Anyone Else Get Upset When Kids Run All Over Their Yard?

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

20 Mar 2011, 6:12 pm

I swear.
If another dumbass parent lets their spawn loose to run up on my porch (or AROUND my house to the backyard!! !)
I'mma go Gran Torino Clint Eastwood.

Look for it in the news.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 6:35 pm

I can understand your frustration ..... however ....

maybe ... just maybe ... some of those annoying children as ASD and their parents are at wit's end.

As a parent of a child with ASD (who is actually pretty well behaved), I take umbrage of the term "dumbass" to describe the parents. Judgment calls and name calling will not help you and only adds to the stress that parents already have. Believe me - I've run into some pretty caustic people who really haven't a clue what raising a kid with ASD is about!!

Notwithstanding this quibble - it is quite understandable to desire one's privacy and maintain a sense of calm in and around your own home. Perhaps approaching the parents in a calm, reasonable way would help to alleviate the situation. If social interaction and/or conflict resolution is not your strongest point - see about getting a helpful friend, family member or other neighbour to help advocate for you.

If the parents are either unwilling or genuinely unable to keep their kids out of your yard - perhaps it is time to install a fence so that a physical barrier would keep the kids out and maintain a serene home environment for you. (it will also keep annoying dogs from pooping on your lawn :wink: )

budgenator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2011, 6:57 pm

I usually conjure up the image of the old farmer in "Courage the cowardly dog' yelling "get the hell off my lawn you young whipper-snappers" which tend to keep me from over reacting.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

20 Mar 2011, 6:58 pm

CanadianRose wrote:
I can understand your frustration ..... however ....

maybe ... just maybe ... some of those annoying children as ASD and their parents are at wit's end.

As a parent of a child with ASD (who is actually pretty well behaved), I take umbrage of the term "dumbass" to describe the parents. Judgment calls and name calling will not help you and only adds to the stress that parents already have. Believe me - I've run into some pretty caustic people who really haven't a clue what raising a kid with ASD is about!!

Notwithstanding this quibble - it is quite understandable to desire one's privacy and maintain a sense of calm in and around your own home. Perhaps approaching the parents in a calm, reasonable way would help to alleviate the situation. If social interaction and/or conflict resolution is not your strongest point - see about getting a helpful friend, family member or other neighbour to help advocate for you.

If the parents are either unwilling or genuinely unable to keep their kids out of your yard - perhaps it is time to install a fence so that a physical barrier would keep the kids out and maintain a serene home environment for you. (it will also keep annoying dogs from pooping on your lawn :wink: )

That's very true. I certainly meant no offense-
I've often wondered what on earth I would do if I wound up in a situation with children who would not obey me-
I was a very strong-willed child, and you know, as Bill Cosby says "All mothers put the curse on their children!"
("Someday when you grow up and have children, I hope that they act exactly the same way that you act.")

It's just very startling. I consider my home my sanctuary, and when I look out a window and there's someone wandering around, it's very unnerving and even frightening.

I wouldn't mind dogs on my lawn. Just people. :lol:

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 7:22 pm

Plant cacti!

missykrissy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2011, 9:53 pm

kids do those types of things especially if they are neighbourhood kids playing outside without their parents. if so the parents probably have no idea the kids are even doing it. you could always put up a fence if you find it that bad. i am also raising not one, but 3 kids on the spectrum. i am happy to have them run on peoples lawns rather than the road and if that's the best i can get from them then i'll be greatful for that. seems i spend more time yelling "Stay off the road!" than anything else when i work up the courage to take them outside. being judged by thier lack of listening skills is truely tiring.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 8:38 am

I totally agree with you, Bethie.

Everybody should keep their kids, pets, trash, and everything else off other peoples' property!
I don't walk across their lawns, and I don't allow my kids to, either.

I have a neighbor on one side who visits the neighbor on the other side by walking across my front yard and about three feet from my side bedroom window. One day I was in there breastfeeding and she walked by and our eyes met through the window.
I wasn't embarrassed, but I hope she was.
Probably not, and ya know why? Because she's a DUMBASS.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 10:03 am

For me, it's not the neighborhood kids, but the cats who not only like my yard, they use it as their litterbox. 8O I hate that, & worse is the smell they leave behind. They've also started urinating on my front door.

I'd take kids over the cats any day!

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 10:47 am

Yes they annoy me a lot. I've got a fortress mentality and I don't want them invading my space.

I gather there's an ultrasonic device that can be used to keep youths and kids away from the area. I'd consider that, if invading kids was a big problem. I'm surprised it's legal, but it is.

I'm not 100% happy with my attitude, but living in a city, I'm not 100% happy with their attitude either. I believe that it can be very different outside of the ghettoes. Some of the communes had a much more liberal way with kids....hippie kids aren't usually so much of a problem, and there'd always be house meetings where you could raise any issues.....I never met any commune kids who had that mean-spirited outlook of those from straight society. It's the alienation that makes the difference - so many people living side by side but knowing nothing about each other except when they're doing harm.

spacecadetdave
Raven
Raven

22 Mar 2011, 12:01 pm

Seriously...... you've got to chill out. Unless they're breaking stuff then what is your problem? They're just kids. Can you still remember being one yourself? Kids are free spirits. You should be OK with that.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 12:05 pm

spacecadetdave wrote:
Seriously...... you've got to chill out. Unless they're breaking stuff then what is your problem? They're just kids. Can you still remember being one yourself? Kids are free spirits. You should be OK with that.

Kids too young to respect personal property should not be left unsupervised in a neighborhood.

This is about personal space, and you bet your ass I would be PISSED if the neighbor kids thought my yard was fair game. Whatever happened to respect?

Oh... but they're just kids having fun! *eye roll*

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 12:27 pm

I used to live in a place where the teenagers cut through our yard as part of their short cut from the bus stop. There was an alternate path to take that would've been the same distance. I didn't cause a fuss until they started dumping trash in my side yard. Very few listened, but the ones that continued to cut through stopped dumping their trash. I was considering putting pavers down along that path so they'd have a more secure walkway before we had to move.

The real problem kids were the ones on the bikes because they'd speed through and could really hurt one of my kids if they hit them. And they went through so fast that I couldn't confront them, although from the rest of the kids, I'm sure they knew I didn't want them doing that. One morning there was a kid on a bike who waited at the end of the block for me to go in the house. I knew something was up so I lingered outside, just putsing with this and that. He waited twice as long as it would've taken him to have biked the long way to the bus stop. Still, the moment I went in the front door and he heard that door close, he came streaming through the yard. :roll:

We rescued a golden retriever and one day we were in the backyard playing with him without his leash on. A bike kid comes streaming through and off goes Toby chasing him! My husband and I run after Toby. He caught the kid just before the main road. I asked the kid if he was okay and he said my dog knocked him off his bike but didn't bite him. Then the kid just started swearing and yelling at us. So my husband started swearing and yelling right back... and may have threatened to beat him to the ground, tell his parents about his trespassing so his parents beat him all over again. When my husband told him to get on his bike and get out of here, he did very quickly. And the biking kids never cut through our yard again.

In this day and age, we're lucky we didn't get sued. There aren't a lot of parents like us left in the world who expect their children to be accountable to their actions. That would be my only concern about smaller kids in my yard playing. They could get injured and then I would legally liable.

Otherwise, I don't really mind people "in my yard". I prefer to rent so I don't have a very strong kingdom mentality.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2011, 7:40 pm

I don't care for *anybody* in my yard. I live next to a trail that is a useful shortcut from Point A to Point B. People have to use my driveway to get to it. This does not bother me, but if I see people just hanging out, I'm unhappy. Adults should keep their beer cans and cigarette butts to themselves. Children should be neither seen nor heard. And dogs should $h!t in their OWN yards.

missykrissy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2011, 10:07 pm

alrighty then, next time i take my kids out i will be sure to duct tape their mouths and put on their invisibility cloaks before i allow them to walk in the grass.......
people walk in my yard all the time. i live downtown and i don't have a fence. for the people who don't want kids on their lawns, that is what fences are for, to keep people out. as long as they aren't lingering or being distructive and they are in a part of the yard that is open to the road they aren't doing anything wrong. it's not like the area is secure so you can't expect everyone to stay out. i have to agree i have a lot more problems with drunken fools leaving broken bottles in my yard or idiots on their lunch breaks cutting through and dropping their garbage than i do with cute little kids enjoying my grass or even sliding on my kids slide. if it's privacy that's bugging you, close the drapes. i would never walk around naked or exposed on my first floor without having the windows covered for privacy. i am also a breastfeeding mother but i don't sit and nurse my son where anyone could just walk past randomely and see my breast. i close the curtains and BAM instant privacy.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 6:13 am

two things

1. Where I was sitting, I couldn't be seen EXCEPT by someone trespassing. My house doesn't have a second floor, and shouldn't I be able to look out the window?

2. As I said, I didn't care about someone seeing my boob. It was the property violation that bugged me. A violation by a grown-azz able-bodied woman who had no business being three feet from my window.

FlintsDoorknob
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Mar 2011, 1:27 am

If it's night I just flick on and off the lights or open the door and tell them to go away?

It doesn't bother me a lot now. I think they do it when I'm not home or upstairs. I live in a pretty crowded neighborhood we're all close together. If I see them out there I tell them to go away though. :P