Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 2:40 am

So, about a month or so ago I guess, the superhero MMO Champions Online went to what I think is the best free-to-play (F2P) format yet. You can play with absolutely no investment of money; that's a Silver account level. With Silver accounts, you're restricted to having two character slots to start with, only one bag slot per character, one slot per character for costumes, and you have to use one of the archetype characters rather than designing your own. (I splurged and spent $62.50 US on 5000 Atari tokens; I bought a couple extra character slots, the Inventor archetype, and some different costume parts and travel powers. Kind of wish I could trade in Ice Flight for the tokens and spend them on something else now, but hey...)

For $14.95/mo US, you can have a Gold account, which gives you eight character slots, all the bag slots, all the travel powers, two costumes per character, and the two downloadable adventure packs (Demonflame, dealing with the villain group DEMON, and Serpent Lantern, which has to do with VIPER). You can also use the Champions rules to design a character from scratch; these "freeform" characters are generally more powerful than an equal-level archetype (AT), but unless you're really interested in the PvP aspect, that doesn't matter so much.

Since everyone is a superhero, PvP only happens if you agree to a duel, or if you join in the Hero Games, a gladiatorial TV series in that universe. There are apparently some gains from it, but the game isn't oriented toward that.

If you decide to give it a try (come on! It's fun!) and run into Meteor, HandyMan, Flamewing, or Wetware, say hi! :)

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 5:20 am

it actually went free 2-3 months ago XD

I have a character but no time to play due to work/life. When I have time maybe ill put my character name up on here.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/