Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

dkittens
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2011, 8:08 pm

PinkFeelingBlue wrote:
Deep breath, in through the nose out through the mouth. The next few days are going to be hell, keep it out of your mind by busying yourself with a special interest or whatever you do to kill time. Calming scents, soothing sounds like gentle rain, you have to be as zen as possible.

And I can't stress this enough, don't play it out in your mind and get a set idea of how the interaction will play out. It will work itself out, what will be will be.

I wish you all the luck in the world. :)

I will try that. I have hard times though going to sleep because I am playing out what might happen. It's going to work out great, your right.

seaside
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2011, 10:36 pm

Hi! You are smart-- you have learned a lot on your own.
Can you look up if there's a health expert or special ed type at your school, or the guidance counselor, or a local AS resource to call to ask? You might start with the positives (AS gifts) to list when speaking to parents. But if a trained teacher can notice traits you have, that can make a big difference. It must be hard to have something like that not validated by those close to you. From what you describe yes, some further inquiry or testing would be a good idea as you could get useful help earlier. Maybe something like the Luke Jackson book or Can I Tell You About Asperger's? and other simpler ones to start with may be less intimidating for your family. Anyhow good luck, and thansk for posting here... we support you.

As an afternote-- I am 'grown up' and wish my family and teachers and I had known about AS when I was your age. I hope you can take advantage of being born 13 years ago and what resources we now have available!

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2011, 3:14 pm

Hi! I don't know how this went or what you ended up doing, but I'm a 14 year old and I have Asperger's too. My parents sort of know, but i think they just think i have some aspie traits. I actually just posted about trying to tell them i really have the disorder, so please post or pm me! I would love to get the perspective of someone who has approached his parents about this.

P.S. I used to live in Florida! I lived in Jupiter in West Palm Beach County. And yes, the town named Jupiter fits because of the AS, lol.

dkittens

27 Apr 2011, 3:53 pm

dancinonwater wrote:
Hi! I don't know how this went or what you ended up doing, but I'm a 14 year old and I have Asperger's too. My parents sort of know, but i think they just think i have some aspie traits. I actually just posted about trying to tell them i really have the disorder, so please post or pm me! I would love to get the perspective of someone who has approached his parents about this.

P.S. I used to live in Florida! I lived in Jupiter in West Palm Beach County. And yes, the town named Jupiter fits because of the AS, lol.

I never posted how it went, but I will now. I wrote up a letter explaining some of my traits, what it means, and it does not change me at all, it is just a label. This worked really well because my mom set up a appointment with someone to talk to me. She is still in the denial stage (and will be there for awhile) and still thinks I am just gifted. I am almost diagnosed with Asperger's, at PDD-NOS at the moment.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Not diagnosed - yet (In process)

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2011, 4:27 pm

dkittens wrote:
I never posted how it went, but I will now. I wrote up a letter explaining some of my traits, what it means, and it does not change me at all, it is just a label. This worked really well because my mom set up a appointment with someone to talk to me. She is still in the denial stage (and will be there for awhile) and still thinks I am just gifted. I am almost diagnosed with Asperger's, at PDD-NOS at the moment.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Thanks for your post! I have an appointment with my psychologist next week (my mom brought me to her when she suspected ADHD, which i am diagnosed with at the moment), and i think i'll talk about it with her there, especially because she might have a better idea of what my mom thinks about the idea of aspergers. Then i'll decide how i should talk to her, but i think the letter thing is a good idea! Well, i'm so glad that you are being diagnosed and all, as i think, atleast for me, it's really refreshing to have an explanation for everything. I can be a really great person, if you get to know me, so i just hope that i can be diagnosed and get help, and also be able to tell people something if i wish to about why i am a bit quirky. Anyway, thanks again, and good luck! I'm sure your mom will come around soon. A diagnosis of an ASD isn't the end fo the world, its the beginning of a whole new world!

dkittens

27 Apr 2011, 4:31 pm

Quote:
Thanks for your post! I have an appointment with my psychologist next week (my mom brought me to her when she suspected ADHD, which i am diagnosed with at the moment), and i think i'll talk about it with her there, especially because she might have a better idea of what my mom thinks about the idea of aspergers. Then i'll decide how i should talk to her, but i think the letter thing is a good idea! Well, i'm so glad that you are being diagnosed and all, as i think, atleast for me, it's really refreshing to have an explanation for everything. I can be a really great person, if you get to know me, so i just hope that i can be diagnosed and get help, and also be able to tell people something if i wish to about why i am a bit quirky. Anyway, thanks again, and good luck! I'm sure your mom will come around soon. A diagnosis of an ASD isn't the end fo the world, its the beginning of a whole new world!

The letter really worked for me, but you have to spend some time writing it. I agree that it isn't the end of the world and will actually help. I just wish my parents would get past the denial quicker!

Not diagnosed - yet (In process)