Disturbing Blog Post/article

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2011, 5:43 pm

From theautismherald.com

It used to mean back in the day when a college education meant something and that was the way you could land a job the aspies were the ones who were the most successful and the aspies were the first ones to get the job. Usually aspies would become astronomers, computer scientists or engineers and they would be really good at their jobs and they would become very successful people. But of course the days of the college education are long gone and we have reached a society that a college education will simply just not get you very far unless you know how to meet people well and you know how to use good social skills to get a job. In today’s world whether or not you get a job and become successful depends on whether or not you have friends and family members to hook you up with a career and hook you up with a job. It’s not what you know it’s who you know and that is how the world has worked the past ten years and most aspies really do not know anybody and they certainly do not have any friends or family members to fall back on to hook them up with a job and give them word of mouth so they can get hired. A lot of aspies out there are very college educated but go jobless because they do not meet people well so they starve and go without.

I don't want to have to starve and go without, otherwise, i'll feel like a loser! Do any of you find this blog disturbing?

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 6:00 pm

Yes, because it's always been about who you know. The person who wrote this article probably is around my age, and seems to think that things were different back then. He probably also thinks that good girls in high school went for the nice guys, and that people didn't get screwed over by their boss. This disturbs me mainly because this person's ignorance is annoying. As if all engineers are aspies.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 6:32 pm

I agree with Mindslave.

As a person old enough to have been working since back in the time he probably thinks he's writing about, he's wrong. He's wrong in all the ways Mindslave lists.

The good news is that there are succesful people on this board who have put their special interests to work and get paid for it. So it's not like you are doomed because you weren't born into this mythical Golden Age.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 7:20 pm

And I agree with both Janissy and Mindslave. Why the hell does the article writer think anything was any different fifteen or twenty years ago?. A successful career was much more likely if you had the right connections 100 and 1000 years ago.

Fortunately, luck, intelligence, and skill are and always have been important as well, so Aspergians can still get ahead in spite of it all.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 4:23 pm

I think it's because a lot of things have changed in the past 10 years, especially in the last 5. Watch a movie from 1999 versus today. Big difference. Watch professional wrestling in 2005 versus today. Big difference. Wrestling in 2000 versus 2005 is different. Today people communicate over Facebook and text message. It's been like this for the last 5 years, but especially in the last 3, all the things I listed are worse and more superficial. People actually used cell phones to call each other 10 years ago. So I think this guy takes that idea and runs with it. 10 years...minus 10 more years...minus 10 more years...equals much more simplicity. Not so, Grasshopper.