Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

kerryt84
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Apr 2011, 1:35 pm

I have this problem where I hate saying people's names. I always give people nicknames so I don't have to say their real names. I hate people saying my name too, luckily because I give them a nickname most people give me a nickname too. It just feels wrong to say names and I find it really hard. Does anyone else have this problem or am I just weird? Lol

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 1:43 pm

You might be weird, but that's ok. I don't use people's names while I am talking to them because I either can't remember the name or I don't recognize the person.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 1:57 pm

I usually only use people's names when I'm a) writing to them or b) talking about them to someone else (I don't mean in a gossipy way, I just mean referring to them.) If someone says my name when I'm talking to them, especially if I'm the only other person there, it feels like they are very aware of the boundary between us that makes us two different people, whereas if they just offhandedly say "you," we might as well be one person with the same brain working toward a common purpose. Which I like. As weird as that sounds. So I guess that's why I don't like using people's names out loud. It makes my sister mad that I just say "you," which I understand, but addressing her by name just feels so formal and distant.

All of that was to say: yes, I'm the same way!

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 2:00 pm

My husband is 'Hun'... it feels weird and uncomfortable to use his name.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 2:02 pm

I do if I need to get someone's attention. Otherwise it feels weird to be talking to "Tom" and say something like. " Did you like the movie ,Tom?" He knows who he is.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 2:08 pm

I don't use names either, but I equally don't like nicknames. I prefer people call me by a nickname though, which I used here.

XLCR
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2011, 2:12 pm

What Lelia said.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 2:14 pm

I just mix-up and forget names all the time, so I usually attract attention by non-verbal or calling hey to him/her.

PinkFeelingBlue
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2011, 3:11 pm

draelynn wrote:
My husband is 'Hun'... it feels weird and uncomfortable to use his name.

Me too. I call him "Hun" or "My love". I don't think I hardly ever use his name, or him mine. I don't call people by name in general.

Unless I need to get their attention, if I am standing there or on the phone why do I need to address them by name?

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 3:28 pm

Yes, I have this, too. I tend to avoid saying someone's name unless I have to. And, yes, "feels wrong" explains it about as well as anything else.

It is eerie to see how many things I thought were just me are actually shared by a lot of other people. It is good to see it though - at least I know the planet I came from was populated, and I'm not really the last survivor... :lol:

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Sahmiam
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2011, 4:34 pm

It's not something I've ever stopped and considered one way or the other, but now that you mention it, I rarely use other people's names, even with my own children. [From birth, I have called them nicknames or by their role in the family.] I can remember titles easily, but names are difficult.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 5:24 pm

I rarely use people's names, except to get their attention.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 5:42 pm

If you're weird then so am I :)

Rest of text deleted by moderator at the poster's request.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 6:07 pm

I don't have any problems using names, but I have a very difficult time matching names to faces. It takes me a few seconds to remember a person's name, and I'm always in fear that I will use the wrong name. If I see a person at a distance, I rehearse their name, so that I can use greet them with it, but if I run into someone unexpectedly, I get into trouble. I also have trouble knowing when it is appropriate to use a nickname, and when it is not appropriate.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 12:44 am

Hmm I thought I might have been the only one with this issue...I usually avoid saying peoples names by just talking to them without adressing them, sometimes I might say dude. but for some reason I can't seem to say peoples names when I am talking to them untill I really get to know them. Its weird because even if I want to I can't like I might even attempt but then just end up using some other way of adressing them.