Accidentally cruel, what would you have done?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Josieposie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2011, 9:06 am

I have just been rather unpleasant to someone who wanted to go out with me. I find him powerfully annoying. I tried all the polite ways of saying that I did not want him to keep on texting me. I never agreed to meet him after our first very casual walk date hybrid and told him I had a boyfriend. I suppose the reason why I have never been kissed at 22 is maybe that I am too easily annoyed but he told me how to cross the road and not to go near the river, (which I swim in when it is not in sedge), else I might drown and then he wanted to go running with me the next day and I said no because I only run alone and besides I was busy. He would not take “no” for an answer which is an ominous sign in most boys. After that I just ignored his texts, but he kept on phoning. So I sent him a message saying never to get in touch with me again, that I did not want to be his friend and he should find someone to reciprocate his feelings. He is Chinese so maybe there is a culture difference in action here. I just wish that this could have gone more smoothly and that he had understood that I was refusing him sooner. I feel like I have been cruel. He just had such thick skin it turned out to be the only way to get rid of him. What would you have done, what have you doen in the past? How could I handle this kind of situation efficiently in the future? What happens if he does not even understand this, he is a hopeless optimist?

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 10:55 am

It was unavoidable -- some guys won't take no for an answer. It sucks that he wouldn't take the hint, but we live in this culture where we propagate the myth that "persistence will win her over" -- unfortunately not true in most cases. Both of you are victims here -- If he persists, file a restraining order (after telling him your intentions).

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 11:31 am

If you have been polite, but firm and clear, I'm not sure how you could have handled it better. I would just make sure you are as clear as possible in any situations like this in the future, otherwise it may come across as if you are being coy.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:09 pm

Sometimes you have to be that honest. Looks like he couldn't pick up you were rejecting him so you had to be blunt.

Josieposie

29 Mar 2011, 1:22 pm

Thanks for replying. That you think that my options were limited does make me feel better. I recieved a message from him asking what he had done wrong and why I said that his behaviour was funny to me. Being very much NT(other then his inability to percieve refusal) not sure he will take this well, but as he asked. He promised he will leave me alone after I answer, it seems reasonable enough.
I hope there is nothing in this that could make him believe I want him to keep on pursuing me. :?

My reply
You were overly persistent. I had made it clear that I was not interested and was taken. In social interaction the normal protocol is to tell a girl you are attracted to her before she tells you she has a boyfriend not after. It came across as emotional bullying, not that this was your intention, and that made it funny. Also you used no linguistic subtlety, though obviously you have a good excuse for this! I am not saying that it is your fault that you failed to pick up on the fact that I did not text you back frequently and was often blunt, but it is these subtitles that dominate social interaction. You could try reading about social rules online. I am not judging you; it could help you know how to approach these situations in the future.

Ok so I have missed out that he behaved like a creepy a***hole, but what good could it have done to tell him that....

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:37 pm

That seems very fair. Are you sure he is NT? I mean yes, guys do stupid stuff like that (especially when we are smitten), but this seems to be a bit dense for a NT.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:55 pm

I would have been very agressive after it became clear that he wasn't taking no for an answer and so you were a lot kinder than I would have been. Although, I've said no quite clearly to some guys and they kept on trying and trying until I used physical force.

Cultural differences doesn't explain why he persisted despite the fact you told him you weren't available or interested (unless he doesn't understand the language at all). No means no. Do you have a diary because it may be a good idea to have a record of this (I may be being over catious but that's me).

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 3:10 pm

I'd red flag such persistent behavior..its almost like stalking/harrasment.

I'd say be absolutely clear with him. Short and and to the point.

If that doesn't work then I'm sure that telling him directly that if he does not stop you will get a restraining order from the police will do the trick.

Josieposie

29 Mar 2011, 6:09 pm

It did not go down well; I think I am officially rid of the twot head. So that’s a bonus. Unless he decides to murder me. That would frankly be a downer.

the message back-Thanks though im disagree, and you had misunderstood my action, but explanation is unnecessary now. Ta ta

Has he never heard of a grammar check?
Oh what jolly larks.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 8:49 pm

Josieposie wrote:
It did not go down well; I think I am officially rid of the twot head. So that’s a bonus. Unless he decides to murder me. That would frankly be a downer.

the message back-Thanks though im disagree, and you had misunderstood my action, but explanation is unnecessary now. Ta ta

Has he never heard of a grammar check?
Oh what jolly larks.

Is English not his first language? You did say he was Chinese so maybe it's his second language.

That was the worst grammar I have ever seen written and it was hard to understand and it didn't make sense.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 2:33 am

Josieposie, I agree with what the others have said but if you are 22 and never been kissed then I would have to wonder what sort of guy does NOT annoy you?

Josieposie

30 Mar 2011, 2:50 am

I am cute(ish) and athletic so I have plenty of guys showing an initial interest in me, when I spot it, but I get something wrong and they go. The ones that stick around are generally jerks who want to take advantage of my initial appearance of naivety. I want someone kind; I am not going to kiss a jerk just because I have never been kissed. Hopefully when someone who can get through the initial shock of my differences does come along they will appreciate that.
There are a lot of guys who do not annoy me but they never stay interested.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 3:23 am

Josieposie wrote:
I am cute(ish) and athletic so I have plenty of guys showing an initial interest in me, when I spot it, but I get something wrong and they go. The ones that stick around are generally jerks who want to take advantage of my initial appearance of naivety. I want someone kind; I am not going to kiss a jerk just because I have never been kissed. Hopefully when someone who can get through the initial shock of my differences does come along they will appreciate that.

Girl, you have built a wall that no man can cross.
You must look carefully at your own expectations if you ever hope to get a boyfriend. So far your batting average is 0.

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 4:16 am

Wombat wrote:
Josieposie wrote:

Girl, you have built a wall that no man can cross.
You must look carefully at your own expectations if you ever hope to get a boyfriend. So far your batting average is 0.

What wall? All she said is that she wants someone kind, which is fair enough.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 4:33 am

If she's not interested in a guy she has every right to say no, she doesn't have to say yes to a jerk just because she hasn't had a relationship yet. Everyone (man or woman) has the right to decide who they're with.

Daemonic-Jackal
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 5:21 am

Josieposie wrote:
I have just been rather unpleasant to someone who wanted to go out with me. I find him powerfully annoying. I tried all the polite ways of saying that I did not want him to keep on texting me. I never agreed to meet him after our first very casual walk date hybrid and told him I had a boyfriend. I suppose the reason why I have never been kissed at 22 is maybe that I am too easily annoyed but he told me how to cross the road and not to go near the river, (which I swim in when it is not in sedge), else I might drown and then he wanted to go running with me the next day and I said no because I only run alone and besides I was busy. He would not take “no” for an answer which is an ominous sign in most boys. After that I just ignored his texts, but he kept on phoning. So I sent him a message saying never to get in touch with me again, that I did not want to be his friend and he should find someone to reciprocate his feelings. He is Chinese so maybe there is a culture difference in action here. I just wish that this could have gone more smoothly and that he had understood that I was refusing him sooner. I feel like I have been cruel. He just had such thick skin it turned out to be the only way to get rid of him. What would you have done, what have you doen in the past? How could I handle this kind of situation efficiently in the future? What happens if he does not even understand this, he is a hopeless optimist?

I don't see what you've done wrong here apart from possibly this........

Josieposie wrote:
I never agreed to meet him after our first very casual walk date hybrid and told him I had a boyfriend.

Josieposie wrote:
I have never been kissed at 22

Now if this guy who you are referring to here knows that then he might have thought you was either lying or just playing hard to get. Saying you have a boyfriend when infact you don't (if that was the case here) will not do yourself any favours.

If someone was interested in me and I didn't feel the same way, I wouldn't claim to be spoken for unless it was actually true, otherwise that's just asking for trouble.

Not saying the guy didn't overstep the mark here and should have picked up on the rejection hints you were giving him, he should have done, but it also sounds as if you have inadvertently mislead him at the same time.

http://www.facebook.com/YentonianCarlos

Last edited by Daemonic-Jackal on 30 Mar 2011, 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.