is it wrong of me to use the word........

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 Mar 2011, 10:12 pm

delic wrote:
you are effectively demonizing the word in this usage by telling everyone it's homophobic and hateful
Well when it's used in this way, what else could it be? And it's not me doing the demonising - it's the person who substitutes it for the more 'unvarnished' original.
I mean, what's so difficult with calling something that's crap, 'crap'?
If someone really wants to use another word and not infer the same negative usage onto the replacement word - then why not something like "that's pants" instead?

Use of 'ret*d' can also pretty hateful, and that word can be tracked back to a factual, plain ol' unemotional definition too.
Is calling something inferior 'ret*d' acceptable? I don't think so, really. It conveys the same hateful connotation onto 'ret*d' as the usage of 'gay' in the same context.

If a word is used out of its general context in place of one meaning 'inferior', then that word comes to mean 'inferior' too.
The context demands it.

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2011, 12:48 am

dunbots wrote:
Actually, people say "that's gay" because of their homophobia. Equating something inferior in quality or whatever is in reference to how homosexuals were treated in the past, and still some today.

This won't make any sense to non-Europeans but.. I do disagree in some cases, I would say that Eurovision for example is gay.

And I love it for it!! ! :D

Yes, I mean literally gay and not inferior. As in, I've yet to see a straight commentator when it's on in my country, it seems to cause quite a bit of partying in the LGBT scene here and everyone (straight or gay) who enjoys a good party hopes to get invited to one of the many gay parties that are held during it. Heck, even I've gone to some and I'm hardly the most social person - and they were pretty fun! Sometimes something is just very very gay, and that's not just OK, it can be frigging awesome! Me and some friends have also been to a few food places that we would describe as gay (not LGBT places, no rainbow flag anywhere in the windows, just normal places with all gay servers it seems). Which in this instance means better music, actual service from waiters, getting food that wasn't cold and just a general all around nice vibe. I dunno where you guys are getting this negative gay thing from, must be some English language thing cuz people I know use it for things we love that involve gay people we love!*

*To varying degrees depending on preferences.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 12:59 am

Well KBerg, Americans in general are much less accepting than Europeans, although it is slowly getting better. I'm an American, but I watched Eurovision last year, and will this year too. ;) Lena so did not deserve to win, there were many better songs. :roll:

ms_katonic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Mar 2011, 3:11 am

dunbots wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
delic wrote:
dunbots wrote:
Actually, people say "that's gay" because of their homophobia. Equating something inferior in quality or whatever is in reference to how homosexuals were treated in the past, and still some today.
I disagree, how could you possibly know what everyones views are when they say that.
You don't need to know their views.
It's enough to know that in common vernacular, gay=homosexual, and when someone says "that's gay" they're saying "that's crap/defective/lame/useless/poor".
Therefore, 'gay' becomes a substitute word for crap/defective/lame/useless/poor.

You said it best. :)

*applauds* I was going to post this but you saved me the bother!

ms_katonic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Mar 2011, 3:13 am

tk5800 wrote:
fag

now we all know fag is used as a derogatory term, but all of my LGBT friends use it to describe homophobic people, so when someone calls me "ewww, your gay" am i allowed to say "fag" back

of course, there is always "this aggression will not stand man, you fascist!"

If you're not LGBT yourself, you probably shouldn't. It's too loaded a word, lots of people find it offensive and it's very easy to misjudge whether it's OK to use it or not. Best not to! If you want to insult someone, there's plenty of other words available that don't have homophobic connotations!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 Mar 2011, 8:23 am

KBerg wrote:
I would say that Eurovision for example is gay.

Yes, I mean literally gay and not inferior.
I think 'outrageously camp' might fit better... :lol:
Eurovision is something I make a point of avoiding. <shudders> Awful, toe-curling stuff.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 11:08 am

Cornflake wrote:
KBerg wrote:
I would say that Eurovision for example is gay.

Yes, I mean literally gay and not inferior.
I think 'outrageously camp' might fit better... :lol:
Eurovision is something I make a point of avoiding. <shudders> Awful, toe-curling stuff.

Agreed. I'll stick with Judas Priest. :lol:

To be honest, I find the interchangeability of "gay" and "camp" to be a bit offensive as well. I have issues with stereotypes of all kinds. XD

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 Mar 2011, 12:03 pm

Zen wrote:
To be honest, I find the interchangeability of "gay" and "camp" to be a bit offensive as well.
Yes. "Camp" is much more subtle and entirely separate from "gay".
Dictionary.com has a good definition:
Quote:
Noun: 1. something that provides sophisticated, knowing amusement, as by virtue of its being artlessly mannered or stylized, self-consciously artificial and extravagant, or teasingly ingenuous and sentimental. 2. a person who adopts a teasing, theatrical manner, especially for the amusement of others.
Verb: (used without object) 3. Also, camp it up. to speak or behave in a coquettishly playful or extravagantly theatrical manner.

keerawa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2011, 12:08 am

I know that a lot of people who say 'That's gay' are not being intentionally homophobic. But it DOES hurt people, and make the environment unfriendly and threatening for most LGBTQ folks. So I don't use it, and I shut people down when I hear them using it.

addison
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2011, 5:16 pm

keerawa wrote:
I know that a lot of people who say 'That's gay' are not being intentionally homophobic. But it DOES hurt people, and make the environment unfriendly and threatening for most LGBTQ folks. So I don't use it, and I shut people down when I hear them using it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS0GVOQPs0[/youtube]

like this?

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 6:09 pm

Rule #1: Know your audience.

Rule #2: See Rule #1.

I have been known to use intemperate language from time to time. For example, in anger I have been know to refer to someone who has behaved in a way that I find inappropriate by a colloquial translation of fellator. But I have never done so in company in which such language would be held to be improper, nor among people who are not entirely clear about my personal views.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 9:30 am

I don't like the idea of people calling each other fags or fa***ts. On the other hand, I find it almost funny when somebody describes something as being Gay, without having a full understanding of what that word means. "Justin Beiber's new video is so Homosexual."

"This bracelet looks so Gay on me."

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 4:33 pm

I hate that word because my ex used it and that is what he called homosexuals. I have two uncles who are gay and would never call them fa***ts. He hated them and was so bigoted towards them. But yet he wouldn't dislike you if you were gay just as long as you didn't act on it or paraded it around like having on your door "I am gay and proud of it" or going to those gay festivals. Really, why did he make it his business and an issue for him? He saw it as shoving it in his face was why even though they never went up to him and started talking about their private lives they do with their partners. My uncles don't do that either.

I'm so glad I am not with him, not something I want my kid to learn.