Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 4:19 pm

I'm interested in Asperger's.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 4:23 pm

I wouldn't really call it an obsession for me, any more than I would say I'm obsessed with Reynaud's Syndrome, but I've done a lot of research on both just because I have them and I think it's a good idea to be informed about your own conditions so you know how to deal with them. XD But there are things I'd rather do besides research Asperger's and autism.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 4:26 pm

Well, if it's part of you, is it an obsession?

I mean, if you were diagnosed with cancer and you learned eveything you could about cancer and its treatment would it be considered an obsession or diligent course of action? (...not that cancer and autism have anything to do with the other besides being a dx) What if you were cured of cancer and went on to be a cancer advocate, founding a nonprofit for cancer research and teaching others what you have learned?

Obsession suggests something negative, that restricts your life. Being intensely interested in learning more about yourself and your dx isn't inherently negative.

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 5:31 pm

I'm definitely very interested in Aspergers and autism these days, but I wouldn't categorize this interest as an obsession or "special interest." In many ways, it is similar to my extreme interest in my own kids, for example. To me, it seems perfectly normal to be pre-occupied with your own psyche or people/things that directly affect your day to day life. IMO, an obsession or special interest is something that comes from a place you can't entirely explain. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Catamount on 07 Apr 2011, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2011, 5:47 pm

Never knew what Asperger's was until about 4 weeks ago. Have purchased and read 7 or 8 books and countless websites on it since. I would say that counts as an obsession.

Teebst
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Apr 2011, 8:07 am

Yes

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 8:20 am

JeremyNJ1984 wrote:
I was wondering if you found yourself researching all their is to know on Aspergers and it itself becomes one or your only obsession?

Yes it was my obsession starting from when I was 17 (that was when I learned about Asperger) all the way until I was 21. After 21 it was replaced by other obsessions -- mainly social rejection that I face -- at which point I no longer cared what its called. But before 21 I was unaware of the very real social difficulties I was facing. So back then it was just an interesting mindgame to try and study all I possibly can about Asperger, just for the curiocity's sake.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 9:20 am

I'm very interested in it, but I wouldn't say that I'm obsessed.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 11:15 am

JeremyNJ1984 wrote:
I was wondering if you found yourself researching all their is to know on Aspergers and it itself becomes one or your only obsession?

Yep, I would say it's a veeeery big interest of mine. Probably not quite an obsession, though, because according to my understanding of an obsession, it would have to be something which significantly impairs one's ability to function effectively.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 12:13 pm

when I learn about something that peaks my interest I learn everything about it, at this point I probably know as much about ASD as my therapist

That said, it's not as intense as my "proper" special interests; Travis (rock band), Ludovico Einaudi (classical artist) and political science, but it's still something I can devour books about.

IntrepidWolf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2011, 2:55 pm

keira wrote:
I think my obsession is me :lol:
On a more serious note I am really into figuring myself out, trying to understand why and how I am different from others, how I could help myself to become a better person and find some inner comfort. AS has a lot to do with it so yes, at this point AS is my biggest obsession.

The solution stems from a problem. By knowing the problem better, we can devise a solution better. I think this is why people feel the need/want to look back at a list of aspergers symtoms. 1. we like lists anyways. 2. we can tie the symptoms to past expierences, validating the diagnosis. 3. we can focus on our weaknesses and evuentally overcome them.

I find that I have many "obcessions", rituals, routines, etc. But I try to control them, not let them consume me. I have been consumed by destructive obcessions before. Luckily I had enough willpower to stop them before they caused any major, lasting or long term damage (world of warcraft playing was one, played 8-12 hours a day sometimes =/ I quit WoW 6 months ago, 6 months before I was diagnosed with aspergers, so that proves your not cursed by your wants and obcessions, be it as it may they are stronger obcessions than many NT's

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 6:28 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
mine is at the moment......I started learning a lot about partly because I'm studying abnormal psych and it has become an obsession.......in fact I'm quite addicted to this site!
Too bad we can't talk on the phone more, while you spend a lot of time on this forum :(

I am obsessed with autism talks/conferences. I have cut myself from the books because I know that once I start, I would need to keep on reading. I really miss this forum, too, especially back when I spent hours formulating really long and thought-out responses to people's posts. I can't wait until I have more time again. It's all about time, no pun intended.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 11:35 pm

MathGirl wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
mine is at the moment......I started learning a lot about partly because I'm studying abnormal psych and it has become an obsession.......in fact I'm quite addicted to this site!
Too bad we can't talk on the phone more, while you spend a lot of time on this forum :(

I am obsessed with autism talks/conferences. I have cut myself from the books because I know that once I start, I would need to keep on reading. I really miss this forum, too, especially back when I spent hours formulating really long and thought-out responses to people's posts. I can't wait until I have more time again. It's all about time, no pun intended.

hehe I love puns and word play :)

I've been staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning lately on this forum or reading books about AS....even though I keep promising myself I won't do this as I need SLEEP! It is extremely addictive! It really has become an obsession for me. This is a very inconvenient time for me to be perseverating so much.. Well the semester will be over soon and I will have a short window of time to talk on the phone and read and sleep....before the next school semester begins :roll:

Sheldon96
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2011, 4:12 am

As soon as I learned what is is, and that I might have it, I started researching like mad, going on every website I could find, downloading PDFs about it for information, looking at the diagnostic criterea, and I still do it, on an almost daily basis. I love learning about Autistic spectrum disorders, and conditions that coincide with them, such as Hyperlexia, which is a particular interest of mine as well. It's got to the point where I think I know nearly everything there is to know about AS, and it makes me proud :)
Though Pokemon is my main obsession, and has been for a long, long time.