Signs of an unhealthy relationship

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 5:35 pm

It is the nature of the beast we just tend to have troubles with relationships...I am ever doing the wrong thing..not knowing what I am doing wrong...I feel like a curr for venting about my boyfriend...as he is "not doing anything wrong".....I am just blowing "nothing" out of proportion..I am ever hurt by "nothing"...Have been a flat weepy mess over "nothing"...and I cannot drag my poor hardworking sweetie through the mud over the fact that I am obviously insane.... :roll:

This is the reason I was under the delusion that I was suffering from "Cassandra Syndrome"...and maybe I am..but it is not his fault...

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 3:46 am

Hey, you only told us he's playing computer games a lot......Aspies aren't likely to look down on him for that. He sounds like one of us. 8) It's not like you're blaming him - you've owned your feelings about the situation, even to the point of running yourself down for having them. Sounds like a pretty mature response to me, apart from the low self-esteem.

Why are you beating yourself up for experiencing pain and sharing it? Mind you I know how you feel. I can't even tell anybody that my partner's left me without feeling I've somehow betrayed her. But I think it'll be worse for both of us if I don't. If I don't share my bad feelings, they just seem to rattle around and get worse. And your feelings aren't nothing. Quite the reverse I imagine.

Hmmm......I've been wondering how much of your problem is down to missing him and how much is down to the sheer isolation. Though it'd be hard to unpick those 2 strands. I know it can feel pretty weird if I've had some real closeness and then suddenly there's nothing for days, almost as if I'd be better off alone all the time. :? I'm doing a lot of guessing here, but if you've been lonely for much of your life, you're probably going to have some very clingy feelings to deal with when somebody does give you the love you need. I didn't know that when I found my first serious partner, and I couldn't understand what was happening to me - being an angry young man, I just blamed her for the whole problem and expected 24/7 attention "because that's what love is."

It seems like it would be good if he could be persuaded to temper his special interests and be there for you a little more......not that I'm blaming him, I mean I guess he's always been that way, and breaking an obsession isn't at all easy. I guess if there can't be any progress in that direction, your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to find more friends to keep you company during your long isolation. Meanwhile I hope we can help hold you together through this rough patch. It probably feels worse on the inside of you........judging by what you're saying here, alexithymia or not, it seems to me that you've defined your emotional problem pretty well, even if it seems to you that your whole mind is in total chaos with the jigsaw pieces all over the place.

As for the negativity on the thread, I seem to have a negative mind, but I always see myself as a fixer, and I probably need the negative view laid out in front of me so that the healing can start......if I blind myself to the bad, I'll never make it better. Strangely, I seem able to cope with tons of sorrowful ideas without getting depressed, it seems to be cathartic to get those ideas out into the open where they can be dealt with.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 7:59 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Hey, you only told us he's playing computer games a lot......Aspies aren't likely to look down on him for that. He sounds like one of us. 8) It's not like you're blaming him - you've owned your feelings about the situation, even to the point of running yourself down for having them. Sounds like a pretty mature response to me, apart from the low self-esteem.
Yep..he is def. "one of us"....he is more of a "classic aspie" than I am (I'd be more PDD-NOS..but have been assessed as having aspergers, though females present differently)...complete with rocking...sensory issues....great big gigantic head....etc..... but he had intervention when he was young...various kinds of developmental therapy and whatnot in school and such..and a more rigid and conservative upbringing so he is able to "pass for normal" among his IT crowd especially...He is somewhat in denial of it...It took me a while to realize it myself...he does not like the stigmas attached to it....and so on...he does not want to be viewed as "one of those"...I did not realize he had been run through the mill by his ex for being an aspie..to the extent that she insisted he go on meds and all this other stuff....and a big factor was the "aspiness"...and the the fact that he needed to "fix" it that caused a large rift in their relationship...

Why are you beating yourself up for experiencing pain and sharing it? Mind you I know how you feel. I can't even tell anybody that my partner's left me without feeling I've somehow betrayed her. But I think it'll be worse for both of us if I don't. If I don't share my bad feelings, they just seem to rattle around and get worse. And your feelings aren't nothing. Quite the reverse I imagine.

I feel as though I am overdisclosing. I am talking publicly about a person behind their back...I think it is a passive aggressive thing for me to do..but I have tried to do it in writing to him and it was a disaster...I tried doing it verbally and it was a double disaster...he goes completely nonverbal when confronted with problems...similarly, he would simply ignore issues altogether when presented to him in writing and continued to do so until I placed it into the context of the prospects of our breaking up...and also the song I wronte for him (on another thread..where I posted the song about Cassandra Syndrome)....He freaked out and panicked and went catatonic and I had to placate him and tell him that everything was going to be alright....and things went more-or-less back to the same old tempest in a teapot...This is what happened in his previous relationship...I heard her side of the story...we had been gradually communicating with each other and it reached a point where I kinda felt the need to break down and talk about some issues I was having with her, cause she had lived with him and such..and I did so at a point where I was at my wit's end...

Hmmm......I've been wondering how much of your problem is down to missing him and how much is down to the sheer isolation. Though it'd be hard to unpick those 2 strands. I know it can feel pretty weird if I've had some real closeness and then suddenly there's nothing for days, almost as if I'd be better off alone all the time. :? I'm doing a lot of guessing here, but if you've been lonely for much of your life, you're probably going to have some very clingy feelings to deal with when somebody does give you the love you need. I didn't know that when I found my first serious partner, and I couldn't understand what was happening to me - being an angry young man, I just blamed her for the whole problem and expected 24/7 attention "because that's what love is."

It is a combination of the two...the missing him and the isolation...I have had a breakthrough where I am able to allow myself to become less isolated...there are a lot of tangled threads....I don't want to launch into a diatribe about the specifics...some of it was missing him and what I perceived to be physical/emotional aloofness..when we were together...that tended to make the time about more difficult...when we were apart....I fretted a lot about his feelings for me...I felt inferior to him...and so on...I took his frequent lack of desire for "intimacy" somewhat personally, rather than empathize that he has sensory issues that make it unpleasant....Whereas I am the opposite...it is something I need in order to relax and feel comfortable and the lack of it has me wound up in knots....I became an obsessive back massager partially out of the need of physical contact and also his back is perpetually knotted up from all the computer work...and as a mean of relaxing myself...I can be so wound up that it became a major stim....which he generally enjoys exept I could rub his back till it was sore...he does not mind "that" physical contact...just kissing...and other stuff...I don't need a LOT of kissing...just some gestures to make me feel secure in the notion that he has feelings for me even though we are not around each other a lot.....BUT the general isolation......I went through a dark tunnel of instability.....I reached a point where there was virtually NOBoDY who's presence I could tolerate.......and I had lost my best friend (ex)......and I was feeling profoundly lonely from that and had hopes my new relationship would fill the void....for a while our correspondence helped fill the void of distance between our visits...but that tapered off as his responses to my diatribes became more and more brief...and the loneliness seeped in harder and harder....and I stopped writing to him...He's stopped writing to me...I mean...now we just IM....but the conversation is more shallow...

It seems like it would be good if he could be persuaded to temper his special interests and be there for you a little more......not that I'm blaming him, I mean I guess he's always been that way, and breaking an obsession isn't at all easy. I guess if there can't be any progress in that direction, your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to find more friends to keep you company during your long isolation. Meanwhile I hope we can help hold you together through this rough patch. It probably feels worse on the inside of you........judging by what you're saying here, alexithymia or not, it seems to me that you've defined your emotional problem pretty well, even if it seems to you that your whole mind is in total chaos with the jigsaw pieces all over the place.

I still feel like I am upset over nothing and that I have gone through this long dark tunnel of sad and loneliness "for no reason"...as he would see it....

As for the negativity on the thread, I seem to have a negative mind, but I always see myself as a fixer, and I probably need the negative view laid out in front of me so that the healing can start......if I blind myself to the bad, I'll never make it better. Strangely, I seem able to cope with tons of sorrowful ideas without getting depressed, it seems to be cathartic to get those ideas out into the open where they can be dealt with.

I want to "fix" things too when I can....It can get to be very hard when things seem to be one-sided....or my point-of-view seems null...invalid...from the point of view of the other party..which is how I was sorta made to feel when I broke down and tried communicating with him about it

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 5:58 am

Quote:
He is somewhat in denial of it...

Understandable....I'm still quite coy about divulging my DX, though once somebody knows, I'm comfy with discussing it as long as they don't look skeptical. My legacy is that my partner left a few days after I was diagnosed. Given the vagueness and implausibility of the reasons she gave for going, it's hard for me to feel that there was no link between AS and abandonment.

Quote:
I feel as though I am overdisclosing. I am talking publicly about a person behind their back...I think it is a passive aggressive thing for me to do..

Yes it's not perfect. But I'm hoping that the good will outweigh any harm.

Quote:
what I perceived to be physical/emotional aloofness..when we were together...that tended to make the time about more difficult...when we were apart....I fretted a lot about his feelings for me...I felt inferior to him...and so on...I took his frequent lack of desire for "intimacy" somewhat personally, rather than empathize that he has sensory issues that make it unpleasant....

My partner also felt something like that with me, and I'd feel guilty on top of feeling unable to connect. It seemed to make my Apsie symptoms worse, and I'd always try to trudge on regardless....I got very funny about being touched, I never rejected it but I think my body language gave me away. She had a lot of ideas about what we should do (sexually and otherwise), and I felt totally swamped....mostly her idea of sharing seemed to be to do her own thing with me "in tow" somehow, so it probably wasn't surprising that I found myself unable to do much but turn in on myself. And then I'd hate myself for being so inadequate.

Quote:
I became an obsessive back massager partially out of the need of physical contact and also his back is perpetually knotted up from all the computer work..
Ingenious!

Quote:
BUT the general isolation......I went through a dark tunnel of instability.....I reached a point where there was virtually NOBoDY who's presence I could tolerate.......

That must have been weird. I think at my lowest, when there was hardly anybody in my life at all, my social confidence was so low that any social contact scared me, I'd feel a tremendous urge to get away from them, because I was always convinced I was going to make a big mistake. It was crazy, I knew I needed people but I couldn't take one step towards mutual nurturance because all I could see was the risk of screwing up and losing them. I just couldn't relax with people at all.

Quote:
and I had lost my best friend (ex)......and I was feeling profoundly lonely from that and had hopes my new relationship would fill the void....for a while our correspondence helped fill the void of distance between our visits...but that tapered off as his responses to my diatribes became more and more brief...and the loneliness seeped in harder and harder....and I stopped writing to him...He's stopped writing to me...I mean...now we just IM....but the conversation is more shallow..
I have a hard time watching my closeness with people gradually slip through my fingers like that. I used to overwhelm people with words, I think.......

Quote:
I still feel like I am upset over nothing and that I have gone through this long dark tunnel of sad and loneliness "for no reason"...as he would see it....

For no reason he could see, perhaps. But I find it hard to imagine a strong human feeling that didn't have a reason behind it. Needless, maybe, but unless we know the reasons behind suffering, how can we tell?
Do you get a panicky, "timeless" feeling sometimes, when you're alone, as if it's ALWAYS going to be that way? When it's bad with me, I'm practically in the coffin at Scrooge's funeral.

Quote:
I want to "fix" things too when I can....It can get to be very hard when things seem to be one-sided....or my point-of-view seems null...invalid...from the point of view of the other party..which is how I was sorta made to feel when I broke down and tried communicating with him about it

It's only in the past year or so that I've begun to learn not to invalidate people's emotional reality. My parents did little else but invalidate each other, so I guess it took me a long time to see it for what it was......seems to be a matter of having blind faith to believe that the other person is really being straight (that's the hard part because they aren't always), and developing a kind of reverence for the way they feel.......so these days I tend to think that no matter how weird, irrational or awkward a feeling is, it's still perfectly valid. It can be very hard to hold onto your own perspective if the only one you share it with won't see it as real. It's like seeing a ghost that nobody else has seen, which I guess would be pretty close to the Cassandra syndrome.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 6:34 am

yeah..pretty close to Cassandra Syndrome...and yes I get a very timeless feeling....I feel as though all of time lately has been a long hazy blur....I have a very bad concept of time...passage of time happens in a very abstract way, partially because my life is so weirdly structured....sometimes it feels like the isolation is infinite and the time spent with him is like a separate reality..

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 4:42 am

I'm told that it helps the timeless feeling if I keep telling myself that the bad feeling won't last forever - and I must confess it's true that it's never done that yet. All things must pass.........

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 1:32 am

i had a good day...he seduced me into being addicted to a facebook game that was quite Literally Mind-numbing....I spent several hours on it...it was wicked......I understand where he coming from absolutely.....I feel rather numbed to emotion in general....i don't know whether it is good or bad....

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 4:41 am

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em :D