Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 2:00 pm

Yo' wass up. How many of y'all like Rap or Rock?

Last edited by Captain_Brown on 29 Jul 2006, 9:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 3:55 pm

Are you West Coast or East Coast?

Tim

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 4:13 pm

East Coast

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 6:00 pm

Dirty South here.

Tim

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2006, 2:04 pm

Rock is my first music love, and I'm pretty old so, I've heard most of it. Music is one of my obssessions and my tastes and hunger are both enormous. As I have matured my preferences have evolved and I now listen to a lot of older jazz masters from the '50s, '60s and '70s. There is a huge body of fabulous work to discover there, when we get time to explore.

I guess one of my all time favorites is Jimi Hendrix, but Led Zeppelin, Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd, and The Beatles get equal praise from me.

I do have a difficult time with Rap music, because of the rather rough language and mature themes often covered graphically on many CDs. I'm no prude or "hay-tah", but raising 2 young kids (5 and 7), I can't enjoy popular rap while the kids are around. All of the elements that make rap so popular are among my favorite sounds, but I rarely see an artist whose whole CD can be trusted to not pump "F" words down my kids throats. I really need to stick with lyrical art that is either "G rated" or, at the very least, the double meanings should be subtle. There are quite a few classic rock songs that are not suitable for youngsters, either for that matter, like many Rolling Stones hits.

So for now I will leave the rap in the bins and when the kids are old enough for "that part" of their education, there will be lots of grown-up discoveries to make in all forms of art.

Right now I'm spinning Amon Tobin, "Supermodified".

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2006, 10:32 am

So what about you Captain Brown?
What east coast musical pursuits have captured your imagination?
I understand you're 11? right? When I was 11 (in 1966!!) and I wanted to go to a concert, my dad took me. I had the coolest dad that has ever lived. He didn't care much for most of the music I liked, but he was a musician and tried to keep an open mind. He taught me to play guitar.

We went to Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, Eric Burden and the Animals, The Beach Boys, War, Marvin Gaye, and several other country and jazz artists. He tried to make it a monthly special treat for me, so I was very lucky where music was concerned. I loved rock, but more important to me was "LIVE" performance, so I kept an open mind also. He taught me that, too.

How 'bout you? What do you like?

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2006, 6:22 pm

I don't mind some rock, alot of RAP can be poo but theirs a few I really like.