Page 9 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 9:34 pm

auntblabby wrote:
looniverse wrote:
I also noticed a difference between people in northern Ontario enunciate "Toronto" Toe-RON-toe... and those closer to the city run it together like this: Tuh-ronno

I wonder if that is just a big city thing, because in Louisiana [pertains to thread 'cause of all those Acadian migrants, aka "Cajuns"] they say "noo-awlins' but in the city itself they say "nawlins."

The folks who live in the place tend to collapse the name of the place.

Folks in Baltimore call it "Balmer". Kinda like how Americans will ask "jeet?" instead of "did you eat?".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 9:55 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The folks who live in the place tend to collapse the name of the place. Folks in Baltimore call it "Balmer". Kinda like how Americans will ask "jeet?" instead of "did you eat?".

it seems that from observing the few French-speaking folk I have known, the French and English speakers are the worst offenders in this. liaison is even an official part of the French language, in terms of melding letters/words together.
jeet yet? :chef: shais pas. :shrug:

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 1:13 pm

Like Joe Canadian says on the beer commercial for Molson Canadian,

"I am Canadian".

Lets just leave it at that (said while enjoying a real beer, not that watery stuff 'mericans call beer :D )

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 1:26 pm

eggheadjr wrote:
Like Joe Canadian says on the beer commercial for Molson Canadian, "I am Canadian". Lets just leave it at that (said while enjoying a real beer, not that watery stuff 'mericans call beer :D )

sure wish it was available in my neck of the woods.