Those Online Personality Tests...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 2:07 pm

When you're applying for a job and you have to take one of those online personality tests when applying, do you tell the truth or completely lie and say that you're good at all that stuff(people skills, organization, etc)? I'm applying for jobs and I keep coming across these... I know that if I answer completely honestly then they will almost certainly not hire me. I'm uncomfortable lying on these things, but it doesn't seem like there's much of a choice if every place is going to discriminate against people with personality traits they don't want(especially traits affected by autism!).

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 2:27 pm

Well, the last time that I took one of those for a job, I was honest. I failed the test.

Mack27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2011, 2:32 pm

If you need the job picture the guy you think they'd hire and answer the questions like he would.

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2011, 2:34 pm

Most of them have build in lie detectors, especially the mmpi. Personally im against these tests and think they should be banned. Their discriminating against people personalitys in the same way its discriminating to not hire someone due to their in a wheelchair, blind or another race or religion.

Mack27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2011, 2:00 pm

When I went to work for MCI I was given a psychological test. I didn't resent it, they were specifically looking for someone capable of functioning alone and troubleshooting problems logically on the fly. They wanted someone who'd bang his head against the floor in frustration before calling for help. This was for a purely technical field position in a quasi-military command structure where people skills were about as irrelevant as people skills can be. Its too bad Bernie Ebbers destroyed that company and Verizon bought up it's smoldering remnants.

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 4:45 pm

I've tried to strike a balance between outright lying and complete honesty. In other words, I won't say something that's a complete fabrication, but I won't say something that will kill my chance of getting the job either.

However, that doesn't seem to be working as I'm still getting rejected for those jobs lol.

Quote:
Personally im against these tests and think they should be banned. Their discriminating against people personalitys in the same way its discriminating to not hire someone due to their in a wheelchair, blind or another race or religion.

I don't know how I feel about them. A part of me strongly agrees with you that it's a form of discrimination. On the other hand, it's not in either party's interest for someone to take a job that doesn't match their personality. I mean should someone quiet and passive be in sales? I don't think so..

I guess what I'm saying is I might be okay with companies discriminating in EXTREME circumstances such as sales jobs, but not other types.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 7:20 pm

Mack27 wrote:
When I went to work for MCI I was given a psychological test. I didn't resent it, they were specifically looking for someone capable of functioning alone and troubleshooting problems logically on the fly.

I took one years ago for a temp agency, and it turned out ok. But, I did some digging, and these new tests that have become very popular lately (i.e. "Unicru") seem worse than personality tests used to be.

It seems like they're screening for a particular personality type for all jobs -- and that type is the most generically stereotypical version of what-employers-look-for-in-personality-traits. I.e. always liking to be interacting with people, and... well someone posted a copy in an old thread:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt81389.html wrote:
# Daniel Says:
July 11, 2008 at 11:05 pm

Ok this is a list of 99 questions. I score 100% with these answers. All answers are Strongly Agree (SA) or Strongly Disagree (SD)

1.You love to be with People.
SA
2. You like to plan things before you do them.
SA
3. You are proud of the work you do at school or on a job.
SA
4.You think of yourself as being very sensible
SA
5.You are more relaxed than strict about finishing things on time
SD
6.You change from felling happy to sad without any reason
SD
7.When you need to, you take it easy at work
SD
8.You like to talk a lot
SA
9.You don’t worry about making a good impression
SD
10.You would rather not get involved in other people’s problems
SD
11.You say whatever is on your mind
SD
12.You get angry more often that nervous
SD
13.You have confidence in yourself
SA
14.There are some people you really can’t stand
SD
15.People do a lot of things that make you angry
SD
16.You like to be in the middle of a big crowd
SA
17.Right now, you care more about having fun than being serious at school or work
SD
18.It bothers you a long time when someone is unfair to you
SD
19.You agree with people more often than you argue
SA
20.When people make mistakes, you correct them
SD
21.You swear when you argue
SD
22.People who talk all the time are annoying
SD
23.There’s no use having close friends; they always let you down
SD
24.It bothers you when you have to obey a lot of rules
SD
25.You have no big worries
SA
26.You work best at a slow but steady speed
SA
27.You love to listen to people talk about themselves
SA
28.Many people cannot be trusted
SD
29.You do some things that upset people
SD
30.You have no big regrets about your past
SA
31.You were absent very few days from high school
SA
32.It is fun to go to events with big crowds
SA
33.Your stuff is often kind of messy
SD
34.You’d rather not compete very much
SD
35.You do not fake being polite
SA
36.You have always had good behavior in school or work
SA
37.You don’t care if you offend people
SD
38.You are not interested in your friends’ problems
SD
39.You always try not to hurt people’s feelings
SA
40.You are a fairly private person
SD
41.When you are annoyed with something, you say so
SD
42.Your friends and family approve of the things you do
SA
43.You have to give up on some things that you start
SD
44.You avoid arguments as much as possible
SA
45.People do a lot of annoying things
SD
46.It is maddening when the court lets guilty criminals go free
SA
47.You hate to give up if you can’t solve a hard problem
SA
48.You know when someone is in a bad mood, even if they don’t show it
SA
49.You can wait patiently for a long time
SA
50.You are unsure of what to say when you meet someone
SD

There's 50 more questions, but that pretty much captures the essence of it. There are a lot of questions I can see a lot of people on the spectrum getting over messed over by. I think those of us from the older generations may have lucked out, from the look of things.

Musicprophets
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Mar 2011, 10:20 pm

yes these unicru tests are pure BS. i loathe taking them so i answer as ideally as i think they should even though i probably some of them wrong. i would rather take a test that is actually somewhat intellectually/ethically/logically important to the functions of the job not just random BS which H.R people seem to be obsessed about. its pure f*****g BS but its here to stay.