Page 3 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 3:54 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
jamieboy wrote:
"]The problem of poverty can be solved by poor individuals having more money. The problem of inequality can be solved through progressive taxation and a serious internationally agreed policy on tackling tax avoidance.
So throw money at the poor? This is not only really vague but it's built on a something for nothing philosophy which only serves to sustain the poor rather than help em move up. Are social programs gonna help those who need to get their financial priorities straight and perhaps save money instead of buying a satellite or a big screen TV? Social programs are designed to sustain people not elevate em, and I think most of this should go towards the mentally ill or those who are functionally impaired in some way.

Being "poor" or what i would refer to as a class position is an accident of birth. So yes i'd rather redistribute wealth than set up hurdles for people to overcome so they can be seen as "deserving" of the wealth that they are entitled to in the first place. Your opinion that the reason that people are poor is because "they don't have their priorities straight" is abject nonsense. Some f*****g p**** rich boy might not have his priorities straight but he is not punished harshly in life for it as he has his fathers wealth to fall back on. It's a question of wealth and money, pure and simple.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 4:08 pm

jamieboy wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
jamieboy wrote:
"]The problem of poverty can be solved by poor individuals having more money. The problem of inequality can be solved through progressive taxation and a serious internationally agreed policy on tackling tax avoidance.
So throw money at the poor? This is not only really vague but it's built on a something for nothing philosophy which only serves to sustain the poor rather than help em move up. Are social programs gonna help those who need to get their financial priorities straight and perhaps save money instead of buying a satellite or a big screen TV? Social programs are designed to sustain people not elevate em, and I think most of this should go towards the mentally ill or those who are functionally impaired in some way.

Being "poor" or what i would refer to as a class position is an accident of birth. So yes i'd rather redistribute wealth than set up hurdles for people to overcome so they can be seen as "deserving" of the wealth that they are entitled to in the first place. Your opinion that the reason that people are poor is because "they don't have their priorities straight" is abject nonsense. Some f***ing p**** rich boy might not have his priorities straight but he is not punished harshly in life for it as he has his fathers wealth to fall back on. It's a question of wealth and money, pure and simple.

The right always falls back on the demonstrably false Just World Hypothesis. It's a convenient rationalization mechanism allowing them to place undue blame on the underdog.

http://www.scu.edu/ethics/publications/iie/v3n2/justworld.html

The fact that so many people fall for it just shows that few people have true empathy.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 4:12 pm

jamieboy wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
jamieboy wrote:

Being "poor" or what i would refer to as a class position is an accident of birth. So yes i'd rather redistribute wealth than set up hurdles for people to overcome so they can be seen as "deserving" of the wealth that they are entitled to in the first place. Your opinion that the reason that people are poor is because "they don't have their priorities straight" is abject nonsense. Some f***ing p**** rich boy might not have his priorities straight but he is not punished harshly in life for it as he has his fathers wealth to fall back on. It's a question of wealth and money, pure and simple.
Read my post again, I didn't say all poor people don't have their financial priorities straight. I said social programs don't help those that don't. Not having your priorities straight will keep you poor, it isn't the reason you're poor in the first place. And no one should be entitled to money at the expense of someone else's hard work. The exception to this is a safety net which is for the worst of the worst off.

It's a question of poverty, and there is no simple answer. The fact that you're trying to simplify such a complex problem is plain ignorant. Throwing money at em is a knee jerk reaction that doesn't solve anything. It will not teach em fiscal responsibility, self-reliance, or any type of skill pertaining to the workplace. But anyways since we're on the topic of social programs what type of social programs do you support the most for em?

@marshall: Do you know what the culture of poverty is? Cuz I know what the just world fallacy is and there's a difference between rationalization motivated by a knee jerk reaction and drawing a clear cause and effect through analysis.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 4:35 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
jamieboy wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
jamieboy wrote:

Read my post again, I didn't say all poor people don't have their financial priorities straight. I said social programs don't help those that don't. Not having your priorities straight will keep you poor, it isn't the reason you're poor in the first place. And no one should be entitled to money at the expense of someone else's hard work. The exception to this is a safety net which is for the worst of the worst off.

It's a question of poverty, and there is no simple answer. The fact that you're trying to simplify such a complex problem is plain ignorant. Throwing money at em is a knee jerk reaction that doesn't solve anything. It will not teach em fiscal responsibility, self-reliance, or any type of skill pertaining to the workplace. But anyways since we're on the topic of social programs what type of social programs do you support the most for em?

@marshall: Do you know what the culture of poverty is? Cuz I know what the just world fallacy is and there's a difference between rationalization motivated by a knee jerk reaction and drawing a clear cause and effect through analysis.

Throwing money at the problem of poverty solves a lot as it is a sure fire and direct way of making people less poverty stricken. Why do you want only want morality codas attached to public policy when it affects the most destitute? How about having morality codas attached to policies that effect the rich? "You must pay a decent share of tax in order to solve the deficit crisis otherwise we will have to gut services for the most poorest. " That would be a good morality coda to frame our rich polices. It might even teach them fiscal responsibility.

Services i support that directly affect poor people:

Universal healthcare
Welfare (both for those who are incapacitated and those who are unable to find work due to structural unemployment)
Public Libraries
Police
Properly funded public education

On top of that and most importantly. I'd legalize and regulate drugs to put dealers out of business and rescue addicts from a life spent in jail.

Basically as many services as i could fund with my new social democratic priorities as leader.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 4:42 pm

marshall wrote:
jamieboy wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
jamieboy wrote:

The right always falls back on the demonstrably false Just World Hypothesis. It's a convenient rationalization mechanism allowing them to place undue blame on the underdog.

http://www.scu.edu/ethics/publications/iie/v3n2/justworld.html

The fact that so many people fall for it just shows that few people have true empathy.

That appears to be scarily accurate. People believe in a natural meritocracy despite all evidence to the contrary. You just have to keep hoping that politics will soon take a turn to the left again after the last thirty years of rightward drift.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 6:41 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
jamieboy wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
jamieboy wrote:

Again. More Just World Fallacy BS. The people who work the hardest don't necessary end up being the winners. Accumulated wealth is not necessarily earned wealth. People with obsticles might have to work 10 times harder with 90% less reward than those without obsticles. They also might have to suffer 100 times more just trying to survive.

Quote:

And the conservative knee-jerk reaction is to take away opportunities. You really believe you will make people work harder by making their prospects even more grim?

Quote:

Where is your careful analysis? Also, you must show that this "culture of poverty" applies to every single person who lives in poverty. That no responsible person ever remains in poverty. Anything less just proves you are making a rationalization for injustice in the case of those responsible people who are in poverty through no fault of their own.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 9:09 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Orwell wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Orwell wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
But generally the 8.5% unemployment rate in Finland as of 2010 compared to the 8.9% in the US as of 2011 tells me something is awfully BS about big welfare states.

America really is not a welfare state, certainly not compared to any other Western nation.
And that's my point. Finland is a ridiculously huge welfare state, yet its unemployment rate is only a little better than the US.

I don't see how that bolsters your point about the ills of welfare states. If the poster boy of welfare states is doing as well as or slightly better than the poster boy of laissez-faire capitalism on unemployment, that would seem to be an argument in favor of Finland's system.
How is that an argument in favour of welfare states? The whole point of a welfare state is to have everything provided to you so if their unemployment rate is almost the same then it hasn't helped much in that regard. Also the Danish economy is being threatened by the miniscule influx of immigrants they have which is even less than South Korea so this is one of the things that build a strong case towards the fact that welfare states are unstable. There are countries with freer economies than the states but I chose it cuz it tends to often be a target of demonization.

No, a welfare state doesn't have to have a guarantee of full employment. A welfare state does do a better job of providing for the material needs of the poor (the unemployed in Finland are probably not starving, and they can go see a physician when they need medical care), and according to your numbers, the welfare state's economy is performing basically on par with a more heavily capitalistic economy. The main objection that is often leveled against the welfare state is that it diminishes economic efficiency, but if their unemployment problems are no worse than ours, there doesn't seem to be much evidence for that claim.

Quote:
It is true that 90% of the enterprises in the states are controlled by families, but the percentage is 80% in Germany so it doesn't reflect a flaw in the system. The value of connections are inherent in any dynamic dealing with social beings.

Point is, America is not a meritocracy. Some people do not get the opportunities others have. Some people have wealth and power handed to them on a silver platter, others never have a chance.

Quote:
It still stands though that social mobility isn't extremely static or erratic.

OK? I've never claimed it was. However, significant barriers to class mobility do exist, and in the meantime the gap between the classes is growing wider so that people who (for whatever reason) do not cross the barriers to rising in social class are getting relatively worse off.

Quote:
Orwell wrote:
Quote:
Huh? I didn't get any of that from the article. What I got was that it was debunking the underlying assumption of low social mobility.

My point is, it went about "debunking" that assumption in an extremely dishonest manner.
I'll have to take a much closer look at it.

Basically, it was trying to reject the notion of class as even applying to American society.

Quote:
So it's probably somewhere between those two extremes, but resourcefulness, effort, and practical intelligence are still major factors.

Sure. But the existence of barriers to moving between social classes is still a problem. There is a certain minimum level of equal opportunity needed before resourcefulness, effort, and intelligence become useful.

Quote:
No I don't want instant solutions, I just wanted you to elaborate on it. By solutions I don't mean like a magic pill, but more like something that addresses the issues that go deeper than the tip of the iceberg and has some sort of effect in the long run.

I still think education is extremely important. It is, at least, one necessary component of a larger program. You have emphasized the problem of the culture of poverty and the values endemic to the ghetto; having grown up in a relatively privileged environment I will take your word for it. Perhaps one goal of improved education will be to inculcate values more conducive to making one's way in life.

Quote:
True but the majority of the poor aren't living in a one room shack or sh*****g in mud so it is still somewhat indicative.

Not necessarily. If you visit some rural parts of the country, the homes there are relatively large (compared to what anyone in a major city like London would live in) but they are basically run-down shacks. My small 2-bedroom apartment that I share with a classmate provides a much more comfortable life than many of the larger houses you would see in rural America. The only reason the rural poor in America have a lot of living space is because property values are basically nil where they live.

Quote:
which only serves to sustain the poor rather than help em move up.

Debates can be had over the long-term efficacy of giving a fish or teaching to fish. But today, people are hungry, and they would really like that fish. If you don't give them the fish today, they might not be able to live until they have mastered fishing.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 9:53 pm

Ah, scruples question! I love these!

I've got another one: What if the tea partiers seized power via Diebold, ban technology invented later than 1789, re-institute star chamber court, test both of the coasts for witchcraft (which if you're accused you drown if your innocent, burn at the stake if you aren't), light Joy Behar's arse on fire just to watch her run around the stage while making Michael Moore wear a giant banana suit BUT - they offer not only full employment but free copies of the next Phil Collins cd to be released. Wud ya vote for em?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 10:02 pm

No way I hate Phil Collins!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 10:03 pm

Ok...what if they stacked on Jesus-signed bibles? :lol:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 10:20 pm

Okay, that is pretty swell. Perhaps including some of Rev. Peter Popoff's miracle springwater will seal the deal for me

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 5:12 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Would you elect a fascist government in return for a guarantee of full employment? Let's say in the United States, this would mean the Tea Party wing of the Republican Party pushing out those who are not ideologically pure enough from their party; from there, they legislate a crime of liberalism, removing the bulk of the Democratic opposition and some Republicans resisting the new order; a powerless Blue Dog Democratic rump remains in Congress. Command-in-Chief Glenn Beck (he prefers that title over President) vows to rid the land of Muslims, illegals, gays, and atheists. Paramilitary neighborhood watch groups/shock troops enforce fascist order by destroying stores operated by Muslims, Hispanics, gay people, and non–Judeo-Christians. "Bureaucratic red tape" like laws against discrimination, safety and consumer-protection laws, and environmental-protection laws are repealed; taxes are lowered; and now that the government is sufficiently right-wing for their tastes, the corporations begin hiring again, allowing the guarantee of full employment to materialize (the Chamber of Commerce backed the fascist coup, after all). People are obligated to register with a local church and a local chapter of the Tea Party and participate in its rallies and education on the Constitution.

Would this hypothetical scenario be worth it in exchange for full employment?

The masses generally just go with the flow. Look at the USA. In the 1940s and 50s it was a self-consciously White, Christian country, and the masses (I think it's fair to assume) were content with that. A minority of political, media and academic elites set about transforming the country, and two generations later the American masses are proudly proclaiming their commitment to diversity, multiculturalism and all the rest of it. And if the elites changed direction, and if it were possible without too much disruption to prosperity and comfort to recreate the character and social mores of 1950s America within two generations in some region of the United States, then the masses who found themselves living in such a region two generations from now would probably just take it in their stride.

By the same token, it's quite likely that the modern masses could be induced to buy into fascism within two generations. I'm sure they could be persuaded to give up the charade of voting in exchange for increased economic security. Compulsory military service might prove a harder sell to a society that has not known it for years, but only just.

Of course, most people prefer to think of themselves as principled actors rather than products of their era.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 9:02 pm

codarac wrote:

By the same token, it's quite likely that the modern masses could be induced to buy into fascism within two generations. I'm sure they could be persuaded to give up the charade of voting in exchange for increased economic security. Compulsory military service might prove a harder sell to a society that has not known it for years, but only just.

Of course, most people prefer to think of themselves as principled actors rather than products of their era.

Fascism never produced economic security. It is a variant of the Command Economy that is bound to be less productive than a more capitalist economy. So all those people will have guaranteed jobs with very little to buy. It happened in Stalinist Russia which was Red Fascism at work. Everyone had a job and then they stood in line for the few and shoddy goods available.

ruveyn

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 5:56 am

ruveyn wrote:

Fascism never produced economic security. It is a variant of the Command Economy that is bound to be less productive than a more capitalist economy. So all those people will have guaranteed jobs with very little to buy. It happened in Stalinist Russia which was Red Fascism at work. Everyone had a job and then they stood in line for the few and shoddy goods available.

ruveyn

I don't buy this simplistic propaganda. National Socialist Germany in its six years of peace was one of the economic success stories of the 20th century. In the 21st century the closest to a fascist economy we have is probably Japan. As far as I can see, fascism allows and encourages free enterprise as long as it does not harm the long term interests of the national community. Providing some degree of free enterprise is allowed, then a healthy national community with a sense of purpose is likely going to be more economically productive than an atomised mass of individualists, large numbers of whom dream of being pop stars, sports stars and/or lottery winners.

By contrast, to the extreme neoliberal capitalist, the health of national communities is of no importance, since national communities are simply a barrier to the globalisation of power and to turning the whole world into one big dumbed-down marketplace.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 9:13 am

codarac wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

I don't buy this simplistic propaganda. National Socialist Germany in its six years of peace was one of the economic success stories of the 20th century. In the 21st century the closest to a fascist economy we have is probably Japan. As far as I can see, fascism allows and encourages free enterprise as long as it does not harm the long term interests of the national community. Providing some degree of free enterprise is allowed, then a healthy national community with a sense of purpose is likely going to be more economically productive than an atomised mass of individualists, large numbers of whom dream of being pop stars, sports stars and/or lottery winners.

By contrast, to the extreme neoliberal capitalist, the health of national communities is of no importance, since national communities are simply a barrier to the globalisation of power and to turning the whole world into one big dumbed-down marketplace.

Fascist storm economy topic

Yeah, nazism loaded their coffers and war chests on the backs of their Jewish citizenry, and continued to plunder even their gold teeth and corpses in the extermination economy of the death camps.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 9:18 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
I'd have to say "No". Full employment isn't that valuable. Now, let's just say that WW3 is devastating the earth. There is a bunker, but it is full of fascists, would you join them if it meant survival, and, as much as it would violate my principles, I might agree to join them.

Room in the bunker topic

Like the 400 seats in paradise awaiting the faithful Mormons, or the 700 or so virgins awaiting (male?) homicidal terrorists! Not quite a parallel. :P

I can see AG huddling with the vermin and mud spattered fascist fools, and plotting a takeover. :twisted: :lol:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo