Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

30 Mar 2011, 3:27 pm

. . . someone was notified by police of the death of a loved one, and taken to see the body in hospital, but they then clung to the body and refused to let go and became hysterical when staff tried to take them away; would they be sedated and sectioned? If so, what would happen after that?

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 7:05 pm

Don't know/care.

patiz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2011, 7:51 pm

The police prefer to ask a close relative (brother/sister,uncle, aunt) to identify a body, not a loved one ie wife husband, son, daughter, to avoid this from happening, but sometimes it is unavoidable, counselors are on hand to help them deal with the situation, in many cases sedatives are used before the individual id's the body.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 10:00 pm

The person is sedated ahead of time. Has that happened to you or another family member? Are you afraid that it might happen? I do care and I'm willing to listen.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 11:35 pm

I'm afraid that I will do that when my mom passes away...

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2011, 6:29 am

Quote:
Don't know/care.

. . . Erm, don't answer then? Seems the obvious solution . . . :roll:

Quote:
The person is sedated ahead of time. Has that happened to you or another family member? Are you afraid that it might happen? I do care and I'm willing to listen.

Thankyou, CockneyRebel . . . it is partly something I worry about (I'm very neurotic about loved ones dying), and also the theme of something I'm writing, so I was asking for the sake of plausibility. I often find myself trying to write about a scenario and being hampered by my lack of knowledge about 'the real world' and how it works.

Quote:
The police prefer to ask a close relative (brother/sister,uncle, aunt) to identify a body, not a loved one ie wife husband, son, daughter, to avoid this from happening, but sometimes it is unavoidable, counselors are on hand to help them deal with the situation, in many cases sedatives are used before the individual id's the body.

Okay - that is useful information, thankyou.

xXx

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 6:43 am

Poppycocteau wrote:
Quote:
Don't know/care.

. . . Erm, don't answer then? Seems the obvious solution . . . :roll:

Nope, I was just bumping the thread for you because it seemed fairly far down the page with no responses.

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2011, 11:24 am

Ha, I had to look up what 'bumping' was and how it worked. Such a luddite :oops: . Sorry, I thought it was just a pointless comment.

Raaf
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Mar 2011, 11:28 pm

Sometimes a loved one just happens to be nearby when someone passes away i.e. at home or being both in a car accident.

I have an acquaintance who is being trained to come and help in the situation that the loved one doesn't want to let go of the deceased. I should say, he and his service dog. In another town they already are having and using this service in several situations where people just kept clinging unto the deceased person. When the service dog was brought in, the person was willing to let go by embracing the dog and letting the tears roll. It is all very heartbreaking and I hope I'll never experience such a traumatic experience.