting to retire, but at the same time I don't think they're facing the facts of the current economy (I'm even paying them rent). Any suggestions, because one side or the other isn't listening, and I don't know if it's me.

I'll admit that I'm getting tired of sending resumes that aren't being replied to, and I'm lucky if i send out 5-10 applications a week. I'm 30, and the only son who's having the harder time (AS reason likely, but I'm trying not to let that be the deciding factor). I'll admit to playing WoW when not doing anything, given that gas prices are $3.50/gal over here. Not to mention one of my jobs goes into furlow (sp?), meaning that I'm still employed by them, but I'm not working any hours. They do have an summer thing I can do and get paid, but it's questionable as to whether or not I'll get any decent hours.

I'm beyond p1$$ed at things right now. Seems these corporate advisors are making a bad situation worse, and none are stepping up to correct it.

Any plausible help/advise would be appreciated. :(

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 11:37 am

Well, my first thought is have you sat down and talked with your parents about the reality of what is going on. I working but need something better, and I'm lucky if I see even one thing worth putting in an application for because there is no point in just changing jobs....I need better, and in this economy, the jobs just are not there.

I can see them being upset if you're not working as much as you could be, but you really can't force people to give you more hours, and obviously, you're looking for a newer position that will supply you with hours (at the very least). They might see your "leisure time" as being lazy.

I'm staying with family now. It was supposed to be temporary, but for a much smaller rent and doing my share of chores, I was hesitant to get my own place again KNOWING what I knew was coming economically. Both of my parents are retired, but since I work full-time, they'd rather me move on to a better paying job (with benefits) than just take on more work or a different job for the sake of change. If I was unemployed, I don't know how strained things would become between us.

If your AS isn't getting in the way too much, try going door-to-door to places you'd like to work? It may be a waste of time, but the problem with looking for want ads and other job-hunting services is that they will only lead you to where someone decided to advertise the opening. Perhaps asking around you might get a part-time job because they needed the body but hadn't yet advertised it (or were holding out until they desperately needed a body).

Your family needs to have better communication...both on what is being felt (by them) and a discussion on the reality of what's going on in your area job-wise.

If staying with family becomes a big enough burden, perhaps finding someone who is renting out a room in their home...in that so long as you pay the rent, they don't care how much or little your work life progresses.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 3:22 pm

I'd love to do that Zero, but I keep feeling that they're not going to listen . . . that the think they're right and I'm wrong. May have to write a letter, but I'm kinda loathe to do that since I vented a LOT of anger in one I did years ago. But, may have no choice either way . . . I hate situations like this.