Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 6:16 am

While moving, I was able to lift things others couldn't and I got thing cool reaction of, "whoa!" It was a rather big TV that one guy couldn't lift himself and needed help with so I just picked it up and carried it. There was also a changing table and a recliner.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 6:28 am

At my old construction job I lost 100% of my arm wrestles and people thought I was laughably weak.
At my current restaurant job I win 100% of my arm wrestles and people think I'm scary strong lol

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 6:50 am

Imagine 4 80 lbs bags of concrete in a stack, one on the other. I took one foot and slid them a few feet back. I stood with my back to it and moved them back with the heel part of my foot. It was at home and I got the 8O look. :lol:

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 7:58 am

I am freakishly strong for my size. Earlier this week some nice fellow was trying to help me to my with my bags of planting soil. I simply picked them all up and walked out the door. I used to be better though, one time I carried a couch from the basement, up to my daughters room on the second floor of the house. My oldest daughter is like this as well. She carried a stove up from her dad's basement for me last year.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 9:39 am

Not scary strong but scary intense. I take marshal arts classes and I get reactions because of my intensity, especially since I'm older than 95% of the students.

nunctecognovi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Apr 2011, 9:53 am

My specialty are jars. I can open any of them almost without effort.

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 10:08 am

I am stronger than average and have had moments of scary strongness. The one incident that still blows my mind happened about 19 years ago. Just before one of my many fainting episodes, I had my hand on a locked door and was about to open it. At that moment, I blacked out ... when I came around, I realized I had ripped the door open splitting the 2 X 4s on multiple parts of the frame and still had sufficient remaining power to swing the door open with enough force to slam it against the corner of a nearby desk, actually putting a large dent in the metal door. 8O

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 10:58 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
Not scary strong but scary intense. I take marshal arts classes and I get reactions because of my intensity, especially since I'm older than 95% of the students.

Frozen in time? Other than experience in life I feel like I'm 20. I still put quarters in the spiral gumball machine and watch them ramp down. :lol:

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 11:04 am

Yes, but it's definitely a mental will-power thing. I'm a girl and I don't look particularly strong. I usually get comments when I lift heavy things. I used to be a lifeguard, and I was the only girl who could lift a guard boat by herself. I used to get bullied in middle school, but I would dominate the fitness tests. I beat the entire class, including the guys in the timed arm hang and push ups. I come off as really wimpy, so that made me an even bigger freak in school.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Apr 2011, 11:22 am

I was helping someone move home and one part involved getting a double mattress up a narrow flight of stairs.
Two or three people were huffing and shoving it from below, pushing it up towards a small balcony at the top of the stairs where I was.
So I just reached over and pulled it straight up with one arm and no effort.
It was only when I heard the surprised "What the?! Who managed that - who's up there?" from below that I realised what I'd done.

BTW: I am living proof that the word "puny" actually describes someone muscular. :lol:

ZeroGravitas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2011, 11:25 am

I confess I may be able to fistfight a grizzly bear.

Until that day, I won't know for sure the limits of my brute strength.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt156929.html - How to annoy me

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 11:56 am

Mdyar wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

Frozen in time? Other than experience in life I feel like I'm 20. I still put quarters in the spiral gumball machine and watch them ramp down. :lol:

Mentally I don't feel older. My body complains a lot more. It's weird. Do people feel different internally as they get older? I sometimes feel very much like I did when I was a child.

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 1:45 pm

my SO is freakishly strong, especially considering he does very little physical activity and has low muscle tone. on multiple occassions ive seen him pick up a 3 seat sofa sleeper (very heavy with the mechanisms inside), lift it over his head, and carry it by himself. my 5 yo autie is exceptionally strong for his age as well, and again has low muscle tone.

i sometimes wonder if part of it is that they dont feel typical pain when overexerting, as they both have a decreased pain response, but thats just supposition.

K - 6 yrs med/school dx classic autism
C - 8 yrs NT
N - 15 yrs school dx AS

ZeroGravitas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2011, 3:21 pm

My guess is that this is real, to some degree, and probably caused by a combination of factors such as our poor proprioception and hyposensitivity to pain.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt156929.html - How to annoy me

andriarose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Apr 2011, 4:12 pm

I'm a small female and have always been crazy strong. When I was 14 my school started a girls' lifting club for female athletes... I was 5'1, 120, and could bench 160. People couldn't believe it. I was the smallest girl there and I set the record.

ZeroGravitas wrote:
My guess is that this is real, to some degree, and probably caused by a combination of factors such as our poor proprioception and hyposensitivity to pain.

I have to agree with your observation. I'm realizing how true it is right now. I'm working part time as a machinist in a lumber mill, which involves a lot of heavy lifting. I'm sitting here at this very moment thinking "Why on earth does my upper back hurt so bad?" and then I realize maybe I shouldn't have been lifting some of the things that I did today.

I also tend to be covered in bruises and couldn't tell you what I did to cause them. I don't think it's a hyposensitivity to pain exactly, it's more that I kind of... absorb(?) the pain. My sense of touch is completely out of whack. Light touches and such drive me insane but pain doesn't really get to me. I could have a piece of hair fall on my neck and the sensation will bother me for the next half hour, but I can smash my hand under a heavy piece of wood and forget about it 5 minutes later. 8O

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 4:25 pm

No. I wish. :oops: But then, I am hypersensitive to pain, so maybe hyposensitivity does have to do with it.