Page 3 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 11:17 am

Nope, I cannot sing for toffee.

When I was a child I hated singing myself, so when the rest of the children sang in assembly, I used to just listen.
My mum said I used to sing when I was a toddler, but since then she's never, ever heard me sing. When I say, ''what's that song called, by (so-and-so)?'' and she says, ''sing it to me'', and I almost get into a rage.

How do NT pop stars sing then, if it's something to do with the Aspie brain?

ActingUpAgain
Raven
Raven

24 Oct 2011, 11:33 am

Been singing on stage for years. It's where I'm most comfortable. And from what I've been told it shows (if I tried to say that any differently, I'd sound arrogant).

It always amazes people how different I am when performing (singing or acting). Once I step off the stage (quite literally), and people come by to compliment me, I've had to learn how to say Thank You and make eye contact while doing so. Confused a lot of people early on when I clammed up. :lol:

LongJohnSilver
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Oct 2011, 11:51 am

I can sing pretty well, and in fact I have always been a good singer. Both of my parents were good singers, so I know where my abilities came from. I was in the Kids' Chorale at my church at the age of 3 1/2, and I sang my first solo in front of the entire congregation on my sixth birthday. I had an incredible voice range, and could have easily qualified for the Vienna Boy's Choir had I tried out for it. When my voice changed, I kept the higher registers by practicing them every day. For two years I had a range of five octaves, even six on a good day.

Then I got strep throat, and I completely lost my voice for a week. I was barely able to speak during my second week of recovery, and by the end of the third week I could actually sing a few notes. However, my voice sounded like a gravel truck, and my voice range was less than an octave. I had to work on my voice for three years to bring it back to about half the quality I had before my illness. I now have a range of three octaves, and it isn't likely to improve any more than that. My voice quality is adequate, but certainly not as pure or strong as a Broadway actor's anymore. - LJS

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 3:30 pm

Joe90 wrote:
When I was a child I hated singing myself, so when the rest of the children sang in assembly, I used to just listen.

When I was in school I just lip synced and never actually sang. As far as I know no one ever noticed that I faked. I only had to do music in grade school. After that I never had a music class. In sixth grade I was in a remedial math class instead and after that I was in special classes and schools.

In reform school they tried to make me sing once but even they couldn't make me.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 5:56 pm

hanyo wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

When I was in school I just lip synced and never actually sang. As far as I know no one ever noticed that I faked. I only had to do music in grade school. After that I never had a music class. In sixth grade I was in a remedial math class instead and after that I was in special classes and schools.

In reform school they tried to make me sing once but even they couldn't make me.

I never sang in elementary school as all the songs they had sucked and I refused to sing them. In middle school we actually sang good music (Les Mis) so I sang, and somehow I sang in front my parents and other people a few times and they have dragged me to Church Choir a few times. Both my parents are good singers, especially my father, who seems to sing all the solos wherever I go. I think I sing better when I'm not trying to sing a specific song, so I think I might have a good voice, I just can't follow songs correctly. I also have a hilarious video of me rapping off of the top of my head somewhere.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 7:09 pm

I can sing well, and have always had a passion for music. I also took vocal music each year in high school, as I loved performing in front of others.

Instruments, on the other hand, I found confusing, and the guitar hurt my fingers. :x

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

NZaspiegirl016
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Oct 2011, 12:19 am

I think I'm a good singer. My sister says I can't sing. However, I just think she's jealous. She's not exactly the greatest singer, but she thinks she is. Anyway, I've sung the same song in two talent quests: Taylor Swift's "Should've Said No" The first was at a school camp and I won. My sister thought this was just because they didn't want to upset me. So I entered another on holiday. I didn't win this one, but I got a special mention. I was happy, but my sister said "Special mentions are to make the suck people feel good" I've recorded myself singing that song again and put it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wppzuDFwzP0 That's the link. If you can, I'd like your opinions.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

25 Oct 2011, 12:32 am

NZaspiegirl016 wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wppzuDFwzP0[/youtube] That's the link. If you can, I'd like your opinions.

I think it's a little bit rough around the edges, and a little off key, but I like it. :)

As for me, I only sing well when I have a key reference. So I'll turn my iPod on before I sing a song out loud. It makes a huge difference. :lol:

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2011, 10:22 pm

Speaking of singing, I really need some advice. My community chorus concert is coming up this weekend and I'm a little bit nervous. Not because of the singing part, but because of the way I present myself on stage. I'm worried I'm going to appear too boring or serious, which is true for the most part since I don't make very good eye contact. Hopefully with 50-60 other people on stage with me, no one will notice but its still concerning, especially as an Aspie. Any other Aspie singers out there who can help me deal with this? Thanks!

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 12:58 am

^ I think the best thing is to just focus on the music and enjoying singing and dont worry what the audience is thinking. They will unlikely be looking just at you, there will be a lot of people singing too look at. So I think dont worry....

Taking a break.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2011, 9:35 pm

Also, for some bizarre reason, I cannot hold notes too long and I think its either because I might have asthma or I'm very small-chested. It seems like the female singers who are big-busted have more powerful voices and can hold notes longer, unless someone can give me some examples of singers who aren't like this.

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Oct 2011, 11:08 pm

I sing very well and love to do so. I hold notes well. I did grow up in a VERY musical family.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 11:13 pm

I'm good at singing, but I think this is due to years of intensive training and experience. My income aside from the DSP comes solely from singing. I've done all styles of singing, been in many choirs and formed and run my own, as of the last few years I've mainly sung as a classical scholar (church services, weddings, and funerals) and been paid to perform my original piano/voice music at pubs and clubs. I won't share a direct link to any recordings here, but if anyone would like to hear some of my original music just PM me.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2011, 11:19 pm

nikaTheJellyfish wrote:
I sing very well and love to do so. I hold notes well. I did grow up in a VERY musical family.

See, I'm not from a musical or artistic family at all, which makes it even harder to do music for a living!!

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 11:20 pm

I can't sing in front of people. I choke to death. True story.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 11:33 pm

peaceloveerin wrote:
Also, for some bizarre reason, I cannot hold notes too long and I think its either because I might have asthma or I'm very small-chested. It seems like the female singers who are big-busted have more powerful voices and can hold notes longer, unless someone can give me some examples of singers who aren't like this.

frank sinatra built up his aerobic capacity [holding notes on a given lungfull of air] by swimming underwater laps at the pool until he could swim 6 laps underwater. he did this so he could emulate the long unbroken phrasing of his employer at the time, tommy dorsey the nonpareil trombonist. by all accounts frank was not a big-chested man. he might've had unusual lung capacity, though, in terms of density of alveoli. nevertheless, the length of his phrasing was unparalleled in pops.