Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

You would be inclined to pick which one of the following after reading the introduction?
Accept Autism 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Accept People With Autism 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 10

ci
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 3:35 am

Autism Acceptance or Acceptance of People With Autism?

Detail your differential philosophy between the two.

My own philosophy.

The poll is designed a specific way because if folks are to accept autism or less not accept people with autism then it implies bigotry. If folks want to promote the acceptance of autism as simply a difference compared to cure pursuits which people with autism support then why would they accept autism? If you say accept autistics then some people with autism would say don't call me a disorder label. So really PR can be tricky and leading people into the false belief they are discriminating when they are not accepting someone should have a disorder when they do not want one.

My compromise on this public relations awareness issue is to start respecting all choices. The choices of people with autism that simply view autism as a disorder and a label implying simply the negatives someone needs help with. People with autism that support cures and treatment research for absolute remedies to symptoms do not I don't think want to force anyone to be cured against their will yet want to have their choices respected for the research to take place. I personally don't view autism as positives but simply the negative to be gotten rid of and that is my choice and that's what the label implies.

Nathan Young

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 8:41 am

i honestly dont care how people view themselves or others with autism and dont put much stake in labels.i dont like all the disability phobia and the resentment of autism being viewed as a disability.i think you can view autism as a disability and still respect our personality traits.i am a member of many disability groups and chat with many people with diferant disbilities all the time.i think wrong planet needs to get a generalized disability education

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 8:44 am

I don't get the poll. Why one or the other? Why not both? It doesn't even make sense to accept autism and not accept people with autism.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 8:58 am

Mysty wrote:
I don't get the poll. Why one or the other? Why not both? It doesn't even make sense to accept autism and not accept people with autism.

This

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 9:04 am

Mysty wrote:
i was trying to say and also other disability advocacy groups say they would not want a world without people who are diferant physicaly or neurologicly.the asan is not the only anti cure group out there

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 9:26 am

ci wrote:
My compromise on this public relations awareness issue is to start respecting all choices ...

I personally don't view autism as positives but simply the negative to be gotten rid of ...

I think "respecting all choices" should include not publicizing one's own, and I here use a mention of alcoholism to illustrate:

If I were to say "I personally don't view alcoholism as positives but simply the negative to be gotten rid of", I would be distracting others from having or developing their own views of the condition (as well as sending many people into mental quandary) and thereby "shooting myself in the foot", so to speak, as far as being able to then offer any kind of solution. So then, the challenge becomes that of looking completely past the condition in order to see each individual and his or her specific need, desire and willingness to find resolve.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 9:34 am

leejosepho wrote:
ci wrote:
My compromise on this public relations awareness issue is to start respecting all choices ...

I personally don't view autism as positives but simply the negative to be gotten rid of ...

I think "respecting all choices" should include not publicizing one's own, and I here use a mention of alcoholism to illustrate:

If I were to say "I personally don't view alcoholism as positives but simply the negative to be gotten rid of", I would be distracting others from having or developing their own views of the condition (as well as sending many people into mental quandary) and thereby "shooting myself in the foot", so to speak, as far as being able to then offer any kind of solution. So then, the challenge becomes that of looking completely past the condition in order to see each individual and his or her specific need, desire and willingness to find resolve.
i still think being disabled is nothing to be ashamed of.i see no conflict philosophicly

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 9:44 am

vermontsavant wrote:
i still think being disabled is nothing to be ashamed of.i see no conflict philosophically

Agreed, and that is why I think labels should not have value judgments placed upon them. My alcoholism brought much trouble into my life just as my AS/HFA has presented its own difficulties, yet each has been crucial within the realm of offering me opportunities to learn and to grow.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 12:20 pm

Well it might sound mean but with this comparative idea one could just as easily say one is addicted to the notion of autism and the reality thereof in oneself. One might in context be addicted to redefining the label or even understanding the label in oneself. To say one is either and may lead to a predictable rejection of the problem of addiction. So then it may be mutual and in idea knowing one has a problem seek help and remove the problem by no longer being addicted to the notion of the label.

This also has me thinking to say drop the label and the identity and seeking to redefine it by rejecting the impulses to self-associate thus self medicate with the conceptology. Why is the label and self reality in association so very important when it is but a label. See that work two ways.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

ci
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 12:42 pm

MindBlind wrote:
Mysty wrote:

This

Each implied context has root interpretation in governing social politics.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 12:45 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
i honestly dont care how people view themselves or others with autism and dont put much stake in labels.i dont like all the disability phobia and the resentment of autism being viewed as a disability.i think you can view autism as a disability and still respect our personality traits.i am a member of many disability groups and chat with many people with diferant disbilities all the time.i think wrong planet needs to get a generalized disability education

It does not manifest this way in social politics. It's typically one or the other and never balanced. I have personality traits and I am unsure of how autism other then the difficulties makes up my personality. See the label to me is implied negatives and not the positives as common sense. Why would science seek to help me with and potentially remove if it were my choice to the positive traits. Wouldn't it be logical to assume science would want to keep the positive and remove the negative.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 2:38 pm

ci,look at it this way autism is a personality type in an of itself.both kanner and asperger said they saw the traits in the parents,my parents certainly did and brothers and sisters.everyone personality is in some way influnced by how they experience there emotions and bodily sensaions.in the autistic personality the volume on the senses is turned up so high that its a disability.so yes you can believe both

ci
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 4:40 pm

Yeah I've seen all sorts of people with autism here and there are no substantiated personality similarities. The only similarities are what qualifies people for services which is impairment. If you are saying the impairment is the personality similarity then I'd find it kind of insulting to be asked to refer myself to what disabled me and have pride in it. Now should what is similar decrease to a certain point where functional premise were to allow me to do as I please then hay I'd have much to be proud of but it no longer would be a disability so there is no need for a label.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 2:59 am

im certainly not saying all people with autism are doplegangers of personality.people can have a similar personality in one way and not in another for instance.both me and my father were sensative to certain foods.my father couldnt eat spicy foods but didnt mind strong smelling cheeses.i love hot and spicy foods like chicken vindaloo at a indian restraunt but i cant stand the smell of parmigian cheese or feta cheese.you can have the same personality type and have a diferant personality.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 3:05 am

I hadn't had beans in a while I had some chili cheese in a bowl and it was a terrible experience. It was no laughing matter. In fact the girl friend had to leave the room for a while then again but it kept on going. I am not much into spicy foods either. Cheese I like but there are weird ones out there. I like cheddar least medium but I don't often make food I'm usually to stuck on an interest. Like for instance I watched a Men In Black video today for three hours or so over and over again.

Mental lock figuring out cultural manifestations of the romance with the idea of aliens from other worlds and why the psychosocial divide between fuzzy thinkers imagining so much and the government .

Well this topic here is boring now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IjfpyZVtyE&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 12:33 pm

Both. I believe in both. I do not have to elaborate. I've stated my case.