Reasons/Benefits of dating Aspies and other HFAs

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Starlight-Supernova
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2011, 4:57 am

I agree with HopeGrows. The condition doesn't really effect how they turn out...I've talked to people with different problems and I can say I get on with a few....as some of them can be very hurtful and nasty....that isn't their condition that makes them so...it's the personality that drives them to be so awful to others.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Apr 2011, 3:24 pm

HopeGrows wrote:
So, if you want to try to have people understand that dating someone on the spectrum isn't a big deal, why don't you try to persuade your audience that they should evaluate people based on their character, rather than their diagnosis? Because you can find wonderful partners - who happen to be Aspie - if you're open to dating an Aspie. Just because there is no etiology between Asperger's and the characteristics of a good mate doesn't mean they're mutually exclusive either: a good mate can be Aspie; a bad mate can be Aspie. I hope the message you get across to your audience is that Asperger's doesn't define a person as a good mate, and it doesn't disqualify them from being a good mate, either.

Sounds like a good idea but I think society cares to much about labels to be perceptive of it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 8:33 am

nick007 wrote:
HopeGrows wrote:
So, if you want to try to have people understand that dating someone on the spectrum isn't a big deal, why don't you try to persuade your audience that they should evaluate people based on their character, rather than their diagnosis? Because you can find wonderful partners - who happen to be Aspie - if you're open to dating an Aspie. Just because there is no etiology between Asperger's and the characteristics of a good mate doesn't mean they're mutually exclusive either: a good mate can be Aspie; a bad mate can be Aspie. I hope the message you get across to your audience is that Asperger's doesn't define a person as a good mate, and it doesn't disqualify them from being a good mate, either.

Sounds like a good idea but I think society cares to much about labels to be perceptive of it.

I'd have to agree with you. But I also did want to get across the general point:

HopeGrows wrote:
Asperger's doesn't define a person as a good mate, and it doesn't disqualify them from being a good mate, either.