Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Red_Wolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2006, 12:53 am

wow um....what a wild board.

As an aspie who was severely abused by said 'parents'...I'm not really sure what to suggest. I don't know the parent and I don't know the child, and everyone is different.

How about this..

This is what I appreciated from the few mentors that I had:

I really liked when people *listened* to me and didn't cut me off when I was trying to get out sentences. (sometimes it takes a while for me). When an adult was patient with me I tended to respond in kind.

I appreciated being respected not as a 'child' but as a person. When I was treated with respect I treated the adult with respect. maybe not at first, but eventually. I remember it taking a while for trust to build.

umm...it's probably good to have a set schedule filled both with work and scheduled fun activities. (I can't really speak from my own experience on this one, but I remember doing other childrens chores when I was at their house, don't ask me why, I just liked it)

A place to go is something I always really really wanted. A place that was MINE like a room. I used to hide in the bathroom....so I think, to me, a bedroom where I could set up camp would have been nice)

Umm the worst thing with me as a kid was how I would get angry with one person...say, a teacher...and then take it out on other people. (especially people I love) If your daughter is this way, just ignore them and let them blow off steam, and later they will likely apologize if you don't fight back. (in other words, don't punch the tar baby) Doesn't mean there is no penalty, I've never been a parent, but..probably some kind of set penalty...like taking out the trash. Nothing big.

hehehe I'm a friggin genius. :wink:

Some people had great suggestions, just do what you think feels right and what works I guess.

I'm personally hoping for medical marijuana. :lol:

Wolf