Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 9:47 am

I've been seaching the internet for local aspie support groups and all I can find are groups for parents of kids with AS or doctors who treat AS patients. Why do they need support? they're acting like we are just a problem that has to be dealt with.I want to meet some people my age with AS...anybody have any ideas?

Ryebot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2006, 7:45 pm

have you thought about starting a support group in your area primarily for adults with AS/autism? i haven't had any luck finding a support group like that in richmond so i am considering starting one myself.

emc
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jul 2006, 8:43 pm

Our local group, had an adult group set up already.

From my reading, and guesswork, I would think if you contact a local Autism or Asperger group, or a main group in your state, say in a big city
(sorry I only have basic knowledge of US geography),
just start contacting people by email if that's all you feel able to do,
and they may know of other adults or adult groups more local to you,
and can put you in touch with them!

Where I am we have a local group, of which to my last knowledge 100 adults are members.
Some are just silent financial members.
A few attended a social group, a different group attends the local seminars,
and another group who are no longer members but met through the local forum,
started meeting up.

You don't have to have a group to meet people, you might just find one other person, initially.